I don't have a DVD player but I want to play DVD movie on my HD TV. Is there an app that can let me stream DVDs from my computer to Roku for later playback on TV?
Roku is another popular streaming player, besides Apple TV and Chromecast. Compared with Apple TV and Chromecast, Roku has many advantages. It supports 1800+ streaming channels including YouTube, Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu plus, PBS, Pandora, etc. and 200,000+ movies and TV episodes. And it is accessible to search around top channels to find your specified content and check if there's free content available. And the Roku 3 even comes with remote with headphone jack for private listening. Despite of various merits, Roku doesn't know how to play DVD-like sources. Video formats supported by Roku only cover MKV (H.264), MP4 (H.264), MOV (H.264), WMV (VC-1, firmware 3.1 only). So, if you want to play DVD movies like Transformers 4 on HD TV via Roku, it is sensible to learn how to stream DVD to Roku with a professional and fast DVD ripper in the following part.
Move to: Step-by-step guide to stream DVD to Roku
Rip any DVD movies to Roku supported formats at ease.
You may opt for some free DVD rippers like HandBrake to rip DVD to Roku compatible formats. But such kind of DVD rippers isn't suit for copy protected DVD movies, like Frozen, Guardians of the Galaxy, Transformers 4. If you want to effortlessly rip any regular and badly encrypted DVDs to Roku, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a good option. After downloading and installing, you can rip and stream DVD to Roku in several simple steps. (For Mac users, DVD Ripper for Mac is the way to go.)
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum – must-have app for DVD streaming to Roku
* Bypass all copy protections, such as region code, RCE, CSS, Sony ArccOS, Disney X-project DRM;
* Rip any DVDs to MP4, H.264, M4V, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, etc.
* Rip DVD movies to Apple, Android, Sony, Microsoft, Blackberry, Nokia and other devices;
* Rip DVDs as high quality digital files quickly and stably.
Step-by-step guide to rip and stream DVD to Roku
Step 1. Load DVD source.
This DVD ripper allows you to rip DVD disc, ISO image file and VIDEO_TS folder for streaming to Roku.
Step 2. Select output profile.
After loading successfully, it will select main title for you automatically and popup output profile window for you. It is suggested to select MP4 (H.264) as your output, thus you can play it on TV via Roku, as well as play the ripped DVD movie on other devices.
Step 3. Choose a folder to store the digital copy.
Step 4. Hit RUN to start ripping DVD to Roku acceptable format.
Thanks to the support for Multi-core CPU and Super Encode Engine based on MMX- SSE & 3DNow! and Hyper-threading technology, DVD ripping will be completed at super fast speed.
Step 5. Stream DVD movies to Roku.
In this step, you are supposed to:
- Transfer the digital copy in MP4 to a USB file or SD card and attach it to Roku.
- Make sure Roku USB Media Player Channel has been installed from Roku Channel Store.
- From the Roku home screen, select the Roku USB Media Player channel, and find the movie in the channel. (FYI: In a folder with both video files and subfolders, the video and movie files are shown at the top of the screen and the subfolders at the bottom of the screen.)
- Select the movie ripped from DVD to stream to HD TV via Roku. It may take several seconds to buffer or retrieve.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
If you need to fast rip DVD movies to Roku supported formats, or common formats/devices like MP4, AVI, WMV, MPEG, iPhone, iPad, Android/Microsoft devices, please try WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.
Note: The names of other companies, products and services are the property of their respective owners. Any logo, trademark and image relating to other companies that may be contained wherein are applied in the internet and are not used for commercial use. Digiarty's Software is not developed by or affiliated with such companies.