How to Convert DVD to Digital File with High Quality
TV binge-watchers and movie fans have changed the way they enjoy videos from in-home DVD player & TV combo to on-the-go mobiles. Discs becomes a hot potato with the emerge of streaming service and the removal of DVD drive from computers and game consoles. Then how to handle your overstocked DVD discs? Converting DVD to digital format should be a good choice.
After converting DVD to digital, users can have access to their favorite movies on different devices, such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and smart TVs, watch their favorite movies without having to swap out physical discs or carry them around with them, and save physical space and have a more secure backup of their movie collection.
Well, how to convert your DVD collection to digital files?
Here we'll introduce the best DVD to digital converter software that can convert your home movie DVDs and store-bought copy-protected DVDs to high-quality digital copies for using on NAS, Plex, TV, hard drive, mobiles, and other devices, and introduce popular DVD to digital services if you don't want to digitize DVDs on your own. We'll discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each method to help you determine which DVD to digital method is best for you.
Table of Contents
- Method 1. Convert DVD to Digital with WinX DVD Ripper - Your Best Choice
- Method 2. Convert DVD to Digital with VUDU
- Method 3. Convert DVD to Digital with DVDWalmart
- Method 4. Convert DVD to Digital with HandBrake
- Method 5. Convert DVD to Digital with VLC
- Method 6. Convert DVD to Digital with MakeMKV
- Compare the DVD to Digital Converter Software/Service
- Frequently Asked Questions about Digitizing DVDs
Method 1. Convert DVD to Digital with WinX DVD Ripper
Best for users who are looking for a tool to convert copy-protected DVDs to digital on Windows and Mac.
WinX DVD Ripper is a full-fledged DVD to digital converter released by Digiarty Software in 2009. It can convert home movie DVDs and commercial movie DVDs to digital files in a variety of formats, including MP4, MOV, and others. It is widely recommended by editors and users for its powerful DVD decrypting ability, fast DVD ripping speed, high-quality output, and a wide range of output profiles.
The developers of WinX DVD Ripper keep a close eye on new DVD releases and new DVD copy protections and update the program in time. Thanks to regular update, it can bypass all region codes (1-6), CSS, AACS (2.0), RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, and other forms of copy protection out of the box.
WinX DVD Ripper supports a wide range of output formats, including popular options such as MP4, AVI, and WMV, as well as device-specific formats such as iPhone, iPad, and Android. It also offers customizable output settings for video and audio quality, resolution, bitrate, and more.
What's more, it also allows users to 1:1 clone DVD to ISO image and Video_TS folder to make an exact digital copy of DVD. It keeps menu, subtitles, audio tracks, and all DVD data.
Thanks to the multi-core CPU, Hyper-Threading tech and advanced Level-3 Hardware Acceleration tech based on Intel QSV, NVIDIA (CUDA) NVENC and AMD, it can result in about 5X faster conversion speed compared to other DVD to digital conversion software. On an advanced computer, it needs 5 minutes only to convert a DVD to an MP4 digital file.
In addition to its conversion features, WinX DVD Ripper also comes with a built-in video editor that allows users to crop, trim, merge, and add subtitles to their videos.
Now, you can free download WinX DVD Ripper to transfer full or part content of a physical DVD disc to a digital file format!
If you are viewing this page on a mobile device, click here to get download link and 15-day free trial license to experience full features.
- It supports digitizing both home movie DVDs and commercial copy-protected movie DVDs including Disney DVDs.
- It provides over 350 output profiles to choose.
- It helps users to convert DVD to digital at home.
- It is easy to use, even for beginners. No technology skill needed.
- It is more cost-effective than other methods. Check the price >>
- It works fast. A DVD can be converted to digital within minutes.
- It allows you to convert as many DVDs as you like.
- It allows editing video before ripping.
- It is available in all regions.
- Need to download and install this software on your computer.
- A computer with a built-in DVD drive, or an external drive.
How to convert DVD to digital with WinX DVD Ripper?
Step 1. Download and install WinX DVD Ripper.
- Download the WinX DVD Ripper installer for your computer.
