5 Best Free DVD Rippers for macOS (Big Sur/Catalina/Mojave...)
"I am experiencing problems with Handbrake on macOS Big Sur. When I put in a DVD, it says that I need to install a libdvdcss.pkg file, and when I follow the link to the download website, it says that my computer is too advanced for the software. I've tried everything but nothing works. Is there any easy-to-use free DVD ripper for macOS?"
Before we introduce the top 5 free DVD rippers for Mac of 2021, let me just say a word or two about the reason why DVD ripping software is necessary for us.
DVD ripping tool could change and facilitate our way of entertainment and open the door to a world of watching DVD movies offline on the go, with no need of DVD drive. To be specific, we will be able to play DVD movies and TV shows on Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, PC, Android phones and tablets, and any device that supports video playback.
Top 5 Mac DVD Ripper Freeware at a Glance
Top 5 Free DVD Rippers for Mac 2021
The following table shows the most common user needs while looking for a Mac DVD ripper.
Mac DVD ripper Requirements
1. The compatibility with different types of DVD.
1. Accept all kinds of DVD disc: 99-title, workout DVD, broken/scratched DVD, etc.
2. Enable all Mac users to watch DVD movies on any devices at any time.
2. Constantly update to support the latest released devices, such as the new 16-inch Macbook Pro, iPhone 12, etc.
3. Output high-quality video and sound, basically losslessly.
3. Feature flexible parameter settings to give you full control over video/audio codec, resolution, frame rate, etc.
4. Rip DVD movies on Mac fast.
4. Support hardware accelerated DVD encoding and decoding.
5. Access all commercial DVDs.
5. Technology to bypass DVD copy protections.
So based on these user needs, we have singled out the best 5 free DVD rippers for Mac as below.
Note: Starting with macOS Catalina, Mac system no longer supports 32-bit apps. If you've upgraded your operating system to macOS 10.15 or later, make sure you've donwloaded the 64-bit DVD ripper software on Macbook Pro/Air, iMac for a hassle-free DVD conversion.
1. WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free
100% free, GPU accelerated, rip any proctected DVDs on Mac, World's 1st DVD ripper for macOS Big Sur.
WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free (it also has a free DVD ripper version for Windows 10/8/7) is a piece of free DVD ripping software for Mac OS X 10.6 and later (now up to 11 Big Sur and will updated when new macOS is released). It will easily rip any protected DVDs, old and new titles, homemade/burned discs, other DVDs on a Mac. With 350+ built-in formats and devices, you can convert DVDs to Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iTunes, iMovie, etc.
On top of that, it makes timely update and is the world's 1st DVD ripper to support the latest macOS, the newest devices, and the newly-released DVDs. Thanks to its powerful DVD analysis engine and the support for Intel QSV, NVIDIA NVENC/Cuda GPU hardware acceleration, it reads and rips DVD at lightning fast speed. It copes well with commercially protected DVDs, damaged/scratched DVDs, covering complicated 99-title discs, ISOs or folders, workout DVDs, regional and even non-standard discs. And it is easy to handle.
1. You'd better choose "Safe Mode" on the main interface of WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free when ripping Disney DVDs and other strictly-encrypted discs.
2. Ultra-fast ripping speed actually is opposite to the lossless original quality, though not diametrically. A best free Mac DVD ripper like WinX DVD can help you reach the best balance to rip DVD fast while maintaining high quality.
Just free download WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free to have a try!
Please DO NOT use WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free to rip rental DVDs.
For Mac only. If you are a mobile user, please click here.
2. HandBrake for Mac
Free, GPU accelerated, compatible with Mac, Windows, Ubuntu...
HandBrake is probably the most well-received DVD ripping software for Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, etc. HandBrake now supports hardware accelerated DVD ripping. It rips DVD disc/ISO image/VIDEO-TS folder to MP4 and MKV formats, encoded in H.264, H.265, MPEG-4 and MPEG-2.
Despite being embedded with only two output formats, it's favored by Mac and Windows users for being free. But you have to download install libdvdcss for HandBrake to bypass copy protections. Libdvdcss has been removed since HandBrake 0.9.2, which requires you to download libdvdcss by yourself for ripping copy protected DVDs on Mac.
