Download Install HandBrake libdvdcss to Rip Protected DVD
What is libdvdcss? It sounds complicated. How to download libdvdcss.pkg Mac or install libdvdcss.dll Windows 10 for HandBrake in order to decrypt a movie DVD?
Q - "Handbrake problems help! I used to use handbrake to rip DVD but now I can't even do it anymore. I have a new laptop. When I got it all set up and ripped the next DVD, the pictures and sound are all scrambled. Should I download and install the libdvdcss.dll? How can I do this? Please don't recommend any alternatives that have only trail versions. Free DVD rippers that don't require any payment will be fine. Oh and I'm a Windows 10 PC user."
Firstly, libdvdcss has been removed from HandBrake free DVD ripper since the release of version 0.9.2, and now you can only find libDVDNav in HandBrake under Tools > Preferences > Advanced > DVD Reading. HandBrake cannot rip DVDs encrypted with CSS ever since.
Secondly, whether downloading and installing VLC libdvdcss Mac/Windows solves "HandBrake won't work" problem depends on the type of your DVD copy protection.
[Problem] Can't rip protected DVD without libdvdcss Mac, Windows?
[Solution] Downloading and installing libdvdcss.pkg/libdvdcss.dll will solve your problem, but limitedly. Handbrake still doesn't work with DVDs encrypted by region code, Disney X-project DRM, RCE, Sony ArccOS or other protection schemes. It is strongly suggested to remove DVD encryption with WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.
What Is libdvdcss?
libdvdcss = lib (library) + dvd (DVD) + css (Content Scrambling System, a kind of DVD copy protection)
To sum up, libdvdcss is a part of the VideoLAN project, which alone is only a library that can find and guess keys to do the DVD decryption, so that CSS-protected DVDs will be played correctly. Together with media player software and free DVD rippers, such as VLC and HandBrake, libdvdcss helps read and decrypt DVDs of different regions or encrypted with CSS. And because it uses a generated list of possible player keys, libdvdcss has never been legally challenged.
More Info about libdvdcss Mac/Windows
- The latest version is libdvdcss 1.4.2.
- libdvdcss is used only for free software, like HandBrake to decrypt DVD.
- libdvdcss is allowed to run on macOS (libdvdcss error since El Capitan), Windows NT 4.0 SP4 (with IE 5.0) or later, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Haiku, Solaris, QNX and OS/2.
- VLC installed with libdvdcss supports DVDs of all regions (1-6) only if you have RPC1 drives, for raw access to RPC2 drives can't be made successfully, which however is required to circumvent the region protection.
How to Download Install libdvdcss Windows (10) for HandBrake
Step 2: You don't have to rename libdvdcss-2.dll as libdvdcss.dll. Just cut and paste the downloaded libdvdcss 2 file in your HandBrake program folder. If you didn't manually set the installation path before, it normally is "C:\Program Files\HandBrake".
Step 3: And that's all for installing HandBrake libdvdcss on Windows (10).
How to Download Install libdvdcss Mac for HandBrake
Step 1: Download libdvdcss.pkg on Mac OS.
libdvdcss.pkg for Mac OS
Step 2: Double click the downloaded file to install libdvdcss on Mac. But note that there is one more step for installing libdvdcss on Mac El Capitan, because of its SIP (System Integrity Protection), which is said to remove libdvdcss by default. We found two workarounds: disable SIP and a more complicated but recommended way from a Reddit user (as below).
The second way:
1. Open a Finder window -> type "cmd+shift+G" or click "Go" and choose "Go to Folder" -> copy and paste /Library/SystemMigration/History/ -> press button "GO" -> open the folder "Migration-[random letters and numbers]" and find "QuarantineRoot" -> libdvdcss file should be in this folder.
2. Again click "Go" on the taskbar -> "Go to Folder" -> type "/usr/local/lib".
3. Cut and paste your libdvdcss file to the folder "/usr/local/lib" -> put in your admin password to finish the move and libdvdcss installation on Mac is done.
Decrypt Any Copy Protected DVDs with HandBrake Alternative
Libdvdcss is mainly used in free DVD ripper like HandBrake to rip DVD encrypted with CSS. But libdvdcss can't help the DVD ripper freeware to crack all CSS keys, let alone many other advanced DVD copy protections besides CSS, such as Region Code, AACS 2.0, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, and Disney X-project DRM. If you are trying to rip Disney DVDs with HandBrake libdvdcss, there might be a "HandBrake won't rip" problem, due to its up to 98 fake titles.
If downloading installing HandBrake libdvdcss Mac/Windows is too complicated for you, why not try a much more professional and easier-to-use HandBrake alternative, just like WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, which constantly updates with all kinds of latest DVD copy protections.
- Remove all CSS keys, AACS 2.0, UOP, Sony ARccOS, RCE, region, Disney DRM without 3rd-party tool.
- Rip DVD to MP4, MPEG, MOV, WMV, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Android, PSP, Xbox, etc. (handbrake can't do) and 350+ built-in profiles .
- 1:1 backup DVD to ISO image, copy DVD with full/main title.
- Support sources like DVD discs, ISO files and folders.
- Rip DVD at NO.1 fast speed due to Level-3 GPU accelerated video encoding decoding technology MMX- SSE, 3DNow! and Hyperthreading.
Without the need to download libdvdcss, the Handbrake alternative will:
* For example, it supports ripping Disney DVD movies on Windows (10) while Handbrake gets confused with the 99 fake titles.
* HandBrake 1.2.0 added hardware acceleration support for Nvidia NVENC and AMD VCE. But to maximally use your hardware, the Handbrake alternative can rip faster.
Don't want to bother with the libdvdcss for Handbrake and want to decrypt any protected DVDs to MP4, AVI, MOV, WMV, iPhone, iPad, Android, Samsung, HTC, etc. on Mac/Windows within clicks, please try WinX DVD Ripper Platinum!
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping/copying copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.