Top 10 MP4 Players to Play MP4 Files on Windows 11/10/8/7 & Mac
Though there are Windows Media Player and QuickTime Player to help play MP4 files on Windows and Mac computer respectively, a number of users would like to download a third-party MP4 player featuring compact UI, solid performance and practical functions. Since the market is crowed with all sorts of MP4 video player software, it becomes a little hard mission to single out one program you really need. So, we do the job for you, and here is the roundup of best MP4 file players for Windows 11/10/8/7 & Mac based on users' and editors’ reviews and votes, as well as our playback tests. Simply choose the one you like most.
Can’t Play MP4 on Mac or Windows 10? Convert MP4 for QuickTime, Windows Media Player, & More
QuickTime Player can’t play MP4 encoded with some codecs, and also some MP4 files won’t play in Windows Media Player. Therefore, you need to convert MP4 files for QuickTime, Windows Media Player or any other MP4 media player to play. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is the right MP4 video converter to help fix (4K UHD) MP4 HEVC video issues like won’t open, not recognizing, can’t play, audio video out of sync, black screen, freezing, choppy playback, etc.
Top 10 MP4 Video Players Free Download
Windows 10/8.1/8/7, macOS (Catalina & earlier)
Windows 10/8/7, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, iPadOS, ChromeOS, etc.
Windows 10/8/7, Mac OS X (beta)
Windows 10/8/7, Mac OS X 10.13 or later (beta)
Windows, macOS (64bit for Mojave & later, 32bit for High Sierra & earlier)
Windows Vista, Mac OS X Leopard
Microsoft Windows, Android, macOS, Linux, Symbian, Oracle Solaris, Palm OS
No.1. 5KPlayer - ★★★★★
- Supported OS: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7, macOS (Catalina & earlier)
- Supported formats: MP4, H.265/H.264, AV1, VP8/VP9, MTS/M2TS, MKV, WMV, MOV, 360°, DVD, MP3, AAC, OGG, AC3, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, etc.
5KPlayer, an all-rounded free MP4 player software for Windows 10 and Mac, boasts its formidable ability to play MP4 files with crisp image and hi-fi audio. With a plain but elegant design, it offers extremely simple operation so that even a mere beginner can quickly learn how to play an MP4 video file on computer. Built-in with all MP4 video and audio codecs, it totally supports MPEG-4, H.264 with HD 1080p quality and even 4K/8K HEVC coding videos. It tops the list as it always gives you a free and clean performance without any adware, spyware, virus or any other malicious stuffs.
Born to be a 4K MP4 video player, besides its strong capability of playback MP4, MKV, M2TS, MOV, WMV, MP3, AAC, DVD, etc. files, it also features 300+ online sites download, video music AirPlay and DLNA, and M3U/M3U8 link live stream abilities.
- Support nearly all MP4 videos encoded with different codecs.
- Play MP4 files with various customizable settings like speed up/slow down, add subtitles, video audio synchronization, etc.
- Cross-platform DLNA share MP4 files to smart TV with bigger enjoyment.
- Smoothly play MP4 (HEVC/H.264) videos up to 4K 30fps thanks to built-in Hardware Acceleration tech.
- Crashes or choppy playback performance when the 4K MP4 videos are at 60fps or 120fps.
- Run in the background and is high in CPU usage when you don't use it.
- Occasional MP4 HDR washed out colors during playback.
No.2. VLC Media Player - ★★★★★
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, iPadOS, Chrome OS, etc.
- Supported formats: Nearly all media formats including MP4, MKV, WMV, MOV, ASF, AVI, OGG, OGM, WAV, FLV, VOB, AAC, AC3, FLAC, discs, webcam, H.264, HEVC, AVI, and others.
VLC is a highly-acclaimed free and open-source multimedia player designed to play a diverse of videos, audio files as well as DVDs, CDs and VCDs. It can directly play MP4 videos encoded with MPEG-4, H.264 and HEVC on computer and mobile without any third-party codec packs installed. This MP4 player also grants bonus functions to convert video files and rip DVD/Blu-ray/CD discs to MP4, WebM, TS, MP3, FLAC, iPhone, iPod, Android, Apple TV and YouTube.
By bringing a concise and secure interface, users can handle their MP4 playback task without spyware, ads or user tracking plug-ins. But bear in mind, nothing is perfect, the widely-used VLC also encounter problems like MP4 not playing or unexpected crashing error, leading users to turn to a VLC alternative necessarily.
- Play nearly all MP4 video files without downloading extra codec packs.
- Let customize your MP4 file playback like speed up/slow down, add subtitles, video audio synchronization, etc.
- Cross-platform stream MP4 files to smart TV with bigger enjoyment.
- Hardware Acceleration tech helps 4K HEVC MP4 smooth playback up to 60fps.
- Choppy, crashing, mosaic, or frame dropping when the 4K HEVC MP4 videos are at 120fps.
- Lots of playback errors like MP4 no sound, MP4 video audio out of sync, MP4 HDR washed out colors, etc.
- It is hard to recognize sub-codec of AV1 - av01.
- Sudden green screen, blank screen or black screen without notice.
No.3. PotPlayer – ★★★★★
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7
- Supported formats: Various media formats are supported including MP4, MOV, 3GP, MKV, WMV, DVD, MP3, AAC, FLAC, and so on.
Being a relatively young media player, PotPlayer has some advantages over other MP4 media players, such as more file formats supported, outstanding GPU hardware decoding powered by DXVA, Nvidia CUDA and Intel QuickSync, and so on. Those makes PotPlayer excellent for playing 4K (HEVC) videos without lags and stuttering on Windows 10.