But there would really be much trouble to create preset for your device and you'd better be with good mathematical calculation skill. In a word, HandBrake Mac DVD ripper is good but not that easy-to-use. Besides, this free DVD ripper is unsupported on Mac 10.10 Yosemite and below, and the support of the latest macOS would not be updated timely. Thus HandBrake usually has a short unsupported gap when a new version of macOS launches.
Free, no GPU acceleration, rip DVD to MKV only, large file size because of no compression.
MakeMKV is good free DVD ripper software for Mac, Windows and Linux. It rips both Blu-ray and DVD to MKV, and can cope with DVD copy protection AACS. Common functions like preserving chapters information and track languages are included. Sadly, you can tell from its name that this free Mac DVD ripping tool will only allow you to output an MKV file.
Converting DVD to AVI, MP4, MOV, FLV can't be realized using it. And on its download page there is a note warning that MakeMKV is not signed by Apple. To successfully install this free Mac DVD ripper, you need to adjust gatekeeper options.
Another thing you need to know is that MakeMKV doesn't compress video while ripping, so your output will be a very large file. You need to use an extra video compressor to reduce file size if you have limited storage space.
4. MacTheRipper 2.6.6
Free, not compatible with Snow Leopard or later.
MacTheRipper 2.6.6 can be counted in this top 5 list of free Mac DVD ripping software of 2021. It is free, and it enables users to rip DVDs by defeating DVD protections CSS, UOP and region code. However, unfortunately, this free DVD ripping tool is not compatible with Mac OS X newer than Snow Leopard.
Mac users who have upgraded to Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan or other higher version have to either pay to get MacTheRipper 4 or find other workarounds. And the worst part is, when we click the free download button, it just jumps to the buy page of MTR 5.0.07. We believe there should be other pages offering the free download link, and maybe you can do a quick search.
5. VLC for Mac
Free, rip and play DVD and video, rip non-copy protected DVD only.
VLC is a well-known media player working on both Windows and Mac flawlessly. Aside from playing DVD, MP4, MKV, MOV and other media files, VLC is built with a DVD ripper available for you to rip DVDs to your Mac and save them to hard drive as video files, for either archiving or playing without physical disks. You can also save DVD disc to media server for streaming anytime anywhere.
You have to bear in mind VLC won't work with encrypted DVDs. It can be glitchy when rip protected DVDs encoded with region code, CSS, Sony ARccOS or Disney X-Project. For a robust DVD ripping experience on macOS, you have to rely on a third-party DVD decrypter to defeat the copy protection first and then rip DVD on Mac with VLC.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best free DVD ripper for Mac?
In this article, we have singled out 5 best free DVD ripping software for Mac, including WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free, HandBrake, MakeMKV, MacTheRipper 2.6.6, and VLC. Check our reviews.
2. How to rip a DVD to Mac for free?
- Step 1. Download and install WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free on your Mac computer.
- Step 2. Insert the DVD you want to rip into DVD drive. Open WinX DVD Ripper and click DVD button to load the disc you just inserted.
- Step 3. Choose a preset based on your own needs.
- Step 4. Hit RUN to begin ripping DVD to Mac.
3. How do I rip a protected DVD on a Mac?
WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free can rip encrypted DVD on Mac. Just install this software and then you can import your protected DVD for ripping.
4. How do I rip a DVD with VLC Mac?
- Step 1. Download, install, and open VLC on your Mac. Insert target DVD into DVD drive for later ripping.
- Step 2. Click the File menu item on the top left corner of your Mac screen. Then, click Open Disc...from the drop-down menu. You'll see a window opening with your DVD info.
- Step 3. Click Disable DVD menus.
- Step 4. Check Stream output.
- Step 5. Click Settings and then you'll come to Streaming and Transcoding Options.
- Step 6. Under the options, select File and click Browse to specify a save path and a name for your DVD rip file.
- Step 7. Click Encapsulation Method to choose a desired format.
- Step 8. Set the transcoding options.
- Step 9. Once you have finished the settings, click OK. Then, VLC will start ripping DVD to your Mac.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.