[Updated] 2020 Top 5 Free DVD Rippers for macOS (Catalina)
Use the best free DVD rippers for Mac 2020 to rip DVD movies and TV shows to MP4, MKV, MOV, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV.
- "I am experiencing problems with Handbrake on macOS Catalina. When I put in a DVD, it says that I need to install a libdvdcss.pkg file, and when I follow the link to the download website, it says that my computer is too advanced for the software. I've tried everything but nothing works. Is there any easy-to-use free DVD ripper for macOS?"
People who put forward the above question obviously have a notion of what Mac DVD ripping software is for. Before the analysis of the best five free DVD rippers for Mac, you should know why DVD ripper software is necessary for Mac as well as Windows users.
A good DVD ripping tool could change and facilitate your way of entertainment and open the door to a world of watching DVD movies offline on the go, with no need of disc drive or DVD player. To be specific, you will be able to play DVD movies on Mac, iPhone, iPad, PC, Android phones and tablets, etc.
Mac DVD ripper Requirements
1. The compatibility with different types of DVD.
1. Accept all kinds of DVD disc: 99-title, workout DVD, broken/scratched DVD, etc.
2. Enable all Mac users to watch DVD movies on any devices at any time.
2. Constantly update to support the latest released devices, such as the new 16-inch Macbook Pro, iPhone 11, iPad 7, Apple TV 5, etc.
3. Output high-quality video and sound, basically losslessly.
3. Feature flexible parameter settings to give you full control over video/audio codec, resolution, frame rate, etc.
4. Rip DVD movies on Mac fast.
4. Support hardware accelerated DVD encoding and decoding.
5. Access all commercial DVDs.
5. Technology to bypass DVD copy protections.
Note: the latest macOS Catalina no longer supports 32-bit apps. If you've upgraded your operating system to the latest 10.15 or get the new 16-inch Macbook Pro, make sure you've donwloaded the 64-bit DVD ripper software on Macbook Pro/Air, iMac for a hassle-free DVD conversion.
Top 5 Free DVD Rippers for Mac 2020
Here we put emphasis on best free Mac DVD rippers of 2020, for DVD encryption tech keeps changing and only software constantly updating could really meet users' needs.
For example, many of you perhaps are troubled by not being able to rip Frozen or Avengers Endgame DVD on Mac/PC with your previously installed program, due to strong Disney X-project DRM. So we do a new size-up and include best five free Mac DVD ripper software as below, with testing statistics and effects to help you do the choice.
1. WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free
100% free, GPU accelerated, rip any proctected DVDs, World's 1st DVD ripper for macOS Catalina.
WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free (it also has a free DVD ripper version for Windows 10/8/7) is a piece of free DVD ripping software for Mac OS X 10.6 and later (now up to 10.15 Catalina and will updated when new macOS is released). It will easily rip any protected DVDs, old and new titles, homemade/burned discs, other DVDs. With 350+ built-in formats and devices, you can convert DVDs to Mac/iOS/iTunes specific video audio formats for free, like MP4, MPEG, FLV, MP3, etc for playing on PC, iPhone, iPad and Apple TV.
On top of that, it makes timely update and is world's 1st DVD ripper to support the latest macOS Catalina, successfully reading DVD movie and ripping DVD at lightning fast speed as long as you permit it to access files on a removable volume (a move to access movie info without invading your privacy).
Please DO NOT use WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free to rip rental DVDs.
For Mac only. If you are a mobile user, please click here.
• It allows you to speed up DVD ripping by utilizing GPU acceleration: Intel QSV, NVIDIA NVENC/Cuda and Hyper-threading tech.
• Output quality can be ensured by High Quality Engine. DVD ripping on Mac can be done fast with optimal video/audio (Dolby 5.1 Channel) quality.
• And above all, it copes well with commercially protected DVDs, damaged/scratched DVDs, covering complicated 99-title discs, ISOs or folders, workout DVDs, regional and even non-standard discs. And it is easy to handle.
2. HandBrake for Mac
Free, GPU accelerated, compatible with Mac, Windows, Ubuntu...
