How to Free Rip DVD to USB(-C) Flash Drive with WinX DVD Ripper?
"I have a number of old TV series discs that I want to convert the DVDs to USB drive so I can play them on my Android tablet and TV during my trip"
"My company evaluates used boats and we record the boat by DVD but now we would like to convert the DVD to a USB Flash Drive for our clients"
Ripping DVD to USB flash drive is for more convenient DVD playback and management. If you transfer DVD to USB drive, you can play DVD content anywhere anytime without carrying DVD drive or space-consuming DVD discs around. Since USBs nowadays have larger storage capacities at lower prices, it's easy to get a USB flash drive from SanDisk, Kingston, Sony, Toshiba, Seagate, or other brands with 256GB, 512GB and even 1TB.
So why not convert DVDs to digital files and transfer tons of DVD movies to solid USB thumb drives? It'll save a huge amount of cubic room in the house and take movie collections with us! Here are simple ways to do so.
Table of Contents:
Part 1: How to Copy DVD onto USB Directly
How can you copy a DVD to a USB stick? Actually, you're allowed to directly copy the DVD files and drag the content to USB if your DVD is not copy protected. It's pretty easy.
- Step 1. Insert the DVD into the disk drive and a USB into the USB port.
- Step 2. Double-click the DVD drive. Find and copy all of the DVD's contents and files like ISO image or DVD folder.
- Step 3. Open the USB drive, then copy and paste DVD files to the USB drive.
- Your USB drive should have enough storage (a DVD contains around 4.5GB).
- Copying a DVD to USB drive may be easy, but the playback may be not. Some players can't open the DVD folder, ISO image or other DVD media.
- The above method applies to non-protected DVDs only. In fact, there are various encryptions imposed on a DVD to prevent you from copying a DVD to USB or other storages directly. When you move a protected DVD to the USB flash drive via the way above, you will find the DVD empty, the files corrupted, or unplayable...
If you want to transfer protected DVDs to USB sticks in any formats with smaller size, you need a DVD ripper. Below we share an effective way to free rip DVD to USB drive.
Part 2: How to Copy Protected DVD to USB with Free DVD Ripper
A DVD ripper is all that we need to put a DVD movie to USB. We can easily google out tons of such kinds of tools, free and paid, clean and ad-supported. For example, you can rip DVDs with VLC, Handbrake, MakeMKV, DVD Shrink, and Freemake Video Converter. But as far as DVD protection is concerned, you need a stronger DVD to USB converter.
WinX DVD Ripper is a free DVD to USB converter to convert DVD to USB flash drives (-C) within simple clicks. It's able to:
- Rip home-made and copy-protected DVDs with common protections like CSS, Region codes, RCE, etc.
- Copy DVD to a USB stick in ISO image, Video_ TS folder, MPG in 1:1 ratio.
- Convert DVD to USB drive in MP4 with 80% smaller size and 98% quality, save DVD in WMV, MPEG, MOV, FLV etc.
- Fulfil DVD to USB copy at 5x faster speed due to Intel QSV/NVIDIA CUDA/NVENC hardware acceleration, Multi-core CPU, Hyper-threading Technology and Super Encode Engine based on MMX-SSE & 3DNow.
How to Rip DVD to USB(-C) Drive with Free DVD Ripper
Below is the guide to free rip DVD to USB drive with WinX DVD Ripper. First, free download and install this DVD ripping program.
Step 1: Insert the DVD you need to rip to USB drive.
Run the free DVD ripping software, then insert the target DVD disc to your DVD-ROM. Click the "DVD Disc" button to load the DVD. You can also import the DVD folder, DVD ISO image from your computer hard drive.
Step 2: Select an output format.
You can save files in any format to the USB flash drive. Below are some best settings:
1. If you want to copy DVDs in 1:1 to USB drive without quality loss, rip DVD to ISO image file or DVD main/full title backup in "DVD Backup" mode. This mode allows you to copy DVDs to computer with 100% quality maintained. But you should know that the ISO image/video_TS folder will take quite a large size.
