More and more cord-cutters turn to use streaming service represented by Netflix and Hulu, others prefer putting movie content through cloud service, Roku, Plex or the like.
The regular routine of converting DVD for streaming is: first, to digitize a DVD into a streaming allowed format; second, to put the DVD in the cloud or network attached storage device; finally, to stream the converted DVD movie with Chromecast, Plex, Roku and so on.
This text below will gather something about DVD video conversion and streaming, and walk you step-by-step through the detailed procedures.
The things you will need:
A source DVD
A DVD converter
A desktop computer and/or NAS if necessary
Plex to organize and stream media files
A smart TV that supports Plex or a streaming player like Roku
Converting or ripping a DVD to a streaming friendly digital copy is the initial and vital thing to do in this course. It is will become unsophisticated and straightforward only if you are choosing the right tool and right format.
HandBrake is not bad if you won't bother with copy protection unlocks nor get mixed up with the listed codecs, parameters and settings. Otherwise, WinX DVD Ripper comes as an easier-to-understand solution. It sets a new bar for turning DVD disc to digital copy free.
Step 1: Downloading and Installing a DVD Converter
1. Download a DVD ripper app like WinX DVD Ripper or HandBrake (>> WinX DVD Ripper vs HandBrake) on your 64-bit or 32-bit Windows Operating System or Mac.
2. Follow the wizard to install the program on your computer and open it.
Step 2: Transform Your Source DVD to MP4 or Other Video for Streaming
MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, MKV, AVCHD, FLV are all good video file formats for video streaming on the internet. For bigger compatible range and better compression, more folks prefer MP4 as the streaming format.
On the interface of WinX DVD Ripper, you can select such video or container format directly on the output navigation:
1. Feed the source disc into your DVD-ROM, click "DVD Disc" button and get the DVD loaded by the software.
2. On the navigated Output Profile window, choose a popular video format like MP4 Video (Codec: H264 + AAC) in General Profiles, PC General Video or Mac General Video, and click OK.
3. Activate the use of Hardware Acceleration by ticking Hardware Accelerator for the fastest speed.
4. Choose a Destination Folder to save the converted file.
5. Tap RUN button the start converting DVD to MP4 or other video. After a few minutes, your DVD is ready for streaming.
Tips: If you do not have a media server, you can copy the video from computer to a USB or external hard drive that is attached to your computer. As an alternative solution, you can play video from the inserted USB on your TV using Roku Media Player later.
Step 4. Stream and Play the Video Content Using Roku Media Player
Only after selecting the media file you wish to play and pressing OK or Play button, can you play the video directly. (See the detailed Roku guide >)
1. Converting DVD for streaming can keep DVD library away from being broken. Here is an example:
I have several kids and a huge collection of DVD's (and Blu-rays). With this application I can back-up my collection of DVDs and let them stream from a NAS without having the risk of seeing DVDs getting scratched or boxes being broken.
2. The globally popular streaming service like Amazon Video and iTunes does not support digital locker via its set-top box and mobile app. Therefore, Disc-to-digital supported by Vudu and Flixster is welcomed for flexible offline playback. (Disc to Digital: VUDU vs WinX DVD Ripper)
3. Streaming contains three layers of data management: 1. the encoded bits like H.264 for video; 2. the container that holds the encoded parts together (FLV, MP4); 3. the transport used for moving the stream from the media server to the user's player. M3U8 tells the player the order in which to play the stream. It's like a cargo manifest telling you which car to unload first as with so many other processes that occur in computing.
• Supports virtually all mainstream video/audio codecs, e.g. rip DVD to MP4 (H.264), AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV etc.
• Clones DVD to VIDEO_TS folder, ISO image or a single MPEG2 file at 1:1 ratio.
• Delivers highest possible image quality thanks to High Quality Engine and De-interlacing Engine.
• No.1 fast: supports hardware acceleration, Hyper-threading tech and Mulit-core utility.
Related External Source from Wiki:
What is video streaming service: A video streaming service is an on demand online entertainment source for TV shows, movies and other streaming media. Examples of pay video streaming services include Netflix, iTunes, Hulu, YouTube, Vudu, Amazon Instant, LoveFilm, Baidu, NowTV and Vimeo.
Arlene Cooper is a self-motivated, creative copywriter with several years of marketing and advertising experience, specializing in video, audio, images, advertisements, news digital content, etc.