HandBrake is probably the most well-received DVD ripping software for Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, etc. HandBrake Mac 1.2.0 now supports hardware accelerated DVD ripping. It rips DVD disc/ISO image/VIDEO-TS folder to MP4 and MKV formats, encoded in H.264, H.265, MPEG-4 and MPEG-2.
Despite being embedded with only two output formats, it's favored by Mac and Windows users for being free. But you have to download install libdvdcss for HandBrake to bypass copy protections.
But there would really be much trouble to create preset for your device and you'd better be with good mathematical calculation skill. In a word, HandBrake Mac DVD ripper is good but not that easy-to-use. Besides, this free DVD ripper is unsupported on Mac 10.10 Yosemite and below, and the support of the latest macOS would not be updated timely. Thus HandBrake usually has a short unsupported gap when a new version of macOS launches.
Free, no GPU acceleration, rip DVD to MKV only, large file size because of no compression.
MakeMKV is good free DVD ripper software for Mac, Windows and Linux. It rips both Blu-ray and DVD to MKV, and can cope with DVD copy protection AACS. Common functions like preserving chapters information and track languages are included. Sadly, you can tell from its name that this free Mac DVD ripping tool will only allow you to output an MKV file.
Converting DVD to AVI, MP4, MOV, FLV can't be realized using it. And on its download page there is a note warning you that MakeMKV is not signed by Apple. To successfully install this free Mac DVD ripper, you need to adjust gatekeeper options.
Another thing you need to know is that MakeMKV doesn't compress video while ripping, so your output will be a very large file. You need to use an extra video compressor to reduce file size if you have limited storage space.
4. MacTheRipper 2.6.6
Free, not compatible with Snow Leopard or later.
MacTheRipper 2.6.6 can be counted in this top 5 list of free Mac DVD ripping software of 2020. It is free, and it enables users to rip DVDs by defeating DVD protections CSS, UOP and region code. However, unfortunately, this free DVD ripping tool is not compatible with Mac OS X newer than Snow Leopard.
Mac users who have upgraded to Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan or other higher version have to either pay to get MacTheRipper 4 or find other workarounds. And the worst part is, when we click the free download button, it just jumps to the buy page of MTR 5.0.07. We believe there should be other pages offering the free download link, and maybe you can do a quick search.
5. VLC for Mac
Free, rip and play DVD and video, rip non-copy protected DVD only.
VLC is a well-known media player working on both Windows and Mac flawlessly. Aside from playing DVD, MP4, MKV, MOV and other media files, VLC is built with a DVD ripper available for you to rip DVDs to your Mac and save them to hard drive as video files, for either archiving or playing without physical disks. You can also save DVD disc to media server for streaming anytime anywhere.
You have to bear in mind VLC won't work with encrypted DVDs. It can be glitchy when rip protected DVDs encoded with region code, CSS, Sony ARccOS or Disney X-Project. For a robust DVD ripping experience on macOS, you have to rely on a third-party DVD decrypter to defeat the copy protection first and then rip DVD on Mac with VLC.
Tips for Using Best Free Mac DVD Rippers 2020
1. You'd better choose "Safe Mode" on the main interface of WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free when ripping Disney DVDs and other strictly-encrypted discs.
2. Libdvdcss has been removed since HandBrake 0.9.2, which requires you to download libdvdcss by yourself for ripping copy protected DVDs on Mac.
3. Ultra-fast ripping speed actually is opposite to the lossless original quality, though not diametrically. A best free Mac DVD ripper can help you reach the best balance to rip DVD fast while maintaining high quality.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best free DVD ripper for Mac?
In this article, we have singled out 5 best free DVD ripping software for Mac, including WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free, HandBrake, MakeMKV, MacTheRipper 2.6.6, and VLC. Check our reviews.
2. How to rip a DVD to Mac for free?
Step 1. Download and install WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free on your Mac computer.
Step 2. Insert the DVD you want to rip into DVD drive. Open WinX DVD Ripper and click DVD button to load the disc you just inserted.
Step 3. Choose a preset based on your own needs.
Step 4. Hit RUN to begin ripping DVD to Mac.