How to Convert AVI to MP4 for Free on Windows (10), Mac, and Linux
AVI is a widely used multimedia container format, but it needs to be converted to MP4 in many cases. Firstly, compared with the same-length AVI, MP4 yields much smaller file size, taking up lesser storage on your PC. Then, MP4 is far more acceptable to mainstream smart devices. Once your AVI file is changed to MP4, you can move and enjoy it on your iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac, TV, etc. Also, you can share it to friends/family by uploading to YouTube or sending via Facebook, WhatsApp and email. Well, how can we convert AVI to MP4? In this article, we'll introduce 5 most popular ways to convert AVI to MP4.
Table of Contents
- Method 1. Convert AVI to MP4 with WinX
- Method 2. Convert AVI to MP4 Online for Free
- Method 3. Convert AVI to MP4 with Free HandBrake
- Method 4. Convert AVI to MP4 for Free with VLC
- Method 5. Convert AVI to MP4 with FFmpeg
Part 1. Best 5 Ways to Convert AVI to MP4 on Windows, Mac, and Linux
Method 1. Convert AVI to MP4 withWinX Free Video Converter
Video Converter from WinXDVD Software is chosen as the best free AVI to MP4 converter for Windows (10) and Mac for the following features:
- Supporting more than 320 video codecs and 50 audio codecs, it can convert any AVI video files no matter what codecs they use.
- It converts AVI to MP4 without limits on file size and daily conversion times. You can convert large AVI files even over 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, to MP4 as many times as you like.
- There are many MP4 presets to choose to meet different user needs. It can convert AVI to MP4 with H.264, HEVC, MPEG4 as video codec format.
- In addition to converting AVI to MP4, it can do other conversion jobs, such as AVI to MOV, MOV to MP4, MKV to MP4, MP4 to AVI, and MP4 to MP3.
- Besides changing file format, it can also compress and edit videos, and set codec and quality.
- With the support for hardware acceleration and High Quality Engine, it finishes video conversion quickly while reserving the maximum original video quality.
You can free download this tool to try converting AVI to MP4 following the guide below.
Step 1. Launch WinX and click "+Video" to load the AVI file you want to convert.
Step 2. When Output Profile window pops up, choose MP4 as the output format. You can find MP4 preset under "General Profiles", "PC General Video", "Apple Device", "Android Mobile", "YouTube Video", and other categories. Then click "OK" to move on.
Step 3. Specify a destination folder to save the converted file and press RUN button to start converting AVI to MP4.
As the following picture shows, the file size has been reduced about 65% after transcoding from AVI to MP4 HEVC.
Video Tutorial: How to Convert AVI to MP4
Method 2. Convert AVI to MP4 Online for Free
Some people don't want to install desktop-based software, and want to use online AVI to MP4 converter instead. Popular online tools that support AVI to MP4 conversion include:
- cloudconvert AVI to MP4 Converter (Note: You can't convert AVI files larger than 1GB and are limited to convert up to 25 conversions per day without buying a package.)
- FreeConvert AVI to MP4 Converter (Note: You can't convert AVI files larger than 1GB and are limited to convert up to 25 conversions per day without signing up.)
- ZAMZAR (Note: A free Zamzar account can't convert AVI files larger than 50mb and is limited to convert 2 files only per day.)
- Convertio (Note: A free account can't convert AVI files larger than 100mb.)
I have checked quite a lot of online AVI to MP4 converters and none of them allow you to convert a file larger than 1GB for free. To convert large AVI files to MP4, you need to pay for a plan.
Here we'll take cloudconvert as an example to show you how to convert AVI to MP4 online for free.
Step 1. Open a web browser on your Windows, Mac, or Linux powered computer and then visit cloudconvert AVI to MP4 Converter.
Step 2. Click Select File button to choose the AVI file you want to convert to MP4.
Step 3. Hit Download button. Then wait for AVI file uploading and converting. Online tools always take much longer time to finish this step than desktop program. Once done, click the Download button to save the MP4 file to local drive.
Method 3. Convert AVI to MP4 with Free HandBrake
HandBrake is a popular video transcoder because it is free to use and doesn't set limits on file size and daily or monthly conversion times. It allows users to convert AVI with Xvid/DivX codec to MP4 with H.264, H.265, MPEG2, and MPEG4. The current version 1.4.2 can be used on Windows 10 and later, macOS 10.12 and later, and Linux.
To convert AVI to MP4 with HandBrake, just follow the steps below.
Step 1. Open HandBrake and click File button to browse and open the AVI file you want to convert to MP4.
Step 2. Choose output preset and set output format as MP4. You can click Video tab -> Video Codec and choose desired codec format.
Step 3. Click Browse button to choose a save path and give a name for the resulting MP4 file.
Step 4. Click Start Encode button to begin converting AVI to MP4.
Method 4. Convert AVI to MP4 for Free with VLC
VLC is not only a free media player, but also a free video converter for Windows (10), Mac, and Linux. It can convert videos including AVI to MP4, H.264, H.265, MKV, MOV, WMV, WebM, MP3, and more media formats.
