Q 1: I choose the popular free Handbrake to convert my dozens of MKV files to MP4. Can Handbrake convert MKV to MP4 format with original quality? I'm wondering what are the best settings should I set for the conversion.
Q 2: I use Handbrake to convert MKV to MP4. I import the MKV video to Handbrake and choose MP4 as output, as well as choose the output resolution as the original video. However, the output video is really screwed up.
For Windows and Mac only. If you are a mobile user, please click here.
1. Handbrake is a video transcoder but not a video passthrough tool. That is to say, when you use Handbrake to convert MKV to MP4 container, Handbrake will decode and re-encode the video, but don't allow for original copy of video content. And this may cause some quality loss.
2. Best settings to convert MKV to MP4 for free with Handbrake. Supposing that you are a loyal fan of Handbrake and decide to use Handbrake to re-encode the video, then how can you retain almost the same quality as the original? You can choose "Constant Quality" and set the CRF value to 18 or 19. This is not a lossless conversion, but the difference is small.
3. Do you really need to remux MKV to MP4 or convert MKV to MP4? Since Handbrake don't support changing container from MKV to MP4 with intact quality, you may also turn to a powerful Handbrake alternative like VideoProc to copy the video and audio streams without quality loss. Using VideoProc to wrap the content from MKV to MP4 container is also fast enough.
4. Handbrake is a free video converter, but it only provides two output video containers: MP4, MKV. You cannot use it to convert MKV or MP4 to other formats. It also doesn't support batching converting video files.
Handbrake released the newest version 1.2.0 on Dec. 22, 2018. The latest version of Handbrake adds AMD VCE, Nvidia NVENC, and Apple VideoToolbox hardware-accelerated video encoding tech, and we hope this will offer us a much faster video converting speed.
You can go to Handbrake official site to download its latest version. Install and launch Handbrake, and follow the steps below to easily convert MKV to MP4 format for free without much quality loss.
Handbrake is a cross-platform video transcoder. The supported operating platforms include: Windows 7-10 (64 bit), macOS 10.10 Yosemite and later (Intel 64bit), Linux. If your computer is running on a 32 bit Windows computer, you can't use Handbrake, please turn to other video converters.
Step 1. Load source MKV video or folder
Click "Source" button to select and open a single MKV file or a folder with one /more MKV video files.
Click "Browse" button to set a destination folder to store the converted file.
Step 2. Choose MP4 as output and set video quality
Next you can choose MP4 container as the output and then tap "Video" icon under "Output Settings".
Select one preferred output video codec like H.264 (x264). If your computer supports Nvidia NVENC, Intel QSV hardware acceleration, you can also choose H.264/H.265 (Intel QSV/Nvidia NVEnc) encoder to encode the output MP4 video, to see if it will be faster in video encoding process.
MP4 container supported video/audio codecs are H.264/H.265/MPEG-4 and AAC/AC3.
MKV container supported video/audio codecs are H.264/H.265 (AAC), VP9/VP8 (Vorbis).
If you want to make the quality seem to be the same as the original, try to set CRF at a lower value like 18/19, and choose "High" in Encoder Profile. But the output file size may be bigger as well.
Step 3. Start converting MKV to MP4 for free
Finally you can click "Start Encode" button to start to convert MKV to MP4 without much quality loss for free with Handbrake.
If it still doesn't work well for you and Handbrake outputs poor quality in converting MKV to MP4, you may try an alternative tool to Handbrake – VideoProc – to pass through the video content from MKV to MP4 container without quality loss.
VideoProc equips an "Auto Copy" function. Neither the video nor the audio needs re-encoding. This will be super fast and will retain 1:1 video and audio quality in your MKV to MP4 conversion.
9 Key Features of VideoProc
1. Convert: You can use VideoProc to substitute Handbrake to convert MKV to MP4 with original quality. VideoProc can convert almost any video to any preferred target format. Its output profile is not just limited to MKV or MP4 container, but extends to hundreds of popular video formats and device profiles.
2. Edit: This best Handbrake alternative also allows you to cut, merge, trim, split, rotate, flip, stabilize, denoise video. You can also add effects, remove fisheye distortion, create GIF, change video playback speed, etc.
3. Compress: VideoProc also lets you freely adjust video resolution, frame rate, bit rate, aspect ratio, audio sample rate, etc. to get desired results and to meet devices playback or online sites upload requirements. You can use it to compress 4K to 1080p without noticeable quality loss.
4. Download: To download online videos, movies, music for offline playback, VideoProc is a great helper. It enables you to download 8K/4K/1080p/720p videos, MP3 songs from YouTube and 1000+ sites.
5. Convert DVD: You can use VideoProc to convert any (copy-protected) DVD to MP4 and more while Handbrake can't defeat copy protection of any kind.
6. Record screen: VideoProc can record every movement on your computer or iPhone/iPad screen. Therefore, you may use it to record gameplay or instruction tutorials.
7. Record webcam: Support recording video from webcam. Green Screen Key function is supported.
8. Hardware acceleration: Fully utilize Nvidia NVENC/CUDA, Intel QSV, and AMD hardware acceleration to quicken the MKV to MP4 conversion process at most.
9. Clean program: VideoProc is a solid, stand-alone, clean desktop video tool, with no ads or malware at all.
You can free download and install VideoProc on Windows 10/8/7 (32 bit or 64 bit), or macOS 10.6 and later. The following guide will tell how to use VideoProc to fast convert MKV to MP4 with original quality.
Step 1. Launch VideoProc and click "Video". Then click "+Video" button to load source MKV video file. You can add several MKV files to convert in batch later.
Step 2. In the Target Format column, choose MP4 H.264 as output format.
Step 3. Tick "Auto Copy" and "Nvidia/Intel/AMD" hardware acceleration engine. Then hit "RUN" to convert MKV to MP4 with original quality at lightning speed.
Beatrice Green is a creative copywriter & marketer with 4-year work experience in Digiarty, professional in delivering thoughtful guides, tips or news related to DVD/video conversion/edit issues, latest hot movies, music, digital devices, tech events, and more.