The Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard free container format, a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks inside a single file. It natively supports features like alternate audio tracks, multilingual subtitles and chapter points, as well as rich metadata authoring including cover art, ratings, descriptions and more.
MKV supports multiple video/audio codecs. Perhaps the MKV video you download from internet contains different codecs, which therefore led to the need to download a best free MKV player, directing at this powerful container format. Let's find out which is the best MKV player for Windows(7/8/10).
★★★★★ Rating: 5
OS: Windows & Mac
5KPlayer is a free .mkv player. This MKV video player is made for bringing you an user-friendly and customer-oriented Matroska video playback solution. With easy to use interface, you can easily play MKV movie videos no matter you are an experienced software master or not. Tremendous video playback capacity allows you not only play MKV files, but also other videos with large-scale formats, such as M2TS, AVCHD, MOD, H.264, MPEG-4, AVI, MOV, WMV, FLV, etc. This free MKV video player can make more effective use of your computer resource.
100% clean and safe free MKV video player to play MKV files and also MTS, M2TS, AVCHD, MKV, MOD videos on your Windows (10) computer smoothly & clearly!
For Windows and Mac only. If you are a mobile user, please click here.
Besides, 5KPlayer also features sorts of additional functions, such as playing lossy/lossless music, playing any DVD sources, free downloading videos songs from 300+ video sites, and steaming MKV videos audios for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc.
★★★★☆ Rating: 4.5
OS: Windows, Mac & more
With the VLC player you are actually getting two things: a fine MKV video player with full compatibility with Matroska, and support for most video and audio streams you will find in an .MKV file. This means that you most likely will not have to install any extra codecs or filters, depending on what your streams are. Besides, choose VLC as your .mkv player, you can organize and operate MKV video's multiple video/audio/subtitle tracks in a decent way.
Somehow, VLC Player lacks user friendly interface, and though armed with advanced features but it is just too complicated to handle with them. And once you drag MKV video into a VLC playlist, it cannot change position on the list. By the way, VLC does not willingly accept Blu-ray Disc and rm video which is also to some extent disappointing.
★★★★ Rating: 4
OS: Windows & Mac
DivX Plus Player not just play MKV video files back, but play it in a good way. There are some enhanced MKV playback features to DivX Plus Player like: supports up to 8 MKV multiple subtitles and audio tracks, offers smooth fast-forward and rewind MKV playing process and auto-generated MKV chapters.
Unfortunately DivX Plus Player is a commercial software which means not free available for users. And as a MKV video player under the old label, it sometimes need to consider about adding Blu-ray video playback function, which gives a larger range of MKV media playing options (since some of MKV video file contains in Blu-ray Disc).
Comparison of The Best 3 MKV Players for PC/Mac
★ Supported OS: Windows, Mac
VLC Media Player
★ Supported OS: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Windows Mobile
DivX Plus Player
★ Supported OS: Windows only
1. Free MKV player to play MKV movies or videos on Windows (10) and Mac (macOS High Sierra);
2. Play other HD videos like M2TS, AVCHD, etc, SD videos like MP4, AVI, MOV, M4V, WMV, as well as audio files in MP3, WAV, FLAC, etc.;
3. Free downloading videos/movies/music from 300+ video sites including YouTube;
4. Free streaming video audio for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc. with the built-in feature;
5. Also play radio from BBC, Heart, Capital, etc.
Matroska is designed with the future in mind. It incorporates features you would expect from a modern container format.
1. Create and document a modern, flexible and cross-platform Audio/Video container format. It makes all the possibility to play MKV movie files on Windows, Mac OS, Linux with a variety of MKV video players. (With proper codec built in, even Windows Media Player will support playback MKV video)
2. Establish Matroska as the open source alternative to existing containers such as AVI, ASF, MOV, RM, MP4, MPG ES. And at times you may need to learn how to convert MKV to MP4 for get more MKV movie playing platform, like play MKV on iPhone, watch MKV on iPad, etc.
3. Features Chapters, Multi Video/Audio/Subtitle tracks and menu like DVD and Blu-ray disc have. So it is ideal to convert and burn MKV to DVDs. On contrary, backup and rip Blu-ray to MKV is also favorable to make Blu-ray digital backup and play HD video in MKV format.
4. Thanks to advanced video coding method, after converting M2TS/MTS video to MKV format, you can shrink a 50GB Blu-ray video in M2TS format to 10GB MKV file, while still keeping best preserved quality as well as chapters, menu, multiple language, subtitle tracks.
Still have trouble about the top 3 MKV players and how to play HD MKV video files? Please feel free to Email Us >>
Beatrice Green is a creative copywriter & marketer with 4-year work experience in Digiarty, professional in delivering thoughtful guides, tips or news related to DVD/video conversion/edit issues, latest hot movies, music, digital devices, tech events, and more.