Rip DVD VOB to MP4 with HandBrake No Aspect Ratio Distorted Issue
The following is one case about the output aspect ratio when using Handbrake to rip DVD VOB to MP4 format:
"I am not masterful at using Handbrake so I don't know much about it yet. I've ripped 720x480 VOBs using DVD Decrypter and I'm now trying to convert these huge VOBs into more size-friendly MP4s. However, when I check "Keep Aspect Ratio", it locks the dimensions to 720x304."
Three solutions to this problem - Handbrake rips DVD VOB to MP4 with distorted aspect ratio - are offered below.
Best Way to Solve Distorted Aspect Ratio in DVD VOB to MP4 Ripping
Use best HandBrake alternative - WinX DVD Ripper Platinum [Strongest and Fastest DVD Ripper]
- Rip DVD VOB files in VIDEO_TS folder to MP4 with original aspect ratio kept, no change to original settings.
- Rip home-made & commercial DVDs encrypted by CSS, region code, RCE, UOP, Sony ArccOS, Disney DRM, etc.
- Rip DVD disc/VIDEO_TS folder/ISO to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, AVCHD, FLV, MKV, iPhone iPad, Android, PS5, Xbox, etc.
Jump to the part you need:
- Part 1. How to Solve Handbrake Aspect Ratio Distorted Problem in Converting VOB to MP4
- Part 2. How to Rip DVD VOB to MP4 without Distorted Aspect Ratio with HandBrake Alternative
Part 1. How to Solve Handbrake Aspect Ratio Distorted Problem in Converting VOB to MP4
Solution 1: Modify Anamorphic Setting
Change your settings from "Anamorphic: None" to "Anamorphic: Strict". Then the output video will strictly follow with the original file size. If the output resolution still has problem, the trouble-maker may be DVD Decrypter.
Solution 2: Manually Set Frame Size as Original
When encoding from DVD or a VIDEO_TS folder, Handbrake would spot the mismatch (2.37:1 stream vs. 1.78:1 container) and would defer to the container's setting. If you use "Anamorphic: None", disable "Keep Aspect Ratio" (since the reported PAR is wrong) and manually set the frame size to 720x480.
Solution 3: Get a HandBrake Alternative (High Recommended)
Whenever you feel curious and want to try Handbrake alternative, then Google "best Handbrake alternative", and WinX DVD Ripper Platinum will be the answer. This versatile DVD ripping software is available to rip VOB files in DVD VIDEO_TS folder to high-quality MP4 AVI and other popular formats (MOV, WMV, FLV, 3GP etc.) without distorting aspect ratio. Additionally, it also allows you to change aspect ratio and other parameters freely according to you needs and edit videos by trimming, cropping, etc.
Part 2. How to Rip DVD VOB to MP4 without Distorted Aspect Ratio with HandBrake Alternative
In the following, let's learn how to use this best HandBrake alternative - WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to convert DVD VOB to MP4 while remaining original aspect ratio without distorting issue. Above all, we should download and install this HandBrake alternative on our computer.
Step 1. Launch WinX DVD Ripper Platinum and next click + Folder button to import VIDEO_TS folder which stores DVD VOB files into this program.
Step 2. After Output Profile window pops up, select MP4 Video (Codec: h264+aac, Resolution: keep origin) under General Profiles category as output with original aspect ratio.
Step 3. Click RUN button to start converting DVD VOB files to MP4.
Tip: If necessary, you can click Edit button to crop image for manually aspect ratio setting. Otherwise, you can directly go to setting panel to modify aspect ratio.
Other HandBrake Errors and Fixes
- Handbrake Error Message: "No Titles Found" - Learn how to solve - when i click on the source of the dvd i get an error saying "no titles found. please make sure you have selected a valid non copy protected source".
- Some of DVDs Handbrake only Rip Half Way - Learn how to solve - Some of my dvds only rip half way. Does anyone know what my problem might be.
- HandBrake "Error Opening" when Finished - Learn how to solve - sometimes, handbrake never seems to finish compressing a dvd. it just stays at 100%, eta 000000.
- HandBrake Crashes before Finishing - Learn how to solve - Before HandBrake finishes a rip of a relatively long title, like say 20+ minutes, it crashes right as it gets at the finish, and as a result the rip is corrupted.
- HandBrake Convert AVI to MP4 Problem - Learn how to solve - trying to convert some avi files into mp4 files using handbrake, selected the apple presets, the process starts then after a minute or so it crashes.