How to Rip DVDs for Plex and Add DVD to Plex
How to fast rip DVD for Plex server in 3 simple steps? WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is the best software to choose.
Plex is a nifty streaming media server capable of storing users' movies, videos, TV shows, songs, photos, and more on a central server. It allows users to access media content on all devices they love to watch anytime and anywhere. Therefore, many people want to add DVDs to Plex. But to do this, first of all we need to rip DVDs for Plex.
Q1: I have been using Plex Media Server for years. I have a large DVD collection more than 300 discs and I have been using MakeMKV to convert them to MKV files. But, I don't think MKV is the best format to rip DVD to Plex, since MKV is too large (about 5GB), and they almost make my 2TB drives full. So what is the best format for ripping DVDs for Plex? Which DVD ripper program can convert DVD to Plex at a fast speed? I tried Handbrake but it took such a long time. I want a good quality with a much smaller file size…
Q2: Want to rip my own DVDs to my Plex Media Server while remaining indoors due to COVID-19, so I can take my DVDs to storage and free up some space in my living room. Wonder what the best method/software/settings are. I have a Windows 10 PC...
Our article will cover everything you want to know about DVD to Plex, including what is the best software for ripping DVD to Plex, what is the optimum format for ripping DVDs for Plex, and how to fast copy and get DVD to Plex with best quality in a smaller file size.
Table of Contents
Part 1 What's the Best Software to Rip DVD for Plex?
MakeMKV, HandBrake, and WinX DVD Ripper, which one to choose?
If you have read MakeMKV vs HandBrake vs WinX DVD Ripper, you should know that WinX DVD Ripper is the best way to go.
MakeMKV just extracts the video and audio from DVD, that explains why it is fast and why the output file is very large.
Handbrake also outputs a large file about 6GB when ripping a feature-length DVD movie to MP4 based on the test. Worse still, it runs sluggish and often crashes in the middle of process. Plus, the commercial DVDs aren't in their domain which they can handle with.
WinX DVD Ripper covers the best format for Plex and can fast convert DVD to Plex format with best quality in a smaller file size. Now, let's check more details about WinX DVD Ripper.
- It can convert DVD to MP4 (best format for Plex), MOV, MPEG, WMV, MKV, and more mainstreaming formats.
- Plex doesn't support ISO image and VIDEO_TS folder. Never mind. WinX DVD Ripper can convert ISO and VIDEO_TS to Plex compatible format.
- It also supports 1:1 clone DVD to ISO image and VIDEO_TS folder.
- It can handle both home-made and copy-protected DVDs. No need to install 3rd-party software.
- It rips DVDs at ultrafast speed thanks to the support for Intel/NVIDIA hardware acceleration, multi-core CPU, and Hyper-threading tech.
- It allows adjusting output video/audio parameters, including change resolution, codec, bit rate, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc.
- It comes with some video editing features: trim, crop, merge, deinterlace, add external subtitle...
WinX DVD Ripper is the best DVD ripper for Plex. Let's download it to have a try!
Note: Please DO NOT use WinX DVD Ripper to rip rental DVDs. The downloads above are for Windows and Mac only. If you are a mobile user, please click here.
Part 2 What Is the Best Format for Ripping DVDs to Plex Media Server
Before getting into the guide of ripping DVDs for Plex, let's first make clear which formats Plex Media Server can accept. Plex's media compatibility and video quality limitations vary by device. The typically native supported codec of Plex is MP4 (H.264+AAC).
Videos satisfying the following standards can usually be directly played with Plex:
- Container: MP4
- Video Encoding: H.264 (level 4.0 or lower)
- Audio Encoding: AAC
- Resolution: 1920×1080 or smaller
- Video Framerate: 30fps
- Video Bit Depth: 8
Part 3 How to Rip DVD to Plex with WinX DVD Ripper in 3 Simple Steps?
Free download and install WinX DVD Ripper on your desktop, then follow the step-by-step instruction below:
- Step 1. Open WinX DVD Ripper and load the DVD you want to import to Plex.
- Step 2. Choose a Plex supported output format for the DVD rip file, such as MP4.
- Step 3. Hit RUN to start ripping DVD for Plex.
Step 1. Load the DVD you want to import to Plex.
Input the DVD disc to DVD-ROM. Launch WinX DVD Ripper and put the click on the DVD Disc button to import the DVD for ripping.
Step 2. Choose an output format that Plex supports.
You can go to General Profiles and select MP4 Video (h264+aac) at the profile library.
Click the setting icon, you can adjust video audio parameters. But if you don't know parameters very well, just keep the default settings which are the best settings for your Plex.
Optionally choose preferred audio track, subtitle, and output folder.
Step 3. Get DVD ripping started.
Hit the RUN button to rip DVD for Plex at lightning speed with best quality.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software strongly discourages ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Video Tutorial: How to Rip and Add DVD Movies to Plex Library for Easiser Playback
Part 4 How to Add DVD Movies to Plex
Step 1. Download and install Plex Media Server. When the installation is finished or when the server is run for the first time, a browser will pop up and ask you to either sign in or sign up.
Step 2. Run Plex and click "Add Selection" and "Movies" to add the ripped DVD digital MP4 video to Plex.
Step 3. Install Plex app on any of your devices to stream and watch the DVD movie video anytime and anywhere you want.
Tips: In the Plex server you can set Plex to scan your library automatically when Plex detects changes in the directory . This way, when you save new DVD rip files in the source location, Plex library will be automatically scanned and updated. That is to say, with this function you don’t need to add DVD movies to Plex manually in the future.
Part 5 FAQs
1. Can Plex rip DVD?
2. How to convert DVD to Plex on Mac?
WinX DVD Ripper for Mac can help rip DVD to Plex format on macOS Big Sur, catalina and earlier.
- Step 1. Insert DVD into DVD drive and click DVD Disc button to load it into WinX DVD Ripper for Mac.
- Step 2. Choose an output format that Plex can read. MP4 is recommended.
- Step 3. Hit RUN to start ripping DVD for Plex on Mac computer.
3. How to use HandBrake to rip DVD for Plex?
- Step 1. Insert DVD into DVD drive.
- Step 2. Open HandBrake and select your DVD. Then, HandBrake will take a while to scan it.
- Step 3. Select the title and chapters you want to save.
- Step 4. Choose a preset and format that Plex can accept.
- Step 5. Specify output file name and save path.
- Step 6. Click Start Encode and then HandBrake will begin ripping DVD for Plex.
4. Why your DVD rip file has black bars at the top/bottom and sides?
This is a problem with aspect ratio. Old DVDs usually use 4:3, while wide screen TVs use 16:9. If your TV doesn't upscale the video to fill the screen, you will see black bars.
Tips: When you rip DVD, you should keep the aspect ratio same as the original DVD. WinX DVD Ripper has a option named keep origin.