How to Play DVD on iPad, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini
The 12.9-inch and 11-inch iPad Pro, as well as the earlier iPad Air, iPad mini have the best screens, 128GB-1TB large storage, up to 10 hours of watching video, the most powerful chip, etc. Those features make Apple iPad one of the best choice for movie playback. There are cases that you may want to watch movies during long flight or train travel. Since there is no internet, then you will want to play DVD on iPad. However, iPad doesn't have DVD slot. Is it possible to watch DVD on iPad? Let's read on.
Table of Contents
Part 1 Is It Possible to Connect an External DVD Drive to iPad for DVD Playback?
It might be physically possible to get a USB adapter, plug in an external DVD drive, and put in a DVD. However, iPad has no way of recognizing the DVD drive or DVD player. Even if iPad could recognize it, there is no iPad DVD player app, even the versatile VLC, that can read the "raw" DVD files. iPad can't be used as a monitor for DVD player. iPads are not designed to work with external peripherals.
So, it is impossible to play DVD discs directly on iPad. But, this doesn't mean that you can't watch your DVD movies on iPad. You can convert your DVD to iPad playable format with ease.
Part 2 Convert DVD to iPad Playable Format
This way, you will get a digital copy from your DVD disc and can play it on iPad anytime anywhere. You don't need to purchase a digital copy on Amazon, Netflix, and the like.
To rip a DVD to iPad, firstly you need to download and install a DVD ripper.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a great DVD ripping program that can digitize almost all DVDs to help you play and enjoy DVD movies on Apple iPad Air, iPad, iPad Pro and iPad mini.
- It supports any new DVDs, old DVDs, 99-title DVDs, TV shows DVDs, even if they are scratched & damaged DVDs.
- It supports home-made DVDs, commercial DVDs encoded with region codes, CSS, Sony ArccOS, and other copy protection schemes.
- It easily rips DVDs into MP4, MOV, H.264, HEVC, M4V, AVI, 3GP, WMV, any digital formats.
- It comes with profiles for Apple iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad 4/3/2, iPad mini/2/3/4, iPhone, Samsung, PS, Xbox, other latest devices.
- The Level-3 Hardware Acceleration & High Quality Engine ensures superfast converting speed with excellent quality!
Let's download WinX DVD Ripper to rip DVD to iPad!
Please DO Not use WinX DVD Ripper to rip rental DVDs.
When you finish the installation, now you can follow the steps below to digitize DVD for iPad.
How to Rip DVD to iPad?
Step 1: Load Target DVD to WinX DVD Ripper.
Firstly, insert DVD into an internal or external DVD drive. Then, click "DVD Disc" to load the disc to WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.
Step 2: Select Output Format that iPad Supports.
To watch DVD on iPad, you can either click "Apple Device" -> "to iPad video" -> "iPad Pro (H264 or MPEG)" (or other model) or go to General Profiles and select an format supported by iPad, such as MP4 Video.
Step 3: Select Destination Folder to save the digital copy.
Click "Browse" button to select the destination folder for the DVD rip file.
Step 4: Beging Converting DVD to iPad
Click "RUN" button to start the DVD to iPad ripping. The rip will take several minutes. After the conversion, you can transfer the ripped movie to iPad and play DVD on Apple iPad anywhere you like.
How to Transfer DVD Rip Files to iPad?
Method 1. Use iTunes
- Open iTunes.
- Click File menu, hit Add to Library… and then select the DVD rip file you want to import to iTunes and sync with iPad.
- After you import it into iTunes successfully, you will see it in the films section of iTunes.
- Connect your iPad to computer with a USB cable and sync the movies with your iPad in the usual way. Then, the DVD movie should appear on your iPad and ready to play.
Method 2. Use WinX MediaTrans
If iTunes doesn't work well, you can also use WinX MediaTrans to transfer DVD movie to iPad.
Part 3 FAQs
1. How to watch DVD on iPad without converting?
If you have a DVD drive with WiFi capability, you can connect the DVD drive to your router and stream it wirelessly to your iPad.
2. Is there a DVD player for iPad?
No. there's no DVD player hardware or software for iPad.
3. Is it legal to rip DVD to iPad?
It varies with countries. However, it is fine if you rip your own DVD for your own fair use.
Still have trouble about how to play DVD on iPad, please feel free to Email Us >>