4 Easy Steps to Rip DVD to Hard Drive Quickly
Ripping DVDs to hard drive means two things:
* Copy and backup DVDs to computer for saving on the internal hard drive for direct use (playback, edit, share, etc.);
* Rip DVDs to an external hard drive for storage or easier playback on other devices.
3 Benefits to Rip DVD to External Hard Drive
1. Either (NAS) HDD or standard/wireless external hard drive has a giant storage, 16TB maximally (by Samsung's 2.5-inch solid state drive). It is a good way to save DVD movies.
2. Digitized files can be better stored/classified. They will never get scratched. And, the playback is more flexible, not limited to DVD players or DVD drives. Nowadays many computers don't have built-in DVD drives, so it is necessary to convert your DVD collections to digital copies.
3. Microsoft Windows 10 OS does not include Windows Media Center any longer. That means no native DVD playing feature is available on a PC running Windows 10 or later version unless you have a third-party DVD player app for Windows 10 or pay $14.99 for Windows DVD Player.
In a bottle of hay, there are the 7 best external hard drives to buy, including Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive, LaCie Rugged Raid, Western Digital My Passport, etc.
Well, how to rip DVDs to hard drive (either internally or externally) for free? How to rip DVDs to Windows 7/8/10 or Mac computer? First of all, you need to download a program that can rip DVD to hard drive. WinX DVD Ripper is a good tool which can help you rip video DVDs to hard drive for free on PC/Mac. It can rip DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, ISO, MPEG, MP3, iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.
Free Download WinX DVD Ripper to rip DVDs to hard drive easily and quickly!
PLease DO Not use WinX DVD Ripper to rip rental DVDs.
User Review: I've tried your software on nearly 200 DVDs, old and new, self-made and protected ones, there's no problem at all! - by Jack (Google IT Specialist)
How to Rip DVD to Hard Drive with Free WinX DVD Ripper?
Preparations: Free download WinX DVD Ripper , install it on computer and insert the DVD to be ripped into your PC's DVD drive.
WinX DVD Ripper is totally free to download and use. If you get the free DVD ripper, you will enjoy it with no watermark, no time limits, no functions reserved. Because of the tiny size, it is very fast to launch. And since many DVDs contain 6-8 GB of files, you must ensure that the hard drive has sufficient free space to store DVD before ripping.
Step 1. Load DVD disc.
After you run WinX DVD Ripper, you can click DVD Disc button to load the DVD movie.
Step 2. Choose output format.
After loading DVD, the DVD's information, such as title, subtitle, duration, output etc., will be shown in the file list. There are many output video formats for you to choose:
● For computer's hard drive: (On platinum version) you can scroll down, find "PC General Profiles" and choose video format like MP4, AVI, AVC, Chromecast, WMV, MPEG, FLV, MOV, etc.
● For external hard drive: Similar to USB, you can have much more choices, ranging from "to MP4", "to MPEG", "to WMV", "to FLV", "to MOV", "to Music" etc., depending on the use of the files, or say the output devices or players that will be connected to.
● For 1:1 DVD copy: (On platinum version) you can scroll down, find "DVD Backup" and choose to 1:1 copy DVD to ISO image, DVD folder, and MPEG-2 file (Main or full title copy). This will not degrade any video/audio quality at all. And you can save your movie library on your computer hard drive for further use.
After all, you can play any output video formats on Windows or Mac by using a free media player app.
Step 3. Select destination folder.
Click "Browse" button in output setting area, select a destination folder in the dialog box that opens on hard drive, and then click OK.
Step 4. Click "RUN" to begin the ripping.
From above, you may find that it is a piece of cake to rip and copy DVDs to hard drive with this free DVD ripping software.
After the fast DVD ripping process, you can transfer and watch the DVD video on whatever mobile devices, including Android, iOS and Windows based gadgets. But since most iOS users hate syncing video or other files using clunky iTunes, especially on Windows, WinX MediaTrans can provide a smarter way for file managing and transferring files on iOS.
Why Can't We Copy DVDs to Hard Drive Normally?
I am going on a long trip soon, and would like to be able to watch my movies on my laptop while I am gone. How do I go about putting my DVD's on my hard drive so that I can watch them with Windows Media Player?
I have a large collection of commercial DVDs which I wish to copy to a portable hard drive so that I can then dispose of the DVDs. I would like to be able to watch them on my TV with the portable hard drive plugged into my DVD player.
Generally, instead of using "copy", we say rip DVDs to hard drive. Why? Almost all DVD movies are encrypted with CSS copy protection. Decryption keys are stored in the normally inaccessible lead-in area of the disc. You'll get an error for trying to copy the encrypted DVD contents. However, if you have used a software player to play the movie, it will have authenticated the disc in the drive, allowing you to copy without error, while the encryption keys will not be copied. If you try to play the copied VOB files, the decoder will request the keys from the DVD-ROM drive and you will fail to copy with an error message "Cannot play copy-protected files". So you need a DVD to hard drive ripper that can deal with copy protection schemes, such as WinX DVD Ripper that is built in a powerful DVD decrypter.
Copy DVD to Hard Drive Trouble-free
WinX DVD Ripper is free DVD ripping software that facilitates ripping the content of a DVD to computer hard drive and converting to other popular video formats, such as rip DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, MPEG, etc. for external hard drive, NAS, Thumb drive, MicroSD card, DVD to USB and the like.
** If you need a fast DVD to hard drive ripping, we suggest choosing MP4/H.264 format as the output format in WinX DVD Ripper which supports Intel QSV and NVIDIA (CUDA) NVENC based hardware acceleration. Besides, each of its 4 unique DVD Copy modes will also deliver speedy and high quality DVD backup.
** If you need a 1:1 DVD copy on hard drive, DVD Backup modes will copy Main Tilte Copy, Full Title Copy, DVD to ISO, clone DVD to Folder without quality loss. Full DVD copy enables you to have original sound formats, 5.1 or 7.1 audio channel, all the language/subtitle/song play options and intact menu.
WinX DVD Ripper offers powerful yet easy-to-use functions, excellent video/audio quality, and fast ripping speed. This free DVD ripping software also has the ability to decrypt DVDs, remove copy preventions, and make disks unrestricted and region-free.
Free Download WinX DVD Ripper to have a try!
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Related External Source from Wiki:
DVD - A digital optical disc storage format which can store any kind of digital data and is widely used for software and other computer files as well as video programs watched using DVD players...
Hard Disk Drive - A data storage device used for storing and retrieving digital information using one or more rigid ("hard") rapidly rotating disks (platters) coated with magnetic material...