Download Install HandBrake libdvdcss to Rip Protected DVDs
What is libdvdcss? How to download libdvdcss.pkg Mac or install libdvdcss.dll Windows 10/11 for HandBrake in order to decrypt a movie DVD?
Q - "Downloading Libdvdcss to handbrake for copy protected DVD help. When i select 'open source' it starts scanning all the titles and can’t make it through before it crashes. I’ve been trying to download Libdvdcss. I am on a Mac Pro running Monterey. I have downloaded Homebrew on my terminal successfully and when I enter the code 'brew install Libdvdcss' I get the response 'command not found: brew'..."-- from Reddit
Libdvdcss has been removed from HandBrake since V0.9.2. Now you can only find libDVDNav in HandBrake under Tools > Preferences > Advanced > DVD Reading. Without libdvdcss, HandBrake cannot rip DVDs encrypted with CSS. To handle the protections, you need to manually download libdvdcss for Handbrake. Here are the steps[with pictures] to install libdvdcss for Handbrake on Windows/Mac to rip protected DVDs.
Note: Whether downloading and installing VLC libdvdcss Mac/Windows can solve the "HandBrake won't work" problems depends on the specific copy protection.
Rip Protected DVDs without Installing libdvdcss for Handbrake on Mac/Windows
Downloading and installing libdvdcss.pkg/libdvdcss.dll for Handbrake can only rip DVDs with region codes and CSS. Handbrake with libdvdcss won't work with DVDs encrypted by 99 fake titles, bad sectors, struction protections, and other advanced schemes.
Remove all DVD encryptions with WinX DVD Ripper - a more powerful FREE alternative to Handbrake and libdvdcss for Windows and Mac. It rips protected DVDs without using libdvdcss or additional tools. It supports CSS encryption, region code, Sony ARccOS, UOPs, APS, RCE, etc. and it gets updated continuously with new protections. Easily rip any protected DVD to MP4, H.264, AVI, WMV, MOV, etc.
Table of Contents
- Part 1. What Is Libdvdcss?
- Part 2. How to Download Install Libdvdcss for HandBrake on Windows (11/10)
- Part 3. How to Download Install Libdvdcss for HandBrake on Mac
- Part 4. How to Rip Protected DVDs with Handbrake Libdvdcss on Windows/Mac
- Part 5. How to Rip Protected DVDs for Free Without Installing Libdvdcss
- Part 6. Libdvdcss FAQs
Part 1. What Is Libdvdcss?
libdvdcss = lib (library) + dvd (DVD) + css (Content Scrambling System, a kind of DVD copy protection)
To sum up, libdvdcss (or libdvdcss-2.dll in some repositories) is a crucial component of the VideoLAN project, which by itself is a free and open-source software library capable of locating and guessing keys to decrypt DVDs with CSS protection, ensuring proper playback of these DVDs. When combined with media player software and free DVD rippers like VLC and HandBrake, libdvdcss enables them to read and decrypt DVDs from various regions or those encrypted with CSS. Due to its use of a generated list of possible player keys, libdvdcss has never faced any legal challenges.
More Info about libdvdcss Mac/Windows
- The latest version is libdvdcss 1.4.3.
- libdvdcss is used only for free software, like HandBrake to decrypt DVDs.
- libdvdcss is allowed to run on macOS (libdvdcss error since El Capitan), Windows NT 4.0 SP4 (with IE 5.0) or later, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Haiku, Solaris, QNX and OS/2. Many GNU/Linux distributions do not contain libdvdcss (for example, Ubuntu and SUSE Linux) due to fears of running afoul of DMCA-style laws, but they often provide the tools to let users install libdvdcss themselves.
- VLC installed with libdvdcss supports DVDs of all regions (1-6) only if you have RPC1 drives, for raw access to RPC2 drives can't be made successfully, which however is required to circumvent the region protection.
Part 2. How to Download Install Libdvdcss for HandBrake on Windows (11/10)
1. What platforms can install libdvdcss?
Libdvdcss currently can be installed on Windows NT 4.0 SP4 (with IE 5.0) or later, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Haiku, Solaris, QNX, OS/2.
Some platforms come with pre-installed libdvdcss including BackTrack, CrunchBang Linux, LinuxMCE, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, Puppy Linux 4.2.1, Slax, Super OS, Pardus, and XBMC Live.
