Bypass DVD Region Code: Convert DVD to Region Free on PC/Mac
I travel a lot, so I bought many movies from other areas. Now my problem is that I can't change the region code on the DVD player after five changes. Can I remove the region code from my DVDs so that I can get rid of region errors when playing DVDs?
The region code on the DVD determines where you can play the disc. To play it, your DVD player must be set to the same region. That's why we can't play region 2 DVDs in the USA. Well, can we remove the region code from DVDs or can we bypass the DVD region code? This tutorial will show you how to change the DVD region code for the USA, Europe, Australia, Japan, etc. in either NTSC or PAL, and how to change the DVD region code.
WinX DVD Ripper - [100% free and safe] An all-region DVD converter for Windows (11/10) and Mac. It will remove region codes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and convert regional DVDs to region-free MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, FLV, 350+ profiles. Bypass DVD region codes, UOPs, RCE, Disney X-project DRM, Sony ARccOS, and other encryptions. Play regional DVDs on any DVD player without limits.
Table of Contents
Part 1. What is DVD Region Code?
DVD region code is a digital rights management technique used mainly by the distributors to control DVD content, release date, and price. It defeats many region-locked DVD drives and regular DVD players. When playing a region code encrypted DVD, the DVD player should be set to the same geographic area to make the DVD drive play the DVD encoded for that region. In other words, users should know the exact region and country of the DVD. Otherwise, you will get the wrong region error message.
But it is not the main concern. The limitation on DVD region changing times completely disappoints us. You can change the DVD region code on a DVD player or DVD drive a limited number of times (mostly 5) before it's permanently locked. You cannot change the DVD region after five attempts unless you reinstall Windows or use a different DVD drive.
Here is a list of DVD regions and their ranges of application (countries):
- Region 1 (R1): the U.S.A., U.S. Territories and Canada.
- Region 2 (R2): Europe, Japan, the Middle East, Egypt, South Africa, and Greenland.
- Region 3 (R3): Taiwan, Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong SAR, Macau.
- Region 4 (R4): Mexico, South and Central America, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Caribbean
- Region 5 (R5): Russia, Eastern Europe, India, Africa (excluding South Africa), North Korea, Mongolia
- Region 6 (R6): People's Republic of China, Hong Kong SAR
Note: If you try to play a DVD from one region in another, for example, a USA DVD in the UK, it will not play, and a "This disc is not formatted to play in this region" message will appear on the screen.
Part 2. How to Manually Change DVD Region on DVD Player, Windows, Mac, or PS4?
While you can't bypass the DVD region codes from DVD players and other hardware, there is an option to change the region code of the DVD drive to a matching code with the DVD, otherwise, you'll receive the wrong region error when playing DVDs. It makes it easy to watch a foreign movie DVD on a computer. Let's take a look at how to change the region protection on a DVD disc in Windows and Mac. In addition, we'll show you how to change the region code on your standalone DVD player and PS4.
1. How to change the DVD drive region code in Windows (11/10)
Step 1: Open File Explorer and find the DVD drive.
Step 2: Right-click the DVD drive and move to Properties.
Step 3: Click the Hardware tab and select the DVD drive. Hit the Properties button in the Device Properties panel.
Step 4: Click the DVD Region tab and select the region you want to change. Click OK.
2. How to Change the Region Code of a DVD Drive in a Mac
When you play a DVD for the first time on a Mac, the region code of the DVD drive on the Mac is automatically set. Once you insert a DVD with a region code that doesn't match the current DVD drive, it will ask you whether you want to change the region code. Learn more about how to change DVD drive region in macOS (Ventura)
3. How to change the region code on a DVD player
To change the region code on a standalone DVD player, try following these steps:
Step 1: Turn on your DVD player. Take your disc out of it.
Step 2: Then click the Start button and choose Control Panel. Find System and Maintenance and choose Device Manager.
Step 3: Next, press 3 1 4 1 5 9 on the remote control. After that, you should see CODE or FF on your TV screen. Now, you should enter the desired region code. For example, if you want to change your DVD player's region code to 0, just enter 0 on your remote.
Step 4: Press PAUSE again on the remote.
Step 5: Once you finish changing the DVD region code, turn off your DVD player.
4. How to change DVD region code on the PS4/PS5
Insert a DVD into the PS4 or PS5. If the DVD's region code is different from that of your PS4/PS5, it will pop up a message saying, "To play this DVD, change the DVD region code of the PS4." Now, just click "Next" to come to the screen where you can convert the DVD region code.
You can only change the DVD region code of a PC, Mac, DVD player, console, or other device 5 times. Once you reach the maximum change, the region code will be kept as the last code you set, even if you reinstall the operating system.
After 5 changes, you will need to replace the DVD/CDROM drive to get a new region code. However, you need to know that the replacement of the drive in your device is usually not covered under the warranty.