- Run the installer and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
Step 2. Load the DVD disc.
- Insert the DVD disc into your computer's DVD drive.
- Open WinX DVD Ripper and click the "DVD Disc" button to import the DVD.
- WinX DVD Ripper will scan the DVD disc and automatically detect the main movie title. Of course, you can select title manually.
Step 3. Choose an output format.
- In the "Output Profile" window, select the output format for your digital copy.
- You can choose from a variety of popular formats, including MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, ISO, VIDEO_TS folder, MP3, and more.
Step 4. Start the conversion.
- Click "Browse" to set a folder to store the digital copy extracted from your DVD.
- Click the "RUN" button to start the conversion.
- The conversion process may take a few minutes, depending on the length of the DVD, the output format you choose, the settings you use (enable hardware accelerator or not), and your computer configuration.
Step 5. Find your digital copy.
- Once the conversion is complete, your digital copy will be saved in the location you specified.
- You can then play your digital copy on any device that supports the selected format.
- You can adjust the video and audio parameters before converting your DVD.
- You can also add subtitles, adjust the volume, crop and expand the video, and trim the video.
- If you meet problems in the DVD conversion, choose "Safe Mode" to rip any DVD smoothly.
Watch Video Tutorial: How to Turn DVD into Digital File with High Quality
Method 2. Convert DVD to Digital with VUDU
Best for users who have a small collection of DVDs and want to convert DVDs to digital files without DVD drive.
VUDU's disc to digital service was initially launched in 2017. With this service, you can get digital copies of your Blu-rays and DVDs simply by scanning the barcodes on your discs and watch them on any VUDU-enabled device. Vudu To Go, the in-home service of Disc to Digital, isn't supported after December 31, 2019. But you can still use In Mobile Disc to Digital which can help scan discs on your phone and tablet. Please be noted that not all discs are eligible for Disc to Digital conversion. You can search for title availability at https://www.vudu.com/content/in_mobile_disc_to_digital.html.
- You can process DVD to digital right from your mobile.
- There is no need to use DVD drive.
- It costs much if you have a large DVD collection. $2-$5 is required for each disc to video copy.
- It sets limit on maximum conversions per year. You are only allowed to convert 100 DVDs per year.
- Region limitations. It is only available in US and Mexico.
- Not all DVDs are supported to convert. First, only DVDs from partnering studios are compatible with D2D. E.g., you can't convert Disney DVDs to digital files with Vudu. Second, D2D services don't "convert" discs, it provides a digital copy instead if it's in their library. That means you can't convert any homemade DVDs.
- You will need the case and UPC code to convert with Disc to Digital.
- No control on the output quality. Sometimes there is SD version available only and you can't do anything to improve the quality.
- No physical ownership. Some services allow you to download the converted DVD video for viewing offline, but you don't really own it. When you cancel the membership, you lose the movies.
- Data Throttling. Online DVD to digital converter services provide digital files via the internet connection, which can be capped soon.
- Intricate errors. The process can be fraught with issues that are difficult to deal with, for example, can't find any titles in the cart, location doesn't match billing address, can't read barcode, operation timeout, etc.
Check the full limits of Vudu disc to digital service >>
In a word, disc to digital services are a good choice for those who would like to digitize relatively small and new DVD collection. You may want a DVD to digital program like WinX DVD Ripper to create high-quality disc to digital copy without extra fee each time, full control on the output video, and freedom to use the digital copies anywhere.
How to convert DVD to digital on Android/iPhone with VUDU disc to digital service?
Step 1. Visit vudu.com/disc on your Android or iPhone, scroll down and tap the Convert Disc button.
Step 2. Sign up if you don't have an account. And then, sign in.
Step 3. Allow app permissions.
Step 4. Scan the UPC barcode on your DVD case.
Step 5. Select output quality, SD or HDX.
Step 6. Pay for the DVD to digital conversion (DVD to SD: $2 per disc; DVD to HDX: $5 per disc), and then watch instantly.
Watch Video Tutorial: How to Convert DVD to Digital with VUDU Disc to Digital
Method 3. Convert DVD to Digital with DVDWalmart - DVD to Digital Service near You
Best for users who want to convert a small collection of DVDs with a DVD to digital service.