2. Where to download and install libdvdcss-2.dll for Handbrake on Windows?
Libdvdcss is part of the VideoLAN project. The latest version of libdvdcss is 1.4.3, and users can download and install libdvdcss-2.dll on Windows 11/10/Mac from VideoLAN official site: https://download.videolan.org/pub/libdvdcss/
Now let's show you how to download and install libdvdcss/libdvdcss2.dll on Windows (11/10/8/7).
Step 2. You will get a file named libdvdcss-2.dll. You don't have to rename libdvdcss-2.dll as libdvdcss.dll. Just cut and paste the downloaded libdvdcss 2 file into your HandBrake program folder. If you didn't manually set the installation path before, it normally is "C:\Program Files\HandBrake".
Step 3. And that's all for installing HandBrake libdvdcss on Windows (11/10/7). When you open a protected DVD next time, libdvdcss-2.dll will work with Handbrake automatically to remove the copy protection and load the correct DVD data.
Part 3. How to Download Install Libdvdcss for HandBrake on Mac
Method 1. Install Libdvdcss for Handbrake on Mac Manually
Step 1. Download libdvdcss.pkg for Handbrake on Mac OS.
libdvdcss.pkg for Mac OS
Step 2. Double-click the downloaded libdvdcss installer package file to install libdvdcss on Mac.
Step 3. There is one more step for installing libdvdcss on Mac El Capitan and later macOS as its SIP (System Integrity Protection) will remove libdvdcss by default. To download libdvdcss on Mac later than El Capitan successfully, here are two workarounds:
Option 1. disable SIP. To disable SIP for libdvdcss Handbrake download on Mac, you need to: restart your Mac and simultaneously press down the Command - R keys until you see the Apple logo. Select Utilities > Terminal. Run the command "csrutil disable" in the Terminal and press Return. Exit Terminal and click the Apple menu > Restart to reboot your Mac. Then you should be able to install libdvdcss for Handbrake on Mac without problems.
Option 2. a more complicated but recommended way from a Reddit user (as below).
1. Open a Finder window -> type "cmd+shift+G" or click "Go" and choose "Go to Folder" -> copy and paste /Library/SystemMigration/History/ -> press button "GO" -> open the folder "Migration-[random letters and numbers]" and find "QuarantineRoot" -> libdvdcss file should be in this folder.
2. Again click "Go" on the taskbar -> "Go to Folder" -> type "/usr/local/lib".
3. Cut and paste the libdvdcss file (libdvdcss.2.dylib) to the folder "/usr/local/lib" -> put in your admin password to finish the move and then libdvdcss is installed on Mac for Handbrake.
Method 2. Install Libdvdcss for Handbrake on Mac via Homebrew
Manually installing libdvdcss for Handbrake on Mac is much complicated than that on Windows, but you can download and install libdvdcss.pkg for Handbrake on Mac Sonoma, Ventura, Monterey, Big Sur, and earlier using Homebrew. It's pretty simple and fast:
Step 1. First, you will need to install Homebrew on Mac. Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, type Terminal in the search field, then click and open the Terminal app. In the Terminal app, type the following command and hit Enter to start the Homebrew installation process:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
Step 2. After Homebrew is installed, type brew install libdvdcss in Homebrew and hit Enter. Homebrew will automatically install libdvdcss.2.dylib on Mac for Handbrake.
Note: You can also use Homebrew to install libdvdcss on M1/M2 Apple Silicon machines. But you need to note that Homebrew on M1/M2 and some newer Macs will store files in the /opt/homebrew/ folder instead of the /usr/local/ folder. However, if the libdvdcss.2.dylib is installed in the /opt/homebrew/ folder, Handbrake is unable to find and use it. So you will need to manually copy the file into the /usr/local/ folder.
Part 4. How to Rip Protected DVDs with Handbrake libdvdcss on Windows 11/10/Mac?
After you download and install libdvdcss on your Windows 10/11 or Mac, you should be able to rip a protected DVD using Handbrake. Here are the steps:
Step 1. Open Handbrake on your computer and insert the source DVD into your computer's optical drive.
Step 2. Click on "Open Source" in Handbrake and select the DVD drive as the source. Handbrake use libdvdcss-2.dll or libdvdcss.pkg on your Windows/Mac to scan the DVD titles and find the correct one. Handbrake and libdvdcss will rip DVDs with region codes and css without error. If it says no valid title found error, then you need to check if the libdvdcss is installed correctly. Or the DVD may be protected by advanced measures.
Step 3. Open the Title drop-down list and select the appropriate title. Generally, the main movie title is the one you want to rip.
