How to Calculate Handbrake Video Bitrate/Quality Settings
This HandBrake video quality tutorial can help you obtain the most appropriate bitrate settings for converted videos.
HandBrake is powerful integration of DVD ripping and video converting software. It is open-sourced and cross-platform on Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. As for free program, HandBrake gains great reputation and popularity. However, some of HandBrake's settings are always confusing to general users, for example the mostly concerned issue - How to calculate Handbrake video bitrate/quality settings when ripping DVD and converting videos. And this article aims at illustrating how to compute these complicated settings to choose the parameters that perfectly meet your need.
Understanding of HandBrake Video Setting Control Panel
Video Codec is device or software that enables video compression and/or decompression for digital video. Video codec used by HandBrake includes [MPEG-4, MPEG-2, H.264 (x264/Intel QSV) and H.265]. MPEG-4 is one of the latest compression method standardized by MPEG group, and H.264 (Also known as AVC, MPEG-4 Part 10) achieves high quality video in relatively low bitrates. There is minor quality difference between MPEG-4 and H.264 codec. But among those codecs, only H.264 has one option that supports converting video in accelerated speed by using Intel QSV tech.
Frame rate is the frequency at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames.
2-Pass Encoding: when you use average bitrate in 2-pass mode, the encoding will take twice as long. It can do a better job doling out bitrate, and you get a better quality video closer to the average bitrate you told it use.
Turbo first Pass: by enabling this, when encoding 2-pass with x264, you can cut down the time of the first pass by 50%-75%. There will be a drop in quality, but so slight as to be imperceptible to the eye.
Here Comes the Most Concerned Matter - HandBrake Quality Settings
1. Target size, really, is just the flip-side of average bitrate. The size of a video is the bitrate times the length. So if you have limited HDD storage space or you nearly run out iPad 64G, iPhone 32G memory space, you can choose Target size option. Then according to your demand on output size, HandBrake will calculate the proper bitrate on the basis of formula above. And the input value will be in MB units.
2. Sometimes you may have fair enough HDD space and rather than worry about the output video file size, you attach more importance to the Video Quality. Under the premise of avoid storage space waste, you are willingly to find a balance between video size and quality. Therefore you can manually set the Avg Biterate to achieve this equilibrium.
Note: Different video codec has diverse K value (H.264 k=0.012345, MPEG-4 k=0.0135), and R depends on the quality you desired (excellent r=1.0, good r=0.55, normal r=0.35).
Take 480P video as example. On the basis of formula above, you can calculate Handbrake video Bitrate/Quality settings when converting 480P video:
480P(720x480) h.264 excellent bitrate=4266 kbps, good bitrate=2346 kbps, normal bitrate=1493 kbps,
480P(720x480)mpeg4 excellent bitrate=4665 kbps, good bitrate=2565 kbps, normal bitrate=1632 kbps.
You'll notice that it is not as difficult as thought before. You can compute the approximate bitrate in accordence with the video codec you chosen and the file size you preferred. Please also take note that, this HandBrake Video Quality Setting formula is just approximately empirical formula. It can be applied to majority of video codecs, but not all of them. So you still need to make choices in accordance with actual situation. >> How to Set HandBrake for X265 Videos
3. With the average bitrate or target size methods, you control the size of the output file but give up controlling over the video's quality. Constant quality mode does the opposite; you specify a quality level and HandBrake adjusts the bitrate to meet it. Because it takes a different bitrate to reach a given quality level for any given part of any movie, the output size is unpredictable and varies from source to source. If you want to preserve the image quality, set HandBrake Quality Setting > Constantly Quality > around RF20. If you want to reserve some compression ratio, set HandBrake Quality Setting > Constantly Quality > around RF28. You'd better keep RF below 32, otherwise the output quality will be terrible.