DVDWalmart's Digital Media Transfer service accepts all previously transferred DVDs from Walmart and YesVideo, and other DVDs, MiniDVDs, CDs, and VCDs. It will store the digital copy in MemoryCloud and transfer it to a single USB if you ask it to. The price for creating a digital copy with MemoryCloud online access is $12.96 for the first 30 minutes and $5.46 for each additional 30 minutes. If it is a 2-hour movie DVD, you need to pay $29.34 for this service.
- You don't need to do the conversion by yourself.
- It is troublesome.
- It is expensive.
- Users will wait long time to get digital copy.
How to use DVDWalmart to transfer DVD to digital copy?
Step 1. Create your order online or at Walmart.
Step 2. Bring your DVD and order confirmation printout (if you created your order online) to Walmart Photo near you or mail your order.
Step 3. Pick up the digital copy at Walmart if you dropped off your DVD at Walmart and wait for it to be delivered to you if you sent your media directly to Walmart. You may need to wait 3-4 weeks to get the digital copy.
Tips: If you have a lot of DVDs that need to be converted to digital format, it will cost a shedload of money. If you're on a budget, DVD to digital conversion software will be a better choice. Take WinX DVD Ripper as an example, you only need to pay $34.95 to get a one-year license, which can be used on 3 computers. After activating WinX DVD Ripper with this license, you can convert as many DVDs as you like and choose a desired output format. And it only takes a few minutes to get a digital copy of your DVD.
If you're interested in WinX DVD Ripper, click the download button below to have a try!
Method 4. Convert DVD to Digital for Free with HandBrake
Best for advanced users who need a free DVD to digital converter.
If you want to convert your DVDs to digital files without paying money, you can check HandBrake. This is a free open source video transcoder for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It offers a range of customization options for video and audio output, making it ideal for users who want to have greater control over the video and audio output. Handbrake is also suitable for users who are comfortable with technology and are willing to invest the time to learn how to use the software effectively.
It can convert your non-protected DVDs to digital files in MP4, MKV, and WebM. Without libdvdcss, it cannot handle copy-protected DVDs.
- It is totally free.
- It provides dozens of output presets.
- It can't bypass copy protections.
- Some settings are confusing for beginners.
How to convert DVD to digital with free HandBrake?
Step 1. Download, install, and open HandBrake on your computer.
Step 2. Insert the DVD you want to convert into your computer's DVD drive.
Step 3. Choose the DVD you want to digitize under "Source Selection". Then, it will scan you DVD titles.
Step 4. Choose the specific title you want to convert from the drop-down menu of "Title".
Step 5. Select a preset for your desired output format from "Presets".
Step 6. Adjust video audio settings as needed, such as resolution, codec, and bitrate.
Step 7. Specify save path for the digital copy by clicking on the "Browse" button at the bottom right.
Step 8. Click the "Start Encode" button at the top of the HandBrake window to begin the conversion process.
Step 9. Wait for the conversion process to complete. Once the conversion is finished, you can locate your newly created digital file in the destination folder you specified.
Watch Video Tutorial: How to Convert DVD to Digital for Free with HandBrake
Method 5. Convert DVD to Digital for Free with VLC Media Player
Best for tech-savvy users who require a free and open-source solution for converting their DVDs to digital.
In spite of its name, VLC is not just a media player. It has a remarkably long list of features including media playback, online streaming, and DVD digitization. It can convert your DVDs to a dozen of formats. And it can even deal with some encrypted discs. The disadvantage is that it takes as long as the movie length to finish ripping DVD. If you don't mind this, just follow the steps below to use VLC to turn your DVDs into digital videos.
- It is free of charge.
- It can do more than DVD to digital.
- It requires quite a long time to digitize DVD.
How to digitize DVD with VLC?
Step 1. Download and install VLC if you don't have this tool on your computer.
Step 2. Insert the DVD you want to digitize into your computer's DVD drive.
Step 3. Open VLC, click Media and then select Convert/Save.
