Download Install HandBrake libdvdcss on Mac/Windows 10 to Rip Protected DVD
What is libdvdcss? How to download libdvdcss.pkg Mac or install libdvdcss.dll Windows 10 for HandBrake to decrypt movie DVD?
Q - "Handbrake problems help! I used to use handbrake to rip DVD but now I can't even do it anymore. I have a new laptop. When I got it all set up and ripped the next DVD, the pictures and sound are all scrambled. Should I download and install the libdvdcss.dll? How can I do this? Please don't recommend any alternatives that have only trail versions. Free DVD rippers that don't require any payment will be fine. Oh and I'm a Windows 10 PC user."
- Firstly, libdvdcss has been removed from HandBrake free DVD ripper since the release of version 0.9.2, and now you can only find libDVDNav in HandBrake under Tools > Preferences > Advanced > DVD Reading. HandBrake cannot rip DVDs encrypted with CSS ever since.
- Secondly, whether downloading and installing VLC libdvdcss Mac/Windows solves "HandBrake won't work" problem depends on the type of your DVD copy protection.
[Solution] Can't rip protected DVD without libdvdcss Mac, Windows?
Downloading and installing libdvdcss.pkg/libdvdcss.dll will solve your problem, but limitedly. Handbrake still doesn't work with DVDs encrypted by region code, Disney X-project DRM, RCE, Sony ArccOSm or other protection schemes. It is strongly suggested that you remove DVD encryption with WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.
What Is libdvdcss?
libdvdcss = lib (library) + dvd (DVD) + css (Content Scrambling System, a kind of DVD copy protection)
To sum up, libdvdcss is a part of the VideoLAN project, which alone is only a library that can find and guess keys to do the DVD decryption, so that CSS-protected DVDs will be played correctly. Together with media player software and free DVD rippers, such as VLC and HandBrake, libdvdcss helps read and decrypt DVDs of different regions or encrypted with CSS. And because it uses a generated list of possible player keys, libdvdcss has never been legally challenged.
More Info about libdvdcss Mac/Windows
- The latest version is libdvdcss 1.4.2.
- libdvdcss is used only for free software, like HandBrake to decrypt DVD.
- libdvdcss is allowed to run on macOS (libdvdcss El Capitan error), Windows NT 4.0 SP4 (with IE 5.0) or later, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Haiku, Solaris, QNX and OS/2.
- VLC installed with libdvdcss supports DVDs of all regions (1-6) only if you have RPC1 drives, for raw access to RPC2 drives can't be made successfully, which however is required to circumvent the region protection.
How to Download Install libdvdcss Windows (10) for HandBrake
Step 1: libdvdcss-2.dll download on Windows (10)
Step 2: You don't have to rename libdvdcss-2.dll as libdvdcss.dll. Just cut and paste the downloaded libdvdcss 2 file in your HandBrake program folder. If you didn't manually set the installation path before, it normally is "C:\Program Files\HandBrake".
Step 3: And that's all for installing HandBrake libdvdcss on Windows (10).
Best HandBrake Settings for DVD to MP4
How to Download Install libdvdcss Mac for HandBrake
Step 1: Download libdvdcss.pkg on Mac OS.
libdvdcss.pkg for Mac OS
Step 2: Double click the downloaded file to install libdvdcss on Mac. But note that there is one more step for installing libdvdcss on Mac El Capitan, because of its SIP (System Integrity Protection), which is said to remove libdvdcss by default. We found two workarounds: disable SIP and a more complicated but recommended way from a Reddit user (as below).
The second way:
1. Open a Finder window -> type "cmd+shift+G" or click "Go" and choose "Go to Folder" -> copy and paste /Library/SystemMigration/History/ -> press button "GO" -> open the folder "Migration-[random letters and numbers]" and find "QuarantineRoot" -> libdvdcss file should be in this folder.
2. Again click "Go" on the taskbar -> "Go to Folder" -> type "/usr/local/lib".
3. Cut and paste your libdvdcss file to the folder "/usr/local/lib" -> put in your admin password to finish the move and libdvdcss installation on Mac is done.
Decrypt Any Copy Protected DVDs with HandBrake Alternative
As we said before, libdvdcss is mainly for using in free DVD ripper like HandBrake to rip DVD encrypted with CSS. But the point is that there are many other kinds of DVD copy protections besides CSS, such as Sony ArccOS, UOPs, and Disney X-project DRM. If you are trying to rip Disney DVDs with HandBrake libdvdcss, there might be a "HandBrake won't rip" problem, due to its up to 98 fake titles.
If you feel like downloading installing HandBrake libdvdcss Mac/Windows is a little bit annoying and just want a much more professional and easy-to-use HandBrake alternative, try WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, which keeps constant updating to support all kinds of latest DVD copy protections.
• Remove CSS, UOP, Sony ARccOS, RCE, region, Disney DRM without 3rd-party tool.
• Rip DVD to MP4, MPEG, MOV, WMV, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Android, PSP, Xbox, etc.
• Support sources like DVD discs, ISO files and folders. Rips at NO.1 fast speed.
For example, it supports ripping Disney movie DVDs on Windows (10) at ultra-fast speed to MP4, AVI, MOV, MPEG, iPhone, iPad, Android, etc (350+ built-in profiles), due to flexible CPU use settings and support for hardware accelerated video encoding decoding technology MMX- SSE, 3DNow! and Hyperthreading.
HandBrake 1.2.0 added hardware acceleration support for Nvidia NVENC and AMD VCE. UHD videos like 4K have extremely high requirements for your equipment, especially the support for hardware acceleration. But to maximally use your hardware, try this Level-3 GPU accelerated DVD ripper, Level-3 GPU accelerated video converter.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping/copying copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
To decrypt any protected DVDs to MP4, AVI, MOV, WMV, iPhone, iPad, Android, Samsung, HTC, etc. on Mac/Windows, please try WinX DVD Ripper Platinum!