Another Note: 100& applies no compression. So should you use 100% to perfectly preserve the source? Nope. You'll end up with video that's way larger than the DVD, but doesn't look any better. To sum up: when converting from a DVD source, there is no reason to go above 80% quality, which is roughly equivalent to how heavily the DVD is compressed. If you do go higher, your output will be larger than your input! However, as for some HandBrake alternative for ripping DVDs, like WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, they can make perfect backup of the DVDs by copying DVD to computer as MPEG2 video format with 100% original video, AC-3/DTS surrounding audio in only 5 minutes.
Something Wrong with HandBrake Since 0.9.4
1. From HandBrake V0.9.0 (Aug 19, 2007) to V1.0.0 (Dec 24, 2016), users always denounce the castigate of HandBrake that - how and when can HandBrake backup my own encrypted Disney DVDs (Learn to conquer HandBrake VLC 64bit Error when ripping copy-protected DVDs)?
2. From Wikipedia you learn that - HandBrake is designed to convert MPEG video (including DVD) into an MPEG-4 video in MP4 or Matroska (.mkv) containers. That means you have deadly limited output choices. Sometimes HandBrake developing team lack of deep-going analysis upon specific video conversion (without specific optimization to peculiar video codec, the conversion always consumes a lot of time).
3. Apart from HandBrake powerful DVD/video converting ability, it needs much more user-friendly GUI, since not all of HandBrake users are masterful at computer things.
At Times HandBrake Alternative Software can achieve better Video Conversion
WinX DVD/HD Video Converter Family (WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, DVD Ripper for Mac, HD Video Converter Deluxe, HD Video Converter for Mac) are best recommended HandBrake Alternative software. They encompass both Windows and Mac OS, especial own favorable stability upon Windows 64bit and Mac OS X. They have particular Profile system, which employ best optimized DVD/Video converting scheme (tested time after time by senior Digiarty Software Developing team). In accordance with your video converting demand, they can perfectly achieve Speed, Size, Quality as you expected.
Moreover, it is pretty hard to learn to create Handbrake iPad/iPhone preset settings, but with WinX DVD Ripper/Video Converter, you can not only use prepared iPad, iPhone, iPod, PSP, Xbox profile settings, but also make self-defined Profile settings for all your portable and console players at will.
Manually import Self-defined Profiles, More Convenience Than HandBrake
1. WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (Free download) and WinX DVD Ripper for Mac (Free Download) will make up ripping all DVDs that always cause troubles upon HandBrake (for instance backup Sony, Paramount and Disney encrypted DVDs).
2. Built-in more than 370 video/audio codecs, WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe (Free download) and WinX HD Video Converter for Mac (Free download) support all your HD/SD videos (like Blu-ray video, BDAV, AVCHD Video, etc), as well as HandBrake unsupported portable console players, like PS3, Xbox. What's better than HandBrake for this converter is that it can take full use of QSV & CUDA/NVENC to fast encode and decode videos in any format.
3. Moreover, WinX DVD/Video Converter software is designed with User-friendly GUI. As for inexperienced users, you can finish DVD/Video conversion with one-click solution.
Want to learn more details about HandBrake Video Bitrate/Quality Settings please Email to Digiarty Support Team.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum: Advanced version of free WinX DVD Ripper. Besides converting DVD to AVI at fastest speed in excellent quality, also converting DVD to MP4, MPEG, MOV, WMV, FLV, M2TS, TS, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android, Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, Google, Sony, Nokia, Asus, Acer, etc. Makes perfect 1:1 DVD to ISO image/DVD folder copy and clone DVD to multi-track MPEG2 file with 5 minutes only. Constantly update to defeat upcoming DVD copy protections.
WinX DVD Ripper for Mac: Mac version WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, best DVD ripper for El Capitan/Yosemite/Mavericks/Mountain Lion/Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard, convert DVD to MKV, MP4, H.264, MOV, M4V videos that are playable on Mac computer, as well as DVD to iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV, iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Air Playit, Android, etc.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe: Built in hundreds of A/V codecs and equipped with Online Dailymotion/Facebook/YouTube Video Downloader and Photo Slideshow Maker functions. As all-in-one HD Video Converter software, it helps you transcode HD video formats like convert AVCHD M2TS to MKV, convert Blu-ray to MKV, H.265/MKV to MP4, etc. Moreover, it is embedded with numerous profile settings for Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Microsoft portable devices, iOS, Android, Windows mobiles. Convert MKV to iPhone, MKV to iPad are good examples.
