Brief learning about Handbrake:
With respect to version 0.9.8, New Apple TV 3 and iPad presets have been added to HandBrake to get it updated. And afterwards you can rip DVD or convert video to x264 on Windows PC using HandBrake 0.9.9 to get better picture quality faster at a smaller size. Better still, HandBrake 0.10.0 has been released now (0.10.5 the latest version)! In the not long past, the improvement of this video transcoder may be attributed to:
HandBrake Windows Tutorial :
Associates with x265/VP8/Intel QuickSync Video/LibFaac : Benefits from the VP8 project, HandBrake has a large portion of these speed, size, and quality improvements. But the Intel QuickSync Video is just supported on Windows. x265 is a new technology and it is under heavy active development!
HandBrake Default Preset: The default behaviours of both audio and subtitle can be stored in presets.
Much Closer User Interface: In terms of feature parity, this 0.10.0 is the best one compared to the previous versions.
HandBrake has some limitations in all versions, like the nonsupport for copy protected DVDs, and limited preset device profiles. To meet all your DVD ripping needs, you're suggested to try a powerful HandBrake alternative - WinX DVD Ripper which can:
1. Rip any DVDs (including newly released copy-protected DVDs from Disney like Inside Out DVD) without any third-party software or codecs;
2. Rip DVD to iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, Android Samsung, HTC, PSP, MOV, WMV, MP4, etc. with preset profiles.
With the improvements mentioned above, now you can rip DVD and convert video by using Handbrake on Windows 10/8.1/7/XP PC conveniently and comfortably, like creating your self-made Handbrake iPhone presets, iPod touch presets, Handbrake iPad profile settings, making custom chapters, as well as rip encrypted DVDs.
First, download Handbrake and install it on your Windows PC (Handbrake supports Windows 8 OS 64 bit). Handbrake is available for Mac, Windows PCs, and Linux. So you can go on to check the Handbrake Tutorial for Mac OS.
Once downloaded, you'll be asked to install the program. Follow the directions on your screen and you'll be fine. Now, all you need to do is to prepare your DVD or video well before ripping DVD video using Handbrake 0.10.5.
Note 1: If you want to convert DVD, remember that Handbrake only rips DVDs that can be played in a DVD player (make sure your DVD's region matches DVD hard drive). So if you've got a disk filled with video files, such as AVI, MPG, WMV, MOV, etc, it won't convert them.
1. Insert DVD that needs converting into your computer and start the Handbrake software.
2. If a dialog box doesn't open up, click on the icon that says Source and select your DVD drive.
3. Handbrake will open the main Handbrake window and scan your DVD to detect the various titles and chapters (normally it will not take too long, but when trying to rip encrypted DVDs or DVDs with several titles, Handbrake will scan them one by one, so the time will be longer).
4. Select the proper title - Your DVD is likely to have several titles and chapters (like headings and sub-headings) for the main movie, and for other special features. Go find the solution to locate the right title >>
5. Sometimes, when you try and open a DVD, you might get a confusing set of folders. If you've already ripped the a DVD to your drive and want to convert it, you'll need to choose the VIDEO_TS folder.
Click Source dropdown button, then click Open File to locate your target video clip.
Note 2: Handbrake supported video - DVD VOB files, MPEG-TS, Matroska, AVI, MPEG-4, etc.
Note 3: Handbrake cannot at present encode from DRM-encrypted videos purchased from iTunes or found on DVD or Blu-Ray discs. Installing VLC libdvdcss for HandBrake would only rip CSS-protected DVDs.
HandBrake's incapable of ripping copy protected DVDs itself makes DVD ripping really complicated. An easier way is to download a HandBrake alternative like WinX Free DVD Ripper to rip not only regular DVDs but also copy protected DVDs. It unlocks DVD protections like CSS, UOP, RCE, region code and Sony ARccOS, etc. Besides, with its Platinum version, you can even rip Disney's DVDs and newly released movie DVDs with no difficulty.
Once you've chosen the source, the software will automatically ask you to select the destination. The way your picture and sound quality will turn out in the resulting file depends on the settings you choose in this step.
One of the first things you need to decide is what format you'd like the output file to be in. There are some presets that can be found on the Presets Toggle bar, and you can select any one of those, such as those for Apple TV, iPod and iPhone. If you need rip DVD or convert video to iPhone 6/5S, iPad Air 2/iPad mini 3, iPod touch 5, etc, here are user guide for creating Handbrake iPhone 6/iPod Air 2 presets, as well as for making Handbrake iPad preset setting.
Note 4: The default location for Handbrake's output files is the Desktop. Choose a different location if you'd like to save your file elsewhere, else just copy it over once it's done.
Note 5: Name the resulting video file. Handbrake will typically give it a default, but you may not recognize that name, so try and do so yourself.
