[Updated] Top 3 Free Windows 10/11 DVD Rippers in 2022
The fact of upgrading to Windows 10/11 is undeniable with Windows 7 support coming to an end on Jan 14, 2020. It is important to notice that the native DVD playback option has been killed from Windows 10 and the newer Windows 11. So DVD owners may need to screen out a Windows 10/11 DVD ripper to convert DVD to digital file for easy playback on Windows 10 or 11.
Don't be panic, we hold a thorough review of top 3 free DVD rippers for Windows 10/11. Here you will find a favorite DVD ripping tool to rip DVD to MP4, WMV, AVI, MOV, ISO and other formats on Windows 10/11 without compatibility issue.
Download Free Full DVD Ripper for Windows 11/10/8/7!
WinX DVD Ripper is one of the best free Windows 10/11 DVD rippers that can rip DVDs incl. copy-protected discs to MP4, H.264, HEVC, AVI, WMV, FLV, MOV, MPEG for playback on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android, Samsung, HTC, etc or copy DVD videos to hard drive, USB, NAS, and cloud at ultra-fast speed.
Please DO NOT use WinX DVD Ripper to rip rental DVDs.
Table of Contents
Part 1. Review of Top 3 Best Free DVD Rippers for Windows 10/11
A DVD ripper, coming with various conversion choices (a long list of supported input & output video formats and devices), enabling access to encrypted DVDs, equipped with customization tools (to trim/crop video and adjust video parameters) and featuring ease of use, would be the one we prefer, provided that the DVD ripper is free and compatible with Windows 10/11. As outlined below, we pick out best 3 free Windows 10/11 DVD ripping software for you.
Best 3 Free DVD Rippers for Windows 10/11 at a Glance
DVD ripper for Windows 10
WinX DVD Ripper
Best Windows 10 DVD ripper overall with full support of protected DVD.
4 out of 5
Best open-source DVD ripper for Windows 10/11, Mac, and Linux.
3 out of 5
Best for making backup copies of DVDs on Windows 10.
2 out of 5
WinX DVD Ripper
- User rating: ★★★★☆
- Supported OS: Windows 10/11 and before
- Official site: https://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/
- Download link: https://www.winxdvd.com/download/winx-dvd-ripper.exe
- Input DVD types: Homemade/copy protected DVD disc, ISO image, VIDEO_TS folder
- Output formats/devices: MP4, MPEG, HEVC, H.264, FLV, MOV, MP3, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, Samsung, HTC, PSP, etc.
WinX DVD Ripper earns the title of best DVD ripper for Windows 10 thanks to a number of key DVD ripping features. This includes its veteran DVD copy protection removal kernel that makes it hassle-free to deal with any newly-released, unplayable, regional and even the 99-title DVDs, 4 unique DVD backup modes, and an extensive list supported formats from MP4, HEVC, H.264, MOV, WMV, AVI, to iPhone, iPad, Android.
The biggest improvement from its previous version 8.20.10 is the awesome performance of 47X real-time speed in our DVD to MP4 conversion test on Windows 10 PC. That means you will save a lot of time in backing up your discs especially if you have a large library of DVD movies.
With over 16-year DVD ripping experience, WinX DVD Ripper has been thumbed up by editors from tech giants including TechRadar, PCWorld, Lifewire, etc. Overall, it is second to none among the Windows 10 DVD rippers.
What we like:
- Output excellent image quality at no.1 fastest DVD ripping speed due to support for Level-3 Hardware Acceleration, Hyper-Threading and Super Encode Engine based on MMX- SSE & 3DNow!
- Unlock region codes and remove commercial DVD copy protections.
What we dislike:
- Not support Disney protected DVDs. You need to upgrade to Platinum Version to rip Disney DVDs.
- User rating: ★★★☆☆
- Supported OS: Windows 7 or later (incl. Windows 10)
- Official site: https://handbrake.fr/
- Download link: HandBrake-1.3.3-x86_64-Win_GUI.exe - 64 bit
- DVD types: Homemade DVD, some CSS copy protected DVD
- Output formats/devices: MP4, MKV, WebM, iPhone, iPad, iPod, iTunes, Apple TV, Android, Windows Phone, etc.
Handbrake is a world-known open-source DVD ripping application for Windows 10 or 11 that allows you to convert both DVDs and video files to work on media player, mobile device, smart TV, or upload to online platforms like YouTube. But be aware that it cannot rip DVD by circumventing or defeating any copy protection.
In terms of updates, the latest version V1.5 released on Jan 10, 2022 wasn’t a big update from its previous 1.4. Just a few fixes of chroma sample location information, initialization on older Intel CPUs, updated QSV acceleration, and more. In the meantime, Microsoft .NET Desktop Runtime 6 is required if you want to install the DVD ripper on Windows 10 or 11.
Handbrake cannot be topped when it comes to advanced customizable options, from the wide selection of general/web/devices/Matroska presets, encoder options, bitrate setting, display size, to filter, all housed within a traditional UI that advanced users can make full use of them.
Unfortunately, Handbrake isn’t for those unwilling to spend too much of learning curve. We wish the interface can be a little bit intuitive and the DVD/video merging feature can be added in the further, but sometimes for good DVD ripping result on Windows 10, you make trade-offs. The great thing about Handbrake is that the sacrifice of learning curve is few and far between. So it is still a good choice when it comes to rip a DVD on Windows 10.