Step 4. Select an encoding preset and an output format according to your preferences. You can adjust various settings such as video quality, audio tracks, subtitles, and more.
Step 5. Choose an output folder on your Windows/Mac computer to save the ripped file by clicking on "Browse" under "Destination." Then click on "Start", Handbrake and libdvdcss will start the ripping process.
Part 5. How to Rip Protected DVDs for Free Without Installing Libdvdcss?
Libdvdcss is mainly used in free DVD rippers like HandBrake to rip DVDs encrypted with CSS. But libdvdcss can't help crack all CSS keys, let alone other advanced DVD copy protections, such as Region Code, AACS 2.0, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, and Disney X-project DRM. If you are trying to rip Disney DVDs using HandBrake and libdvdcss-2.dll or libdvdcss.pkg, there might be a "HandBrake won't rip" problem.
If downloading and installing HandBrake libdvdcss.pkg on Mac or libdvdcss-2.dll for Windows 11/10 is too complicated, try a more powerful and easier HandBrake alternative like WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. It constantly updates with all kinds of latest DVD copy protections.
- Remove CSS, AACS, UOP, Sony ARccOS, RCE, region, Disney DRM without downloading libdvdcss-2.dll or libdvdcss.pkg on Mac/PC.
- Rip protected DVDs to MP4, MPEG, MOV, WMV, iPhone, Apple TV, Android, PSP, Xbox, etc. (handbrake can't do) and 350+ profiles.
- 1:1 backup DVD to ISO image and copy DVD with full/main title without quality loss.
- Rip DVDs 5x faster than Handbrake with support for Nvidia/AMD/Intel GPU acceleration, MMX- SSE, 3DNow! and Hyperthreading.
Follow the 3 simple steps below to rip protected DVDs without installing Handbrake libdvdcss on Windows 11/10/Mac.
Step 1. Download the free Handbrake and libdvdcss alternative DVD ripper, open it and insert your source DVD into the computer's optical drive. Then click the "DVD Disc" button to load the inserted DVD movie. The internal decryption model in the Handbrake alternative will start to analyze and remove the copy protection on the disc.
Step 2. After a few seconds, the Handbrake and libdvdcss freeware can auto-detect and select the right main DVD movie title for you. Then an output format will popu up automatically. Select the output video format or device. You can choose to rip DVD to MP4, WMV, MPEG, H.264, iPhone, Samsung, etc.
Step 3. Hit the "RUN" button to begin ripping DVDs. This free Handbrake and libdvdcss alternative will unblock the encryption and rip the protected DVD into the output folder in the format you just set. It will rip a DVD at a 5x faster speed than Handbrake.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping/copying copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Rip Protected DVDs without Complicated Libdvdcss Downloading Process
If you can't or don't want to install libdvdcss for Handbrake, try the easy and fast DVD ripper WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. Rip copy-protected DVDs, especially strictly encrypted 99-title Disney DVDs, to MP4, AVI, WMV, MPEG, H.264, MOV, FLV, iPhone, iPad Pro, Android, etc., with original quality at the fastest speed.
Part 6. Libdvdcss FAQs
1. Where can I get libdvdcss?
As libdvdcss is part of the VideoLAN project, you can download libdvdcss on Windows 11/10/7 and Mac from VideoLAN official site: https://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html. It's also available on the site GitHub at https://github.com/allienx/libdvdcss-dll. Clilck and download the correct version for Handbrake on your Windows/Mac systems.
2. Is libdvdcss legal?
The legality of libdvdcss depends on the jurisdiction in which it is being used. In some countries, including the United States, libdvdcss may be considered illegal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), as it can be used to circumvent digital rights management (DRM) protections on DVDs. In other countries, such as Canada and some European countries, it may be legal to use libdvdcss with Handbrake for personal use, but illegal to distribute or use it for commercial purposes.
It is important to check the laws in your specific jurisdiction before installing libdvdcss for Handbrake or using any other software that may be used to circumvent DRM protections.