Step 4. Click Disc tab and choose disc device, title, chapter, audio, and subtitle track. Then hit Convert/Save.
Step 5. Choose profile, the output format you want to use.
Step 6. Click Browse to specify destination file.
Step 7. Hit Start to begin converting DVD to digital.
Watch Video Tutorial: How to Convert DVD to Digital for Free with VLC
Method 6. Convert DVD to Digital for Free with MakeMKV
Best for beginners who want a fast and easy way to convert their DVDs to digital without requiring many customization options.
MakeMKV has a simple and user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate, making it a suitable option for beginners. It can convert protected Blu-ray and DVD discs to digital files in MKV for free during BETA. But as its name indicates, MakeMKV can only export MKV files, which may not be suitable for users who require other formats. And, there is no compression, which means you'll get a high-quality but large-size digital copy.
- It can decrypt DVDs and Blurays.
- It is free to use.
- It keeps the original quality.
- It can only output uncompressed MKV files.
How to transfer DVD to digital with MakeMKV?
Step 1. Download and install MakeMKV on your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.
Step 2. Open MakeMKV and insert the DVD you want to convert to digital.
Step 3. When MakeMKV detects your DVD, click the Open DVD disk button to let MakeMKV access your DVD.
Step 4. When you see a tree structure with your titles, video tracks, audios, and subtitles, just choose which titles or tracks you want to convert.
Step 5. Click Set output folder button to specify where you want to save the digital copy.
Step 6. Click the Make MKV button to begin converting DVD to MKV digital file.
Watch Video Tutorial: How to Convert DVD to Digital for Free with MakeMKV
Compare the DVD to Digital Converter Software/Service
Supported DVD Types
Supported Output Formats
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum [Best Choice]
Premium License One-Year Subscription / 3 PCs: $34.95
Homemade DVDs, commercial copy-protected DVDs, region-locked DVDs, newly released movie DVDs, old DVDs, unplayable DVDs, etc.
350+ output presets, including ISO, VIDEO_TS folder, MP4, MKV (only available in Mac version), MOV, MPEG, FLV, AVI, WMV, MP3, etc.
Fast. It can rip a 2-hour movie DVD within 5 minutes.
The most cost-effective option. Support homemade and commercial DVDs. Work fast. Give users full control over the output.
DVD to SD: $2+ tax / 1 disc
Commercial movie DVDs. Some titles are not supported.
No need for a computer and optical drive, but the service is only available in the US and Mexico and has many limitations.
$12.96 for the first 30 minutes and $5.46 for each additional 30 minutes.
Previously transferred DVDs from Walmart and YesVideo, and other DVDs, MiniDVDs, CDs, and VCDs.
You don't need to do it yourself, but you need to pay high price and wait very long time.
MP4, MKV, WebM
It could be tens of minutes to a few hours.
Free but can't handle copy-protected DVDs.
VLC media player
Unencrypted DVDs and some encrypted DVDs.
MP4, MKV, AVI, FLV, WebM, WMV, MP3, TS, etc.
It will take the entire runtime of the movie to digitize it.
Free but works extremely slow. And, it always fails to manage commercial discs.
Unencrypted DVDs and some encrypted DVDs.
Usually about 20 to 30 minutes.
Free but can only export MKV file.
1. How to convert DVD to digital on Mac?
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum has a Mac version which can help you digitize DVDs on Mac. The procedure is like digitizing a DVD on Windows, so just download this tool and follow the steps in method 1.
If you want to try something different, you can try Disk Utility – Mac's built-in app that can digitize DVDs without copyright. However, it can only export image file. Don't expect it to make a MP4 copy or other mainstreaming format from your DVD. If it's ok for you, just follow this:
Step 1. Go to Applications > Utilities, find and open Disk Utility.
Step 2. Locate your DVD and click on it.
Step 3. Choose New Image which is in the centre along the top.
Step 4. The next option to look out for is Image Format, which you should set to DVD/CD Master.
Step 5. Set Encryption to None.
Step 6. Hit save and the DVD will begin copying to the destination you specified. When the process is complete, just eject your DVD.
