User Guide - How Can I Rip a DVD for Free
WinX Free DVD Ripper makes even intractable DVD digitizing work as easy as 3 clicks away. It is 100% safe, clean to install and a good DVD storage idea, sparing you from the hazard of virus infection or malware introsion and risk of damaging DVDs.
Step 1: Launch the freeware on your Windows (10/8/7), load DVD, ISO image or DVD folder as per your needs. WinXDVD will auto choose the right title in seconds.
Step 2: Select the output formats from the Output Profile window.
Step 3: Click Browse button to specify the destination folder where you want to save your ripped file. Press RUN button to begin the DVD conversion. The whole processing will be finished in the least amount of time due to the full hardware acceleration technology.
FAQ about DVD Ripping
What's the Best Format for Storing/Playing Digital Movies?
- For lossless DVD copy, go to "DVD Backup", choose to clone DVD to ISO image or backup main/full title to MPEG2. This will keep video and audio the same as original.
- For high-quality movie playback, you can choose MP4 H.264 as the output format. MP4 is known for the best balance between image quality and file size, and is compatible with most mobile devices, gaming systems, TVs, laptops, media players and storage gadgets such as USB and NAS.
Should I Convert "DVD to MP4" or "DVD to AVI"?
In the case of backing up a DVD, many people may hesitate whether to choose MP4 or AVI as the output format. Which of the two is the best video format for DVD ripping?
AVI is an old video file format developed by Microsoft. Its greatest strength is the capability of holding a majority of video and audio formats. For example, AVI file can contain H.264, MPEG-2, MP3 or AAC. This is why this format is so popular. In this day and age when video formats are prevalent, however, AVI has vital weaknesses:
1. The file size of AVI video is comparatively large. A 60-minute AVI video can reach 25 GB file size.
2. AVI does not support HEVC codec that is for higher quality video and better compression rates.
3. AVI can only contain one video and audio track, and cannot contain subtitle.
4. It is not acceptable by many portable devices such as iPhone and Android, and not supportable by Apple Mac either.
The Advantages of MP4:
As a file format, MP4 is the most popular video file format nowadays. It can be played on Windows, Mac, iPhone and Android platforms, game consoles, and HDTVs. Ripping DVD to MP4 is the best choice because MP4 has overcome all the weaknesses in AVI format. Generally, MP4 accepts widely supported video codecs including MPEG4, H.264 and HEVC (saving about half the size of H.264 / AVC), together with an audio Codec - AAC (2 Channel - 8 Channel), MP3. MP4 file format can be supported by almost all players, such as free 5KPlayer, Windows (10) Media Player, VLC, MPC-HC, and MPlayer. Therefore, to rip a DVD to MP4 is a wiser choice than to rip DVD to AVI.