4 Easy Steps to Copy DVD to Hard Drive Quickly for Backup & Achiving
How to free backup DVD to hard drive, HDD or external hard drive with best free DVD ripping software 2020?
Ripping DVDs to hard drive means two things:
• Backup DVDs and save them to computer's internal hard drive for direct use (playback, edit, share, etc.);
• Rip DVDs to an external hard drive for storage or easier playback on other devices.
Download Tool to Rip DVD to Hard Drive with Original Quality
WinX DVD Ripper - Backup entire DVD collection to hard drive for free within clicks. You can make 1:1 DVD copy to ISO/DVD folder/MPEG2 and convert DVD to MP4 or other formats that are acceptable by your computer or external hard drive, regardless of CSS, region code, or any other protections. Keep 100% original videos/audios/subtitles within 5 minutes only.
Free Download WinX DVD Ripper to Rip DVDs to Hard Drive Easily and Quickly!
Please DO NOT use WinX DVD Ripper to rip rental DVDs.
Why Can't You Copy DVD VIDEO_TS to Hard Drive Directly
For burned and homemade DVDs that come without any copy protections, you can directly copy and paste the Video_TS folder from DVD to hard drive for backup and share. The folder can be playback on Windows Media player, VLC media player, etc. without problem. But for commercial DVDs, you can't simply copy and paste the DVD Video_TS to hard drive.
Generally, instead of "copy", we say rip DVDs to hard drive. Why? Almost all DVD movies are encrypted with CSS copy protection. Encryptions are stored in the normally inaccessible lead-in area of the disc, as a move to prevent the files from being copied directly. You'll get an error for trying to copy the encrypted DVD contents. If you try to play the copied VOB files, the decoder will request the keys from the DVD-ROM drive and you will fail to copy with an error message "Cannot play copy-protected files". That's why you need a DVD ripper to get rid of the copy protection schemes before you transfer the DVD movie to hard drive. WinX DVD Ripper is such a powerful tool you are looking for.
• For FAST DVD to Hard Drive Ripping: we suggest choosing MP4/H.264 format as the output format in WinX DVD Ripper which supports Intel QSV and NVIDIA (CUDA) NVENC based hardware acceleration. Besides, each of its 4 unique DVD Copy modes will also deliver speedy and high quality DVD backup.
• For 1:1 DVD Copy on Hard Drive: we recommend DVD Backup option in WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. Either Main Tilte Copy, Full Title Copy, DVD to ISO, or clone DVD to Folder is a good choice to copy a DVD without quality loss. Typically, its Full DVD copy enables you to have original sound formats, 5.1 or 7.1 audio channel, all the language/subtitle/song play options and intact menu.
Best Software to Copy DVD to Hard Drive in a Trouble Free Way
"I am going on a long trip soon, and would like to be able to watch my movies on my laptop while I am gone. How do I go about putting my DVD's on my hard drive so that I can watch them with Windows Media Player?"
"I have a large collection of commercial DVDs which I wish to copy to a portable hard drive so that I can then dispose of the DVDs. I would like to be able to watch them on my TV with the portable hard drive plugged into my DVD player."
Now that we cannot directly copy DVDs to hard drive, using DVD rip software is the best way to put DVDs to computer. Then we need to think about the question raised at the beginning of this article - how to rip DVDs to hard drive with DVD ripping software? Here we'd like to take WinX Free DVD Ripper for example to introduce the steps.
WinX DVD Ripper is free DVD ripping software that facilitates ripping the content of a DVD to computer hard drive and converting to other popular video formats, such as rip DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, MPEG, etc. for external hard drive, Thumb drive, NAS, USB, MicroSD card, and the like.
It offers powerful yet easy-to-use functions, excellent video/audio quality, and fast ripping speed. This free DVD ripping software also has the ability to decrypt DVDs, remove copy preventions, and make disks unrestricted and region-free.
Free Download WinX DVD Ripper to Have A Try!
User Review: I've tried your software on nearly 200 DVDs, old and new, self-made and protected ones,
there's no problem at all! - by Jack (Google IT Specialist)
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Rip DVD to Hard Drive for Free with Clicks?
Preparations: Free download WinX DVD Ripper, install it on computer and insert the DVD to be ripped into your PC's DVD drive.
WinX DVD Ripper is totally free to download and use. If you get the free DVD ripper, you will enjoy it with no watermark, no time limits, no functions reserved. Because of the tiny size, it is very fast to launch. And since many DVDs contain 6-8 GB of files, you must ensure that the hard drive has sufficient free space to store DVD before transfer.
Step 1. Run the program.
Run this tool, then click DVD Disc button to load the DVD movie.
Step 2. Choose Output Format Accepted by Your Hard Drive.
The DVD will be loaded with its information, such as title, subtitle, duration, output etc. shown in the file list. You can copy DVD to hard drive in different formats:
• For computer's hard drive: (On platinum version) you can scroll down, find "PC General Profiles" and choose video format like MP4, AVI, AVC, Chromecast, WMV, MPEG, FLV, MOV, etc. Generally, Windows-based PCs makes good compatibility with MP4, AVI, WMV. Well if you are running on Mac OS, you can go to "Mac General Video" and choose MP4 or MOV for further use on your Mac's hard drivee.
• For external hard drive: Similar to USB, you can have much more choices, ranging from "to MP4", "to MPEG", "to WMV", "to FLV", "to MOV", "to Music" etc., depending on the use of the files, or say the output devices or players that will be connected to.
• For 1:1 DVD copy on hard drive: (On platinum version) you can scroll down, find "DVD Backup" and choose to 1:1 copy DVD to ISO image, DVD folder, and MPEG-2 file (Main or full title copy). This will not degrade any video/audio quality at all. And you can save your movie library on your computer hard drive for further use.
Note: Some external hard drives are formatted in FAT32, which has the restrictive 4GB file size limit, while WinX DVD Ripper Platinum's DVD backup mode neither degrades video quality nor reduces file size (movie size stays almost the same as original 4.7GB or 8.5GB). So it's suggested to rip DVD to MP4 H.264 as a backup on hard drive, for it strikes a perfect balance between file size (less than 1GB) and output quality.
Step 3. Select Destination Folder.
Click "Browse" button in output setting area, select a destination folder in the dialog box that opens on hard drive, and then click OK.
Step 4. Click "RUN" Button.
From above, you may find that it is a piece of cake to rip DVDs to hard drive with this free DVD ripping software.
Afterwards, you can transfer and watch the DVD video on whatever mobile devices, including Android, iOS and Windows based gadgets. But since most iOS users hate syncing video or other files using clunky iTunes, especially on Windows, WinX MediaTrans can provide a smarter way for file managing and transferring files on iOS.
Video Tutorial: Backup DVD Movies to Hard Drive with Original Quality
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Related External Source from Wiki:
DVD - A digital optical disc storage format which can store any kind of digital data and is widely used for software and other computer files as well as video programs watched using DVD players...
Hard Disk Drive - A data storage device used for storing and retrieving digital information using one or more rigid ("hard") rapidly rotating disks (platters) coated with magnetic material...
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it legal to rip a DVD that you own to hard drive?
Whether it is legal to rip DVD that you own for personal use depends on where you live. In the US, it is illegal to rip a copy-protected DVD. But some countries may have different laws. Although you are probably not allowed to do that by law, you probably won't get sued/caught as long as you don't distribute the copies.
When ripping a DVD to hard drive, what is the best format?
It depends on how you want to use the digital copy of your DVD. If you want to make an exact copy of a DVD, you can choose to save as an ISO file. If you want to save main movie only and play without format incompatibility issue, MP4 is the best choice.