WinX HD Video Converter for Mac: Professional HD Video converter for converting HD Videos on Mac OS, provides the perfect solution to convert Blu-ray videos and videos from HDTV and HD camcorders, like JVC, Panasonic, Sony and Cannon to other formats. Also act as a Mac screen and camera video recorder, slideshow maker, Online Dailymotion/Facebook/YouTube video downloader, etc. Running perfectly on Mac OS X Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan.
HandBrake Cropping Guide: How to Disable Automatic Cropping and How to Crop Videos Manually
HandBrake AAC Encoder - What AAC Encoder Does HandBrake Use
HandBrake libdvdcss - Download Install HandBrake libdvdcss to rip copy protected DVDs.
Handbrake H.265 Encoder Alternative - Best Handbrake H.265 Encoder Alternative to Encode H.265 Video on Win (10) PC or Mac
Reduce video file size - How to Reduce Video File Size, Shrink Big-Sized Videos on PC/Mac
Handbrake Fails to Scan Files on Mac - How to Fix Handbrake Fails to Scan Video/DVD Source Files on Mac
HandBrake Not Working Solutions - Fix 'HandBrake Crash/Won't Rip DVD' Error
HandBrake Freezes While Encoding Problem Fixed - Find solution here to fix "HandBrake freezes while encoding" problem
HandBrake 0.10.0 Review - Review on the Latest HandBrake Version 0.10.0 for Windows, Mac and Linux
Handbrake Settings for Android - How to Make HandBrake Video Settings for Android Tablet
Handbrake Bluray to iPhone rip - Rip Blu-ray to iPhone 4 with Handbrake - Handbrake Bluray to iPhone rip
Handbrake Blu-ray rip Tutorial - Handbrake Blu-ray rip Tutorial How to Rip Blu-ray with Handbrake 0.9.5
HandBrake Rip DVD to iPod - How to Rip DVD to iPod Using Free Handbrake and Alternative Software
HandBrake Convert DVD to iPhone - Convert DVD to iPhone by Handbrake DVD to iPhone4/iPod touch4
HandBrake Preset for iPad - Create Handbrake iPad Preset Settings to Convert Video/DVD to iPad
Best Handbrake Alternative - Best Handbrake Alternative - Convert Copy Protected DVD and Video Fast
Handbrake 64 VLC Error - How to solve - This version of handbrake is 64, VLC found but not 64
Compress Video For Email - How to Compress/Convert HD/4K videos for Sending via Email
Related External Source
: HandBrake - popular DVD/Video encoding software, open-sourced
"hi, i am beginner of handbrake, thanks lot for this detailed handbrake video quality settings tutorial, it is really helpful! "
"i ve tried your handbrake alternatives - let me say - winx dvd ripper, it's cool, comparing with handbrake, it is faster. it takes only 16 minutes to backup my whole d9 dvd! it is amazing! "
- WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
- WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- WinX DVD Copy Pro
- WinX DVD Ripper for Mac
- WinX HD Video Converter for Mac
- WinX DVD to iPhone Ripper
- WinX iPhone Ripper for Mac
- WinX iPhone Video Converter
- WinX iPhone Converter for Mac
- WinX Bluray DVD iPad Ripper
- WinX DVD to iPad Ripper for Mac
- WinX MediaTrans
- WinX YouTube Downloader
Fast DVD Ripper, DVD Rip, DVD Copy, Free DVD Ripper, HD Video Converter, YouTube MP4 Downloader, DVD Converter, DVD Decrypter, DVD Ripper for Mac, DVD Ripping Software, DVD to MP4, MP4 DVD, DVD to AVI, DVD Backup, Rip Copy Protected DVD, DVD ISO, DVD Burning Software, WinX Answers