Once you've chosen the source and destination settings, you're pretty much set to go. Just click on the Start button and the program will do the conversion for you. However, there are a few other settings to keep in mind in case you choose to get a little more involved.
1. Shrink the file. By default, you'll be ripping the files at full-size. While that's great for quality, you're going to need a lot of storage space. Especially, if you ripping several movies or TV shows, you're going to fill up your hard drive pretty quickly. Here are a few ways to save some space:
a. Cut out the credits by unselecting that chapter in the Source Settings. It's usually the last one.
b. Movies are typically made for the big screen. Since you're going to be watching the video on your computer or iPhone 6S/6/5S, iPad Air 2/mini 3 , you can afford to cut down on the picture quality.
c. You can select the desired size for the file, which is useful if you have only a limited amount of space.
d. You can also slim down the quality of the audio using Handbrake's Audio section.
2. If your DVD has several audio tracks, you can select a preferred audio track for the region you live in. Language is usually English in America.
3. If you want a high-quality file, you'll want to select 2-pass encoding. With this setting, Handbrake will go over your video twice. This does mean that it'll take twice as long, but it'll look and sound better even with a smaller file size.
Read on to find How to calculate Handbrake Video Quality Settings >>
Learn How to Fix 'Handbrake Output Video Quality Poor' Problem >>
1. To add subtitles: use the subtitle section of Handbrake to select from the ones available on your DVD/video. Once you've selected a subtitle, Handbrake will imprint it onto your finished movie.
2. Create chapters: an outstanding feature. (See Handbrake 0.9.8 Review). Now you can play and watch DVD/video movie upon your PC, iPhone 6/5S, iPod touch 5 or iPad Air 2/mini 3 with freely selectable chapters. It is just like enjoying the original DVD.
3. Edit output image: With Handbrake, you can make simple editions to the output picture, like shrink image size, cropping the output picture.
Handbrake is a very powerful and very efficient tool to have, especially if you have a huge collection of DVD/video movies that you want to back-up, or to watch on different media. However, there are a few things to keep in mind.
1. Always check the copyright notices on the DVDs you plan to copy (in fact it is fair legal to backup your own DVDs). Make sure you have full copy right of your DVDs or source video, and never use Handbrake for illegal purposes, such as for piracy or commercial gain.
2. If you want to rip TV episodes instead of a movie, you either need to convert the episodes one at a time, or try a simpler solution: build a queue. To build a queue:
a. First select the Enable Queue options.
b. Set up all of the options for each episode.
c. Click, Add to Queue.
d. Repeat for each episode.
HandBrake Crashes During Batch Conversion/Encoding - Fix 'HandBrake crashes during batch converting/encoding videos' error on PC/Mac
HandBrake Freezes While Encoding Problem Fixed - Find solution here to fix "HandBrake freezes while encoding" problem
Handbrake Bluray to iPhone rip - Rip Blu-ray to iPhone with Handbrake - Handbrake Bluray to iPhone rip
Handbrake Blu-ray rip Tutorial - Handbrake Blu-ray rip Tutorial How to Rip Blu-ray with Handbrake
HandBrake Not Working Solutions - Learn how to fix 'HandBrake Crash/Won't Rip DVD' error.
Some of DVDs Handbrake only Rip Half Way - Learn how to solve - Some of my dvds only rip half way. Does anyone know what my problem might be.
HandBrake "Error Opening" when Finished - Learn how to solve - sometimes, handbrake never seems to finish compressing a dvd. it just stays at 100%, eta 000000.
Cannot Attach Subtitles To A Movie with Handbrake - Learn how to solve "When riping DVD to a file, and enable the subtitle option, but cannot find the subtitle on your output movie"
Handbrake Error Message: "No Titles Found" - Learn how to solve - when i click on the source of the dvd i get an error saying "no titles found. please make sure you have selected a valid non copy protected source".
HandBrake Crashes before Finishing - Learn how to solve - Before HandBrake finishes a rip of a relatively long title, like say 20+ minutes, it crashes right as it gets at the finish, and as a result the rip is corrupted.
HandBrake Convert AVI to MP4 Problem - Learn how to solve - trying to convert some avi files into mp4 files using handbrake, selected the apple presets, the process starts then after a minute or so it crashes.
Want to know more about ripping DVDs and converting video with the HandBrake Windows alternative? Please Email Digiarty Support Team.
[Related Software] - HandBrake Alternative for Video Conversion
If you want to convert your SD, HD and 4K UHD and 8K videos to MP4, AVI, MOV, WMV etc. on your PC/Mac, WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is always your first choice!
Note: The names of other companies, products and services are the property of their respective owners. Any logo, trademark and image relating to other companies that may be contained wherein are applied in the internet and are not used for commercial use. Digiarty's Software is not developed by or affiliated with such companies.