2. If you want to copy DVDs to USB to play on TV, computer and desktop or other devices, select MP4 for its wide compatibility, good quality and small file size.
Step 3: Set your USB drive as the output folder.
Plug your USB drive into the computer, then hit "Browse" button and select a folder in the USB flash drive for the DVD converted file.
Step 4: Let's get it started.
You can adjust the subtitles, audio tracks, edit, etc. After that, hit the big "RUN" button to start the rip. A few minutes later, you will get the digital DVD video and transfer the DVDs to the USB flash drive.
Video Tutorial on How to Copy DVD to USB Drive with WinX DVD Ripper
What If WinX DVD Ripper Fails to Access New Protected DVDs?
WinX DVD Ripper is capable of converting some DVDs to parts of common video formats. But in case the DVD cannot be ripped with free WinX DVD Ripper, please come round to use the advanced edition – WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, which is good at ripping any DVDs, even the latest and strongly encrypted 99-title DVDs, workout and alike released by Disney, Paramount, Warner Bros., etc.
In addition, the Platinum version is able to convert DVD to 350+ format & device profiles, as well as doing 1:1 copy DVD to ISO image/DVD Folder/MPEG2. Thanks to hardware acceleration and advanced DVD decryption technology, this DVD ripper has become the strongest and fastest one in the market and will always be the 1st to support new DVDs. Please free download to have a try.
Please DO NOT use WinX DVD Ripper to rip rental DVDs.
Tips: If you want to copy a DVD onto a USB flash drive and play it just as it would from the DVD, i.e. a Menu displays and then you click in the relevant heading in the Menu, say, Play All, Play selected items, and so forth, chose "Clone DVD disc to ISO image" or "Clone DVD to folder" under DVD Backup category to copy DVD while preserving all Menus, Subtitles & Languages. | WinX DVD Ripper Platinum User Guide
Part 3: FAQ on DVD to USB Rip
1. Are there any other DVD to USB services available?
For those who don't want to install a third-party program, there are online services to help. Search on Google, there are a lot of options. Take the first DVD to USB transfer as an example, it can save DVD videos on a USB stick in MP4 format. You can either buy the USB from it or use your own USB. It takes $15 to convert a DVD, which is expensive. And you will have to wait for the shipping. Other services are similar and most of them charge you per DVD.
2. How many GB is a DVD movie?
Movies of up to 2 hours at DVD quality are usually 4.7GB. However, DVD movies longer than 120 minutes come in 8.5GB DVD-9.
3. What USB flash drive capacity do you need to save your DVD collections?
It depends on how many DVDs you want to transfer to the USB and what settings you choose. If you simply need to make digital copies of your DVD collections to USB drives with exact same quality & data, you may convert DVD to ISO image, which will be as large as the DVD movie. Then you may need a USB stick with a larger capacity sooner.
If you convert DVD to MP4, a DVD can be shrunk to 1~2GBs. WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is able to reduce 80% of the original DVD size. That means, a 4.7GB DVD can be ripped to a movie at ~700MB. A 256GB flash drive at about $35 can store 300+ DVD movies. Detailed DVD backup guide >>
4. How to convert a flash drive to a DVD?
If you want to go the opposite way to transfer video to DVD from USB, iPhone, Android, other devices, you will need a DVD burning program for the task. WinX DVD Author is a free application that will easily burn MP4, MKV, AVI, VOB, FLV, MOV, ISO and other videos from your USB drive to DVD disc.
Related External Source from Wiki:
DVD - A digital optical disc storage format which can store any kind of digital data. It is widely used for software and video applications watched using DVD players...
USB Flash Drive - A USB flash drive, also variously known as a USB drive, USB stick, thumb drive, pen drive, flash-disk, or USB memory, is a data storage device that includes flash memory with an integrated USB interface...
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping/copying copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.