3. How to download and instsall libdvdcss on Linux Ubuntu/Debian?
In addition to Windows and macOS, Handbrake also works on Linux systems and libdvdcss is also required for Handbrake to rip protected DVDs. To install libdvdcss (libdvd-pkg) for Handbrake on Linux, here are the steps:
Step 1. Open a terminal app and update your repos using the apt-get command or apt command:
sudo apt-get update or sudo apt-get upgrade
Step 2. Then type the following command line to install the libdvdcss package for Handbrake:
sudo apt install libdvd-pkg
Step 3. Next, you need to type the following dpkg-reconfigure command to download, compile, and install libdvdcss on Linux Ubuntu/Debian:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg
4. What to do if Handbrake and libdvdcss is not working on Windows/Mac?
There are many users reporting that Handbrake still won't rip a DVD after they have installed libdvdcss-2.dll on Windows or libdvdcss.2.dylib on Mac. Why is libdvdcss for Handbrake not working on your Windows/Mac computers? The problem is often caused by reasons below:
- Wrong libdvdcss version: If you are using an old version of Handbrake or libdvdcss, it may not be compatible with the latest operating systems or DVD protections. Many users are reporting that the latest Handbrake 1.6.1 is not working with libdvdcss. In this case, you can go back to Handbrake 1.6.0 or 1.5.
- Wrong libdvdcss path: It's tricky to place libdvdcss.pkg to Handbrake's folder on Mac. Especially when you install libdvdcss for Handbrake on an M1/M2 Mac using Homebrew, it will place the libdvdcss in the /opt/homebrew/ folder instead of the /usr/local/ folder. If the libdvdcss library if not placed correctly, Handbrake cannot use it.
- Advanced copy protection: libdvdcss can only help Handbrake rip DVDs with CSS DRM. It can't handle advanced copy protections such as 99 fake titles. Then you need a more powerful protected DVD ripper.
5. Does VLC include libdvdcss?
Yes. Libdvdcss is part of the VideoLAN project and is used by VLC media player and other DVD player software packages
6. How do I know if libdvdcss is installed successfully?
To check if libdvdcss is installed successfully on Windows 11/10/7 or Mac, you can follow these steps:
Step 1. Open HandBrake and insert a protected DVD into your computer's DVD drive.
Step 2. Attempt to load the DVD using Handbrake. If libdvdcss is installed correctly, Handbrake should be able to read the DVD and load it without any issues.
Step 3. If you receive an error message like "No valid source or titles found", it means that there is no libdvdcss installed or installed properly on your computer.
7. Can Handbrake use libdvdcss in VLC?
Yes, Handbrake can dynamically load VLC's copy of libdvdcss to rip a protected DVD, as long as you copy if you copy and move the libdvdcss file into the Applications folder of Handbrake on your Windows or Mac computer.
8. How to play protected DVDs free without Libdvdcss?
Most DVD players rely on installing libdvdcss to play copy-protected DVD. However, even without installing libdvdcss, you can still successfully play protected DVDs with a free DVD player - 5KPlayer. This free tool can play any copy-protected DVD flawlessly.
Additionally, 5KPlayer can also: play all 8K/5K/4K/HD 1080p/720p/SD videos in MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, etc.; free download videos/movies/MP3 songs from YouTube and 1000+ video sites; stream videos/audios to iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc. for free. It is the best all-in-one free media player for Windows (11/10) and Mac.
Step 1. Insert the DVD disc to DVD-ROM. 5KPlayer alone supports smoothly playing any protected DVD without installing libdvdcss.
Step 2. Click the "DVD" button on the main interface and the DVD movie will start playing automatically.
9. What is the usage of libdvdcss?
Libdvdcss is a free library used for accessing DVDs encrypted with CSS. It alone is a library and can't play or rip a DVD, but it allows programs that support DVD playback to bypass the encryption and read the contents of a DVD disc. The usage of libdvdcss is important because many commercial DVDs are encrypted with CSS encryption, which makes it difficult for users to access and play the DVD contents on their computers.
So libdvdcss is often used together with other DVD player and ripping applications that allow users to copy the contents of a DVD disc for personal use. For example, Handbrake uses libdvdcss to decode encrypted DVDs, or it can only rip DVDs without protections.
1. libdvdcss VideoLAN: libdvdcss is a simple library designed for accessing DVDs like a block device without having to bother about the decryption.
2. libdvdcss [wiki]: libdvdcss (or libdvdcss2 in some repositories) is a free and open-source software library for accessing and unscrambling DVDs encrypted with the Content Scramble System (CSS). libdvdcss is part of the VideoLAN project and is used by VLC media player and other DVD player software packages, such as Ogle, xine-based players, and MPlayer.
2. libdvdcss 1.4.3 VideoHelp: This repository hosts the compiled libdvdcss-2.dll for Windows. Download the .dll from this repository and drop it into the Handbrake or VidCoder installation folder to convert your DVDs to mp4/mkv files. The latest version of libdvdcss is 1.4.3.