Updated by May Watt - Contact Author
If you're seeking for an easy solution, click here: The solution most recommended by us [85%]
Mac Won't Play DVD? Fix DVD Not Playing on MacBook Pro/Air/iMac/iMac Pro Easily
- Everytime I put a DVD into my MacBook Pro, the disk spins around and then it is ejected. I have tried repairing permissions and lots of different DVD. Help?
- I want to use my Mac to present a DVD with projector. I put it in my Mac and the DVD player pops up. But when I press Play, it says "Supported Disc Not Available". Why my Mac won't play DVD? Any help would be great!
Open Apple communities, forums and we can easily discover the posts with title "Mac won't play DVD". Why sometimes DVDs cannot play on our Mac computers (MacBook Pro/Air/iMac/iMac Pro etc.) and how to fix the problem for playing DVDs on Mac smoothly?
Why Mac Won't Play DVD Error Happens?
Getting the reason why DVD won't play on Mac would help a lot to find the most appropriate solution. Here are some causes for DVD not playing on Mac:
- Possible reason 1: Mac won't recognize DVD. If the optical drive refuses DVD disc or no disc found/detected, you will experience a DVD not playing on Mac computer error. Usually, when you insert your DVD disc improperly, have a corrupted disc or DVD drive, or your DVD drive driver goes outdated, your DVD will not be recognized/read, accordingly DVD failed to play on Mac. For that, you can repair or buy a new DVD drive, or reset NVRAM (or PRAM) via press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys to shut down your computer and turn on later.
- Possible Reason 2: DVD Player won't read DVD contents (not working).It probably hits a block when Mac DVD player to read a DVD encrypted with region code which is not matching region code of your DVD player or a scratched disc. Typical scenarioes come that you cannot play a UK DVD in USA or Japan, or an PAL disc cannot be played on a NTSC standard player. In this case, you can change the drive or DVD player region code. But it's pity that you can change it up to 5 times only before it's locked permanently.
How to fix 'Mac won't play DVD' error when your DVD player/drive cannot change region code? Rip DVDs to Digital Formats for Playing DVD on Any Media Players Instead of DVD Player Only. The Easiest Solution
Firstly, as DVD drive is dead on Mac computers, you have to buy an external DVD drive to play DVDs on Macbook/MacBook Pro/Air/iMac/iMac Pro etc. Even so, DVD playback failure happens from time to time on Mac and your DVD drive only allows 5 times for region code modification for playing DVDs of different region code. Rather than purchasing an extra DVD drive ($40 or so) for an limited and uncertain DVD playback on Mac, let's rip DVD to MP4, MOV or other video formats supported by Mac for watching without DVD drive/player.
WinX DVD Ripper for Mac, the leading DVD ripper for Mac available on macOS Mojave (32 bit & 64 bit) and lower versions, offers an easy yet effective solution for digitizing DVD of sorts, from latest released DVDs to dusty old discs. It updates weekly to make it powerful enough for DVD decryption, no matter the DVD is encrypted by region code, CSS, UOPs, Sony ArccOS, Disney 99-title DRM or some more advanced encryptions. Meanwhile, it won't take you long to make a digital copy of DVD. With the support of hardware acceleration powered by Intel QSV, NVIDIA NVENC, merely 5 minutes are needed to decrypt DVD to MP4, MOV, ISO image, MPG and other mainstram formats.
WinX DVD Ripper for Mac - Digitize Disc to MP4/MOV to Fix DVD Not Playing on Mac Issue
- 5 mins only to rip a full DVD with the support of GPU acceleration, multi-core CPU, hyper-threading.
- Rip various DVDs incl. new/old DVDs, damaged discs, region-locked and protected DVD with ease.
- Convert DVD to MP4, MOV, other formats accepted by QuickTime and 350+ profiles.
- Up to 100% orginal quality reserved for outputs, thanks to the built-in high quality engine.
- Easiest to operate: Load DVD - Choose format - Done! 3 steps only.
Download WinX DVD Ripper for Mac to rip DVD to Mac compatible formats.
Download WinX DVD Ripper for Windows to rip DVD to MP4, MOV, QuickTime etc.
Solution 2: Use Third-party DVD Player Software to Play DVDs on Mac
Instead of ripping DVD to MP4/MOV on Mac, you can opt for using third-party DVD player software for watching movies on Mac without DVD not playing problem.
5KPlayer, a versatile media player, allows users to play any regular and encrypted DVDs with great picture clarity. Apart from DVD discs, it can also play ISO image copied from DVD, VIDEO_TS folder and various video/audio files. The elegant and straightforward interface leads users to learn how to play a DVD/video/audio immediately. This best Mac DVD player is a 100% clean and safe program bundled no adware, malware or virus so that you don't need to worry about security problem at all.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping/copying copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Even if "Mac won't play DVD" error can be settled manually through buy another drive or resetting NVRAM, there is a possibility of resurgence in the near future. Comparatively speaking, ripping DVD to Mac is an easier, more convenient and more effective method to slove DVD not playing on Mac issue. For that, WinX DVD Ripper is absolutely the best and fastest DVD ripper to convert DVD disc to digital video as MP4, H.264, HEVC, MKV, AVI, WMV, MPEG, MOV, iPhone XS/XS Max/8/7/6S/6, iPad Air 2/Pro, Android, etc. Also it enables you to 1:1 copy DVD to ISO image/folder/MPEG-2 file with original quality by accessing all DVD protections.