What if you have reached the 5 limits and don't want to replace the DVD drive to get a different region? You can convert the region code DVD to a video file with region code removal. There is no limit or extra cost. The detailed guide is below.
Part 3. How to Bypass DVD Region Code and Convert Regional DVDs to Region Free?
Ripping and copying regional DVDs is the best way to avoid resetting a PC's DVD drive's counter and to play foreign region-coded DVDs without limits. WinX DVD Ripper is the best free tool to make all DVDs region-free. In terms of DVD region code, it works in the following ways:
- Convert DVD to region free: WinX DVD Ripper circumvents all region code blocks and unlocks any regional DVD. It can decrypt regional-playback control (RPC), Region-code Enhanced (RCE), UOPs, RCE, Disney X-project DRM, and other encryptions.
- Change region codes on DVD: Acting like a region code changer, it changes regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 to region 0. The output file becomes region free and playback of the converted file is easier than ever without needing to consider region issues.
- Convert regional DVDs to MP4: more than just a region code remover. WinX DVD Ripper can convert region-locked DVDs to AVI, MP4, H.264, HEVC, MPEG, WMV, MOV, etc. DVD owners can transfer the regional movies onto a memory stick, hard drive, USB flash drive, or even play DVD videos on Android, iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP, and more.
How to Remove DVD Region Codes without Resetting DVD Drive's Counter?
Warm-up: Download and install the DVD region converter on your Windows (11/10) PC or Mac.
Step 1: Insert a region 1/2/3/4/5/6 DVD into your DVD-ROM, launch the software, and click the "DVD Disc" button. Alternatively, you can input an ISO image or DVD folder. It will remove the DVD region codes or other copy protections and find the main movie title automatically.
Step 2: Choose an output format according to your needs. It's a good way to convert regional DVDs to MP4 for playback on mobile devices, laptops, TVs, etc.
The DVD region converter has 350+ built-in profiles, so you can convert the region code DVD to general mobile/tablet video, PC video or Mac video. You can also try the main title content copy, which is one of the fastest solutions to copy and save the region (2) DVD with selected audio/video tracks as an MPEG2 digital file without quality loss on image and sound.
Step 3: Change the Destination Folder to an easy-to-find folder on your computer. If you select to convert the DVD to region-free ISO image or MPG format, make sure the output folder has enough free space. Try to avoid saving it on Disk C.
Step 4: Hit the RUN button and start to convert the region code DVD. Once finished, the DVD video is totally region free and you can play it on any device without resetting the region codes.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate converting region-locked DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your country before doing so.
[YouTube Video Tutorial] How to Convert Region Code DVDs
Part 4. How to Unlock DVD Region Code
You can also convert the DVD region code of your DVD player to region-free by using region hacks. If someone has shared a region hack for your DVD player, you can then try to remove the region codes of your DVD player. People usually share region hacks on forums such as Videohelp. The region hacks and processes are different based on DVD players from different manufacturers and models. Below we share the steps to convert the DVD region code to the universal region on LG BP250.
- Download the LG-Multi-Region.ZIP file from https://www.avforums.com/threads/make-lg-bp125-dvd-player-region-free.1717812/page-4#post-26159056
- Extract the image file "LG-Multi-Region.iso" from the Zip Archive and burn the file to CDR.
- Insert the burned disc into your LG BD250 and turn the DVD player off and on. Then you will see a black screen with blue borders appear with text: Region Management Test Mode.
- Now you can press the new region number(0-6) on your remote to change the DVD region code. You're suggested to press 0 and convert the DVD region code to region-free. Then PRESS the PAUSE key to exit.
For more tips on how to bypass a DVD player's region codes, check here.
Not all DVD players can be hacked. You may need to wait until an owner of your DVD player finds and shares a region hack.
Part 5. Frequently Asked Questions about Region Code
1. How can I find the region code on a DVD?
The region code number is usually printed over a small globe icon on the back of the individual DVD packaging and on the disc itself. Informal term meaning "playable in all regions". Region 0 discs will play on any DVD player.
2. Can I watch region 2 DVDs in the USA?
No. Region 2 DVDs can only be played in Europe and other countries that are in region 2, while the USA is in region 1 and can only play a DVD designated region 2 or region 0. If you need to watch a region 2 DVD in the USA, you can change your DVD drive's region code or digitize the DVD.
3. Can I convert region 2 DVD to region 1?
Yes. DVD region code converter programs such as WinX DVD Ripper Platinum can remove region code 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 from the digital copies. You can play region 2 DVDs on region 1 DVD players freely. The region code protection method on physical discs is reserved.
4. Are there any DVD players that will play all regions?
Yes. If you don't want to convert region-coded DVDs to region-free files, you can rely on multi-region DVDs to play DVDs from different countries. A region-free DVD player can range in price from $30.00 to several hundred dollars.