2. How to convert Disney DVD to digital?
Digitizing Disney DVDs is really a matter of headache, as they are always strictly protected. There may be 99 titles to confuse you and DVD converters. Happily, WinX DVD Ripper can read and convert them without errors. Just give it a try.
3. How to digitize home video DVD?
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum can not only digitize commercial movie DVDs but also handle home video DVD collection. Just insert your home video DVD to DVD drive, select it in the DVD ripping tool, choose wanted titles and format, and hit RUN to get the digital copy out of your physical media.
4. How to digitize DVD TV shows?
WinX DVD Ripper supports movie DVDs, TV shows DVDs, and other regular DVDs no matter what content they contain. To convert TV series DVDs to digitals, follow this:
Step 1. Insert the source TV show DVD into DVD drive.
Step 2. Click DVD disc to load the TV show DVD.
Step 3. Select titles/episodes you want to convert to digital file.
Step 4. Choose a desired output format.
Step 5. Hit RUN to begin digitizing.
5. How to digitize DVD collection for free?
There are some free DVD to digital converters, such as HandBrake and VLC. However, free tools always mean limited features. Take HandBrake for example. It can't handle copy-protected DVDs on its own but the fact is that commercial discs are always encrypted. So, you may have to use a more powerful ripper. Good news is that there're chances to get paid DVD rippers for free. You can search it by using keyword like "winx dvd ripper platinum giveaway".
6. Does Amazon have disc to digital?
If you purchase a Disc+ On Demand Blu-ray or DVD, Amazon will automatically add the Amazon Instant Video standard definition digital version to Your Video Library (www.amazon.com/videoondemand/library). You can stream the digital version online or download it for offline watching.
7. Does Best Buy convert DVD to digital?
In 2012, Best Buy introduced a program called CinemaNow to convert DVDs to digitals.
To process to convert DVD to digital with CinemaNow is:
Step 1. Set up at CinemaNow.com account.
Step 2. Download the free CinemaNow Player software on your PC or MAC.
Step 3. Insert your DVD and then CinemaNow will instantly recognize the movie's title and give you an option to convert the DVD to a digital version that is standard definition (SD) for $2 or high definition (HD) for $5. The digital movie will be added to your UltraViolet digital library.
However, CinemaNow has been shut down in 2017.
8. Can I convert copy-protected DVDs to digital?
It depends on the DVD to digital converter software you are using. Some programs, such as WinX DVD Ripper, can bypass copy protection and digitize protected DVDs, while others may not be able to. It is important to check the software's capabilities before attempting to turn a copy-protected DVD into a digital file.
9. What digital file formats can I convert my DVD to?
Most DVD to digital converter software can convert DVDs to common file formats such as MP4, AVI, and MOV. Some software may also support less common file formats or allow you to customize the output format.
10. Can I convert my DVD to digital without losing quality?
Yes. For example, if you choose to clone DVD to ISO or VIDEO_TS folder on WinX DVD Ripper, you won’t lose quality. As for other output options, this program offers High Quality Engine to minimize this loss of quality and produce high-quality digital copies of your DVDs.
11. Will my converted digital files have menus like the original DVD?
It depends on the DVD to digital conversion software and the settings you use. Some programs will not allow you to preserve the menus of the original DVD, such as HandBrake. However, some software may offer options to preserve menus for the digital file.
Converting ANY DVD to Digital is Easy with WinX DVD Ripper Platinum!
- Free movies from physical discs to digital video formats for easier playback on mobiles, Plex, NAS, Xbox, computer, hard drive, etc.
- Turn all Disney DVDs, new & old discs, protected/region-code DVD, and family discs to digital.
- Get the DVD ripper and convert as many DVDs as you need without limits. No $2-$5 fee each conversion. No internet required.
Free download WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to have a try! Initially released in 2009. Already downloaded by over 70 million users.
If you are viewing this page on a mobile device, click here to get download link and 15-day trial license to experience full features.
Please DO NOT use WinX DVD Ripper to rip rental DVDs.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Still have trouble about converting DVD disc to digital on Windows (10)/Mac? Just Email Us