What we like:
- Support hardware acceleration.
What we dislike:
- Bypass CSS DVD protection only if libdvdcss.dll/libdvdcss.pkg is installed previously.
- Hard to figure out how to calculate video parameters, e.g. Bitrate, to balance video quality and target size.
- Cannot rip most protected DVD movies, especially encrypted by Disney X-project DRM.
- No option to merge DVD titles.
- User rating: ★★☆☆☆
- Supported OS: Windows (no statement on official page, but runs well on Windows 10)
- Official site: http://www.dvdshrink.org/
- Download link: DVD Shrink free download on Softpedia
- Input DVD types: Homemade DVD, VIDEO_TS
- Output formats/devices: VIDEO_TS folder, ISO image
DVD Shrink is especially helpful if you no longer cling to the growing DVD collection and want to have copies of them to your windows computer. It delivers a fast and smooth DVD copying on Windows computer in a compact design. The fairly straightforward process itself helps you copy your enormous collection and produce ISO image or Video_TS folder of flicks.
DVD Shrink is rather a DVD copier than a DVD ripper for Windows. It cannot digitize DVD to format like MP4 or MKV. This glaring omission is one reason why DVD Shrink doesn’t rank higher. Despite the ripping capability doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to digitization, its flair for DVD copying means the movie title you back up from the physical disc will top the other Windows 10 DVD rippers in terms of image quality.
DVD Shrink hasn’t been updated for a long time. The version remained V18.104.22.168. This means it cannot cope with some new DVD copy protections. Instead, you will need to rely on third-party program like DVD Decrypter to rip copy-protected DVD discs. There is one thing to be reminded. Some sources indicate DVD Shrink doesn’t work with Windows 10. But from its official page and in our test, there is no problem ripping DVD on Windows 10 using DVD Shrink. So have a try.
What we like:
- Unlock region codes and some copy protections
What we dislike:
- ISO is not acceptable.
- No digital output formats or devices, like MP4, iPhone, Android, etc (more for DVD burning).
- No constant update. Find no way to delete the loaded dvd content.
Part 2. Best DVD Rippers for Windows 10/11 Detailed Comparison
Part 3. [Tutorial] How to Rip (Commercial) DVDs on Windows 10/11?
All the top 3 free DVD rippers for Windows 10/11 mentioned above cannot deal with Disney protected DVD movies, which contains 99 titles to confuse users. Here we will show you how to select the right title and fast rip DVD, be it copy-protected or region-locked, to MP4 with an upgraded version of one of the best 3 free DVD rippers for Windows 10/11.
First of all, download WinX DVD Ripper on Windows 10/11. (Tips: this DVD ripper is also compatible with Windows 8/7 or previous.)
Step 1: Input a source DVD.
Insert your Disney DVD into the drive and click "Disc" button to load the content. This Windows 10/11 DVD ripper will auto detect the right title among the 99 ones.
Step 2: Choose an output format.
Go to Output Profile -> choose "General Profiles" under the "MP4 Video" option.
Step 3: Start ripping the DVD on Windows 10/11 PC.
Make other settings if necessary. If the auto-selected title turns out to be not the right one, please feel free to Mail Us for technical support. Specify an output folder and click "RUN" to start ripping DVD.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Upgrade to the Best Windows 10/11 DVD Ripper - WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
- Easily rip Disney/Paramount/Warner DVD movies on Windows 10/11 to AVI, MP4, H.264, MOV, WMV, MPEG, MTS, FLV, iPhone, iPad Pro/Air/mini, Apple TV, iTunes, Samsung Galaxy, HTC, Chromecast, PSP/PS4/PS5, etc (up to 350+ profiles).
- Bypass all copy & region protections, including Disney X-project DRM, CSS, RCE, APS, ARccOS, etc.
- Unique level-3 hardware acceleration is added now to reach amazingly faster DVD ripping speed than before.
Part 4. Frequently Asked Questions about DVD Ripper for Windows 10/11
1. Does Windows 10 have a DVD ripper built in?
No. As we know, Media Centre has been disappeared from Windows 10/11, making it embarrassing when users want to play DVD movies and TV shows on Windows 10/11. And so far, Microsoft haven't made any plan of developing a DVD ripper to cater to Windows 10/11 users. You must rely on a third-party DVD ripper to rip and backup DVDs to hard drive for watching on smartphone or tablet or streaming from networked drive or media server.
2. What is the best free DVD ripper for Windows 10/11?
The best free Windows 10/11 DVD rippers are WinX DVD Ripper, HandBrake, and DVD Shrink. You can read the reviews above to help find your favorite one.
3. How do I rip a DVD with Windows 10/11?
Follow these steps to rip DVD on Windows 10/11:
- Download and install WinX DVD Ripper. Then open it.
- Insert DVD into DVD drive.
- In WinX DVD Ripper, click DVD Disc button to import inserted DVD.
- Choose an output profile and click OK.
- Hit RUN to begin ripping DVD on Windows 10.
4. Is it legal to rip a DVD?
Technically, it is illegal to rip a copy of a DVD. But it is totally safe if you just make a backup of the movie for personal use, while government focuses on those who redistribute copies of DVDs for commercial use.