Step 1. Open VLC media player, click Media -> Convert / Save.
Step 2. Click + Add button to select the AVI file you want to convert to MP4 and then click the Convert / Save button at the bottom.
Step 3. Click the drop down menu of Profile and choose Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4) or Video – H.265 + MP3 (MP4).
Step 4. Click the Browse button to specify a folder to store the output file.
Step 5. Click Start button to start AVI to MP4 conversion.
Method 5. Convert AVI to MP4 with FFmpeg
FFmpeg is a free and open source software project composing of a series of components including ffmpeg, ffplay, ffprobe, libavcodec and more for handling multimedia files and streams. It is a complete solution to record, convert and stream audio and video. To convert video, such as AVI to MP4, we need to use ffmpeg command-line tool.
Well, how to convert AVI to MP4 with FFmpeg?
Step 1. Download and install FFmpeg on your computer. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Step 2. Open FFmpeg and enter command line to convert AVI to MP4.
If you want to convert AVI to MP4 without re-encoding, just run the following FFmpeg command:
ffmpeg -i input_filename.avi -c:v copy -c:a copy -y output_filename.mp4
In this commandline, you need to:
- Provide the AVI video you want to convert as input
- Specify the name of the output MP4 file
- Instruct FFmpeg to directly copy the audio and video (seen here: -c:v copy -c:a copy) from the AVI container format to the MP4 container format.
If you need to re-encode your AVI file, such as change the video codec format to hevc, you should use this commandline:
ffmpeg -i input_filename.avi -c:v hevc -c:a copy -y output_filename.mp4
Part 2. Among Those AVI to MP4 Converters, Which Is the Best for You?
Below we have listed the pros and cons of each free AVI to MP4 converter we introduce in this article. This table may help you make a decision.
AVI to MP4 converter
▪ It can read any AVI file without limits on file size, codec format, and resolution.
▪ It supports multiple advanced technologies to guarantee converting speed and output quality.
▪ It provides a lot of MP4 presets to address different user needs.
▪ It is an all-in-one tool to convert, compress, edit, customize and download videos.
▪ It features a straightforward interface. It is easy to use for beginners.
▪ Users need to download and install software.
▪ It isn't compatible with Linux.
Free Online AVI to MP4 Converter
▪ Such kind of tool doesn't require downloading any software on your device to perform video conversion.
▪ Online tools can be accessed from any system.
▪ Web-based tools always have maximum file size limits. To process bigger files, users need to pay for an advanced version.
▪ They require internet connection to upload, convert, and download file, thus usually slower than desktop software.
▪ Compare with desktop programs, online tools provide fewer features to customize your files.
▪ There may be ads.
▪ It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.
▪ It comes with a dozen of presets.
▪ It provides quite a lot of options to customize video.
▪ Many options are hard to understand for non-tech-savvy users.
▪ It is multi-platform.
▪ It can play, convert, stream, and download videos.
▪ It lacks video editing capabilities.
▪ It is a cross-platform tool.
▪ It is a powerful multimedia processing toolbox.
▪ Command line tool is a little difficult to use for beginners.
Part 3. FAQs about AVI to MP4
Is AVI better than MP4?
Both AVI and MP4 are container formats supporting different video and audio formats and compression types. Both AVI and MP4 have their advantages and disadvantages.
Pros and cons of AVI: AVI is an uncompressed video format and will retain original quality of the video stored in this format. However, this also means that the file size of an AVI file is very large. Another disadvantage is that AVI doesn’t support menus or streaming. To sum up, AVI is a good format for storing and editing video, but a bad choice for distributing video via the Internet or physical media.
Pros and cons of MP4: Contrary to AVI, MP4 supports compression, subtitles, multiple data types and streaming. It makes file smaller without sacrificing too much quality. It is usually chosen as the best format for recording and streaming.
For more differences between AVI and MP4, read "AVI vs MP4 quality, size and compatibility".
How to convert AVI to MP4 on Mac?
All of the AVI to MP4 converters introduced above can work on Mac. So just download and install the Mac version to perform AVI to MP4 conversions. The steps are similar to those on Windows edition.
How can I convert AVI to MP4 without losing quality?
To change video format from AVI to MP4 without quality loss, you should keep the original codec, resolution, bitrate, and other parameters. WinX can do the remuxing job with Auto Copy option checked.
How to reduce the size of an AVI file?
There are many ways to reduce AVI video file:
- Re-encode AVI to a format which has great compression, such as HEVC.
- Lower the resolution, bitrate, etc.
- Cut and crop your AVI file.
All these features are available on WinX.
How can I convert AVI to MP4 with H.264 codec?
H.264 codec is a widely accepted video codec format, so many users want to convert AVI to MP4 with H.264 codec. WinX is designed with many H.264-encoded MP4 presets. You can give it a try to convert AVI to MP4 H.264.
How can I convert large AVI files to MP4?
As we mentioned above, free online AVI to MP4 converters put limits on maximum file size. If you want to deal with large AVI files, you have to pay for the services.
To convert large AVI files to MP4 for free, you can use WinX, HandBrake, VLC, or FFmpeg.