[Updated 2021] Best 6 Handbrake Alternatives for DVD Ripping & Video Converting
Here we review top 6 best Handbrake alternatives to rip DVDs and convert videos on Windows (10/8/7) and Mac.
Handbrake (current version 1.3.3) is a good helper to assist people in ripping DVDs and converting videos. It is open source, clean, and easy to use (check full Handbrake user guide). However, it has some limitations and always pops up errors, thus leading many guys to search for the best Handbrake alternatives.
Handbrake limitations and errors that may irritate you include:
Handbrake can't rip copy-protected DVDs
Handbrake can't rip DVD with 99 titles
Handbrake only rip half DVD
Handbrake 'no titles found' error
Handbrake selects wrong title
Handbrake has limited output formats
It is hard to create Handbrake preset for devices
It is not easy to perform batch conversion with Handbrake
Handbrake always get crashed/stuck
Handbrake output is out of order or the video audio is out of sync
Besides the aforementioned, Handbrake has other flaws. If you've fed up with Handbrake, you can try the following Handbrake alternatives out, and see what you think.
Table of Contents
- Part 1: Best 3 Handbrake Alternatives for DVD Ripping
- ▪ WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
- ▪ DVDFab
- ▪ Aimersoft DVD Ripper
- Part 2. Best 3 Handbrake Alternatives for Video Conversion
- ▪ WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- ▪ Freemake Video Converter
- ▪ Any Video Converter
Part 1: Best Handbrake Alternatives for DVD Ripping
No.1 WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (Windows & Mac)
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum can work as an alternative to Handbrake, available for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, and so on. And its Mac version is compatible with OS X 10.6 and later, covering macOS Catalina and macOS Big Sur.
As a Handbrake substitute for DVD ripping, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is better than Handbrake in many aspects, such as:
- It can rip DVDs protected by DVD CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney X-project DRM and more independently. 99-title DVDs and workout DVDs are fully supported. It automatically ticks the right title and delivers high-quality output in order. No crashes.
- It provides 350+ different output formats. Handbrake allows users to rip DVD to MP4 and MKV only, but this tool is able to convert DVD to AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, FLV, MPEG, MP3, AAC, M4A and more video audio formats besides MKV and MP4.
- It comes with hundreds of preloaded profiles. Handbrake provides limited output profiles, while WinX DVD Ripper is designed to help directly rip DVD to iPhone 12/11, iPad Pro/Air 2/mini 3/4, Apple TV, Android Samsung, Google Nexus, Sony, Xbox etc.
No. 2 DVDFab (Windows & Mac)
DVDFab is another well-known DVD ripper supporting Windows and Mac OS. Just like WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, it is able to remove DVD copy protections, and rip regular and encrypted DVD discs/ISO files/DVD folders to popular media file formats and prevailing devices. But according to the DVDFab reviews on TopTenREVIEWS, it is not a fast DVD ripper. It needs about 1h to finish a full rip of a movie, while other competitors only cost about half that time when ripping the same movie.
No. 3 Aimersoft DVD Ripper (Windows & Mac)
As powerful as the aforesaid alternatives to Handbrake, Aimersoft DVD Ripper can also deal with copy-protected DVDs and possesses similar features, like rip DVD to mainstream multimedia formats, smartphones, tablets and gaming systems. It provides 175 preprogrammed output profiles in total. Meanwhile, it allows users to adjust video audio parameters and edit videos. It's a solid choice for both beginners and advanced users. However, the disadvantage is that it cannot perform a straight rip of raw DVD files such as the ISO or the Video TS folder.
Part 2. Best Handbrake Alternatives for Video Conversion
No.1 WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe (Windows & Mac)
When it comes to selecting an alternative to Handbrake for converting videos, WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is must be recommended. As we have mentioned at the beginning, Handbrake has many disadvantages while converting videos. So you need a replacement like WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe which enables you to:
- Convert/compress HD and even 4K UHD and 8K FUHD videos stably;
- Convert videos among MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, MPEG, MKV, M2TS, TS, MOD, HEVC (H.265), FLV, VOB, etc quickly;
- Convert videos to iPhone, iPad, Android Samsung, HTC, Kindle Fire, Sony, XXbox and more directly;
- Extract audios from videos in MP3, AAC, iPhone Ringtone, etc;
- Customize video audio parameters and edit videos at will.
Not only function as a video converter, it is also an online video downloader supporting 1000+ sites, and a photo slideshow maker supporting background music.
No 2. Freemake Video Converter (Windows)
Freemake Video Converter is a multi-functional yet free Handbrake alternative for Windows Vista, XP, 7 and 8. It is able to convert videos among a wide range of video formats, rip unprotected DVDs to common formats/devices as well as burn DVDs. That's really a pity that Freemake doesn't accompany with a Mac version, thus people have to seek for a Freemake alternative for Mac. In addition, most users complained on CNET saying that Freemake Video Converter is full of adware and possible malware. Be careful if you want to use it.
No 3. Any Video Converter (Windows & Mac)
Any Video Converter, also known as AVC, is advertised to be able to convert almost all video formats (200+ formats in total). Just like other Handbrake alternatives, AVC is not limited to convert videos. It can also edit videos by cutting, cropping, download videos from YouTube and other 100+ sites, and record videos. But compared to WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe, it is a bit behind in upgrading to support new devices, such as iPhone, Apple TV 4, and iPad Pro.