3 Ways to Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac for Free
I want to convert a collection of latest bought DVDs to MP4 for my upcoming trip. But, how can I do this on my Mac computer?
Mac's Disk Utility can create an image file from our DVD, but it cannot output MP4 file. To convert DVD to MP4 on Mac, you'll have to download and install a third-party DVD ripper on your Mac. So here we'll introduce you 3 free programs to rip DVD to MP4 on Mac, namely WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free, HandBrake, and VLC. If your DVDs are copy-protected, WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free is the way to go. Now read the detailed tutorials below.
Table of Contents
Method 1. How to Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac with WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free [Top Choice]
WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free, one of the best free DVD rippers for Mac, is focusing on helping users rip protected DVD to MP4 (MPEG/H.264) for free on all Mac platforms.
- Supported OS: macOS Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, (High) Sierra, Mac OS X El Capitan/Yosemite/Mavericks, etc.
- Bypass DVD protections: DVD CSS, UOP, RCE, region code, Sony ARccOS, Disney X-project DRM, etc.
- Supported input sources: DVD disc, DVD folder, ISO image file
- Supported output formats: Mac general video (MP4, MOV, M4V), PC general video (MP4, MPEG, AVI), iTunes (MP4, H.264), YouTube video (MP4, FLV), music (MP3, AAC, AC3), image (PNG), device profiles (iPhone, iPad, Android, Sony, Microsoft), etc.
- Convert almost all copy-protected DVDs to MP4 for free on Mac by supporting all DVD protections.
- Practical video editing features like splitting a part of DVD movie video to rip by setting Start/End time.
- Advanced video/audio parameter settings enable you to freely change video resolution, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc. to get expected output effect.
- The support for "High Quality Engine", GPU hardware acceleration, multi-core CPU and Hyper-threading technology makes it create a high-quality MP4 file at superfast speed.
* 100% clean and secure, with no adware, malware, spyware, virus at all *
Quick Guide to Free Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac
First of all, free download and install WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free on your Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, iMac, or Mac mini. Then, follow the steps below.
Step 1: Load the DVD movie into this free DVD to MP4 converter for Mac.
Put target DVD into the DVD-ROM. Open the software WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free, then click "DVD" button on its top-left corner to load the detailed DVD information. DVD folder and ISO image file input options are also provided next to it. This tool can auto check the right DVD main title for you, which the free Handbrake can't do.
Step 2: Choose MP4 (MPEG4/H264) as the target output.
In the auto pop-up Output Profile window, click Mac General Video --> MP4 Video. Then tap "Done".
Before beginning to free convert DVD to MP4 on Mac, you can click "Edit" icon to crop, trim, expand the DVD movie video, or add external SRT subtitles to it; or click the wheel-like icon to open the video/audio parameter settings window to make free adjustments to get desired output effects for the MP4 video.
Step 3: Start converting DVD to MP4 file for free.
Click "Browse" button on the bottom to choose a preferred destination folder to save the ripped DVD movie video.
Then tap "RUN" button to start ripping DVD to MP4 video for free without losing quality with this powerful yet free DVD converter.
- Use "Safe Mode" to steer away all hitches if you meet problem in ripping copy protected DVD.
- Maximize the DVD conversion speed by choosing CPU Core use (utmost 8).
- Tick "High Quality Engine" or "Keep Origin" to output best video quality.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so. Still have trouble about converting DVD to MP4 on Mac? Please feel free to Email Us >>
Method 2. How to Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac with HandBrake
HandBrake is a free and open source tool you can use to convert DVD to MP4 on Mac.
- Supported OS: Current version 1.5.1 can work well on macOS 10.13 and later.
- Bypass DVD copy protection: Actually, HandBrake can't circumvent DVD copy protection on its own. If you want to rip copy-protected DVD to MP4, you need to install libdvdcss on Mac for HandBrake.
- Supported input sources: DVD and Bluray sources, and common multimedia files
- Supported output formats: .MP4(.M4V), .MKV and WebM
Quick Guide to Convert DVD to MP4 with Free HandBrake
If you have installed HandBrake on Mac and inserted target DVD into DVD drive, it's time to open HandBrake for converting DVD to MP4 on Mac.
Step 1. HandBrake will present Open Source dialog on launch. What you need to do there is to select the DVD you just insert. After that, HandBrake will start scanning the DVD. There are usually dozens of titles to scan. Once finished, you should use HandBrake's Title control to select the title you want to convert to MP4.
Step 2. Choose a preset, such as Fast 576p25. After you choose a desired preset, click Summary tab and make sure the format is MP4.
Step 3. If you don't need to adjust other settings, now you can click the Browse button to choose a save path for the MP4 output.
Step 4. Click the Start button on the Toolbar to begin converting DVD to MP4 on Mac with HandBrake.
Method 3. How to Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac with VLC
VLC is not just a media player, but also a DVD to digital converter.
- Supported OS: Current version 3.0.16 requires Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later.
- Bypass DVD copy protection: CSS
- Supported input sources: DVD, Blu-ray, Audio CD, SVCD/VCD
- Supported output formats: MP4, MOV, AVI, FLV, WebM, MP3, etc.
Quick Guide to Convert DVD to MP4 for Free with VLC
To get started, download and install VLC on your Mac. Then insert target DVD into your Mac's DVD drive and follow the steps below.
Step 1. Open VLC, click File menu, and choose Open Disc. Then Open Source window will show up. And here you should see your DVD name. now, click Disable DVD menus.
Step 2. Check Stream output at the bottom left and then click Settings to open Streaming and Transcoding Options. What you need to do here include:
- Check File and click Browse to specify a save location and a name for your mp4 output.
- Click the Encapsulation Method drop-down box and choose MPEG 4.
- Adjust video/audio settings if necessary.
Then click OK.
Step 3. After you get back to Open Source, click the blue Open button to begin converting DVD to MP4 on Mac with VLC. Generally, it will take anywhere from 15 to 40 minutes per half-hour of video.
Conclusion: Which Is the Best Software to Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac?
Each DVD converter has its own advantages and disadvantages. WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free is specially designed to convert DVD, so it features powerful DVD decrypting capability, fast processing speed, and great output quality. HandBrake is a powerful video transcoder with many advanced options, but it cannot handle sources with any kind of copy protection. VLC is a multifunctional tool, but it converts DVDs very slowly. So when it comes to which is the best DVD to MP4 converter for Mac, WinX DVD Ripper Mac Free is the answer. The most professional is the best. You can give it a try!