2021 Best Free DVD Ripper Software: Copy Protected DVDs with Ease
Ever thought of ripping DVD movie to your hard drive? Will it be nicer to watch DVD movies on the go? Have you ever doubted why you always run into trouble when ripping some commercial discs? Firstly let's look at the full story:
I live in the USA and use equipment purchased in the USA. I have recently came upon an opportunity to purchase some Region 4 DVD's. Will any program 'rip' these protected region-locked DVDs into a format that my Plex server will be able to recognize and play back on my televisions?."
For the sake of avoiding unfair use of DVD contents, DVD manufacturers introduced DVD copy protection and encryption schemes. Till now, dozens of DVD copy protections have emerged, such as Content Scramble System (CSS), Region Code Enhanced (RCE), User Operation Prohibition (UOP), Sony ARccOS DVD protection, the Analog Protection System, Disney X-Project (99-title), Playlist Obfuscation (which Lionsgate discs are always encoded with), etc. These encryption measures are purposedly applied to stop piracy, but on the other hand, they prevent movie goers from backing up copy-protected DVDs for personal use.
Table of Contents
- • Can HandBrake rip copy-protected DVD?
- • Can VLC rip protected DVD?
- • Download clean and free DVD ripper to copy protected DVD to ISO, MP4, etc.
- • How to rip a protected DVD in Windows 10?
- • How to rip a protected DVD to ISO image?
- • How to copy a protected DVD to MP4?
- • How to determine if a DVD is copy-protected?
- • Can you damage a copy-protected DVD by making a copy of it on computer?
Is It Possible to Rip Copy-Protected Movie DVDs?
Yes. Ripping DVDs, even if they are commercial, copyrighted, and copy-protected, becomes a simple button-hitting operation as long as you get a right DVD ripper.
Yet when it comes to free DVD ripper for copy protected DVDs, it's hard to say.
1. Can HandBrake rip copy-protected DVD?
HandBrake is a free open-source and world-famous tool that can rip DVD to MP4 and MKV. However, it cannot rip DVD with copy protection on its own. If you try to rip an encrypted DVD with HandBrake, you may get errors such as "No Valid Source Found", "No Title(s) error", and "The source may be copy-protected. Handbrake doesn't support the removal of copy protections". Installing a third-party program libdvdcss may help HandBrake to rip some encrypted DVDs, but not all.
2. Can VLC rip protected DVD?
Although it mainly works as a media player, it can rip DVDs, including some copy-protected discs, to digital files. But if VLC can't rip the entire DVD, or delivers a resulting file with audio missing, or encounters other technical issues, there may be a kind of copy protection mechanism that VLC cannot handle.
Don't worry. Although HandBrake and VLC are not good software programs to rip commercial copyrighted DVDs, it's still possible to easily copy protected DVDs for free with WinX DVD Ripper, like rip the popular Oscar winners Manchester by the Sea movie DVD, Moonlight movie DVD, Knives Out DVD, Frozen/II DVD, etc.
WinX DVD Ripper is totally free DVD ripping software, which has been an expert in encrypted DVD ripping and backup for over 10 years, favored by countless users and editors. It is able to remove DVD copy protections and rip DVD to digital format, like MP4 (HEVC or H.264), AVI, MOV, MPEG, WMV, MP3, etc.
With WinX DVD Ripper, You Can:
- Bypass DVD protection schemes of sorts like CSS, region code, RCE, UOPs, Sony ARccOS, APS, AACS 2.0, Disney X-Project (99-title), Playlist Obfuscation.
- Free rip copy protected DVDs to ISO, MP4/H.264, AVI, MPEG, WMV, FLV, MOV, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Samsung, Xbox, PSP, etc.
- Freely rip a feature-length copy-protected movie DVD swiftly as short as 5 minutes by using Intel QSV and NVIDIA CUDA/NVENC hardware acceleration, multi-core CPU, and other cutting-edge technologies.
How to Rip Protected DVDs with Free WinX DVD Ripper?
Firstly, please free download and install this free DVD ripping software on your computer.
Tips: This is a totally free DVD ripper. No malware, no spyware, no adware. 100% clean and safe.
Step 1: Insert the DVD that you want to decrypt and rip into the disc drive, launch WinX DVD Ripper and click "DVD Disc" button to import the DVD. The DVD ripper will read and analyze the DVD info, and auto check the right DVD main title to save you a lot of trouble.
Step 2: Select your target video format or device on Output Profile panel. The most commonly used MP4 format is available. Go to "General Profiles" and you will find "MP4 Video". Plus, it allows you to create an ISO image of the disc, so that you can burn it to another DVD later on for safekeeping. Clone DVD to ISO image profile can be found from "DVD Backup Profile".
You should also choose where to store the ripped DVD movie files by clicking "Browse" button.
* If you want to copy a protected DVD to computer, choose a file folder of your computer.
* If you want to copy a protected DVD to USB flash drive or external hard drive, connect your storage device to computer and specify your device as the destination folder. Make sure that you have enough space to store the output file.
Tips: To deal with strictly encrypted DVDs, you'd better choose "Safe Mode" which is located at the right sidebar of WinX DVD Ripper's main interface.
Step 3: Hit "RUN" and WinX DVD Ripper will begin DVD backup.
[Video Tutorial] How to Rip Copy-Protected DVDs with WinX DVD Ripper
Still have trouble about how to copy protected DVDs with this free DVD ripping software? Please feel free to Email Us >>
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to rip a protected DVD in Windows 10?
WinX DVD Ripper is fully compatible with Windows 10, be it 32 bit or 64 bit system. Simply download and install this DVD ripper on your Windows 10 powered computer and then follow your guide above to rip encrypted DVD on Windows 10.
2. How to rip a protected DVD to ISO image?
Install and launch WinX DVD Ripper, click DVD Disc button to load target DVD, choose Clone DVD to ISO Image from DVD Backup category, and then hit RUN to start making an ISO copy of a protected DVD. Check for a detailed guide: How to Create ISO from DVD.
3. How to copy a protected DVD to MP4?
Install and open WinX DVD Ripper, hit DVD Disc button to import source DVD, select MP4 Video from General Profiles category, and then press RUN to begin to convert the DVD.
4. How to determing if a DVD is copy-protected?
Almost all store-bought DVDs are protected with DRM (Digital Rights Management), but they don't say in plain text that it is encrypted. Some programs will tell you that your DVD is copy-protected when try to make a copy of it. And some don't give you a prompt but just give some strange errors or unplayable output. If you fail to replicate a DVD with HandBrake or something else, then it is probably due to copy protection.
5. Can you damage a copy-protected DVD by making a copy of it on computer?
No. A DVD cannot be ruined just by reading or copying. But you need to be careful while using DVD, because it is easy to be scratched. What's more, a faulty reader may also scratch your DVD. So, take good care of your vulnerable DVD discs and always make backup copies.
Free Download WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to Bring Super Great DVD Ripping Experience
- Support almost all region-locked and DRM-protected DVDs like latest DVD movies/TV shows, Disney 99-title DVDs, Lionsgate title-obfuscated DVDs, workout DVDs and special DVDs by removing protections incl. CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, Disney DRM and more complex schemes.
- Convert and rip any DVD to MP4 (H.264), HEVC, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, MPEG2, iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Mobile, Xbox, Sony PlayStation, smart TVs etc, with ease.
- Take advantage of Hardware Acceleration with integration of Intel QSV, NVIDIA NVENC to greatly speed up DVD ripping speed & maintain nearly lossless quality.