Beyond that, PotPlayer is more suitable for advanced users who has advanced requirements like video editing or fix video playback errors like audio video out of sync. But as it only has Windows version (Windows 11 version is yet not confirmed), it won't let you play MP4 files on Mac.
- Support fast and smooth 4K/8K MP4 playback thanks to DXVA, CUDA, & QuickSync Hardware acceleration techs.
- Play MP4 video files with subtitles (SMI, SRT, ASS, SSA).
- Built-in OpenCodec lets users easily add whatever codecs for MP4 without need to install different codecs every time.
- Customizable settings: Preview the scene, bookmark scene or chapter, full screen MP4 playback, etc.
- It is more suitable for experienced users as the settings are complicated.
- No sound or time error when making bookmarks playlist, small subtitles, broken screen, strange color, etc.
- No Mac version. Can't play MP4 on Mac.
No.4. KMPlayer - ★★★★
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7, Mac OS X (beta)
- Supported formats: MPEG-4/2/1, WMV, FLV, MKV, 3GP, AVI, Quicktime MOV, MP3, AAC, FLAC, VCD, DVDs, and others.
More than a top MP4 file player for Windows 10 and earlier, KMPlayer is versatile media player software supporting a wide range of container formats covering MPEG-4/2/1, MKV, WMV, FLV, AVI, 3GP, QuickTime MOV, VCD and DVD. Internal codecs of MP4 (MPEG-4/H.264) and other formats make KMPlayer deliver a quick and efficient way of MP4 video playback. Apart from playing general videos, it also supports 3D and 4K UHD movies/videos as KMPlayer has improved itself recently with KMPlayer 64X supporting MP4 files up to 8K on Windows 10 computer.
Meanwhile, this MP4 video player lets you capture video, audio, screenshots and manage subtitles with ease.
- KMPlayer 64X plays MP4 up to 8K and 60FPS thanks to Hardware Acceleration.
- Play MP4 files with subtitles in SMI, ASS, SRT, PSB, S2K, SUB, TXT and LRC formats.
- Capture desired screen and audio of MP4 playback in the format you want.
- Customizable settings: Noise reduction, rotate the screen, bookmark chapters, audio video synchronization, etc.
- It is heavily CPU-loaded when playing 4K MP4 videos.
- Ads and pop-ups in the homepage, dedicated side panels, and the options panel.
- The Mac version is still in beta, so it is not very stable for MP4 playback on Mac.
- The installer contains several extra software.
No.5. GOM Player – ★★★★
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7, Mac OS X 10.13 or later (beta)
- Supported formats: AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, MOV, FLV, OGM, VOB, DAT, OGG, ASF, M1V, m2V, MP3, AAC, FLAC, WMA, RMA, and others.
GOM Player is a Korea made video player, which not only plays MP4 videos, and MKV, MOV, AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, DVD and Audio CD, but also plays a damaged file or a file being downloaded. It provides a comfortable playback environment that does not display ads if you upgrade to the Pro version. And the program itself has a clear interface and some features other programs lack, for example, you can install the mobile App - GOM Remote and use it as a remote while watching videos.
Its resourceful Subtitle Library allows you to automatically search and sync subtitles for the MP4 movie being played. 360 degree VR playback is also available on Windows (but not supported on Windows XP).
- Play most common media formats directly and play rare formats by installing additional codecs.
- Built-in Subtitle Library lets automatically search and sync subtitles for the MP4 movie being played.
- Play 360-degree videos side by side, and from top to bottom.
- Poor playback performance on Mac as Mac version is still in beta.
- Ads and pop-ups in the free version.
- Can't enjoy high resolution up to 4K UHD in the free version.
No.6. DivX Player - ★★★★
- Supported OS: Windows, macOS (64bit for Mojave & later, 32bit for High Sierra & earlier)
- Supported formats: DivX, MP4, AVI, MKV, HEVC, and others.
With best media management ability, you can use DivX Player to easily enjoy MP4, AVI, DivX and MKV video in high-quality up to 4K UHD, and even cast videos music to big screens. More than an MP4 video player for Mac/Windows 10, DivX Player is also able to use smooth FF/RW and Chapter point to quickly navigate to your favorite scenes or find different scenes. It isn’t totally a free software, but the free version is enough for you to play most popular audio formats and organize video/audio with playlist, including MP4 file of course.
BTW, DivX Player has a pro version (priced at $19.99) which allows you to play AC3, DTS surround sound, convert MPEG-2 and VC-1 video, and sync videos from Dropbox, Google Drive for playing. If needed, upgrade your DivX MP4 player.
- Play MP4 video files up to 4K very smoothly.
- With the help of DivX Media Server, you can cast MP4 videos from computer to a DLNA-compatible device like Xbox, Playstation, Samsung Galaxy line of products. Or Chromecast.
- Chapter Points function lets you quickly navigate to your favorite scenes or find different scenes.
- Multiple audio support lets you switch between soundtracks without interrupting MP4 playback.
- Free version has ads and pop ups.
- Only Pro version supports DTS surround sound/AC3 audio playback when playing MP4 movies.
- Only Pro version plays HEVC 10bits MP4 files.
- Only Pro version lets play MP4 videos directly from Google Drive or Dropbox.
No.7. QuickTime Player – ★★★★
- Supported OS: Windows Vista, Mac OS X Leopard
- Supported formats: MOV, MP4, M4V, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AVCHD, AVI, DV, M4A, M4B, MP3, AMR, and others.
Apple's QuickTime Player is a longstanding video player for playing MP4 videos, which is both available on Mac and Windows. And it provides a wealth of features to users, such as easy-to-use playback controls, simple editing features like trimming, splitting and flipping/rotating, and the ability to easily share the videos that you prefer.
But to be frank, QuickTime always works better on Mac OS, and it's a pity that QuickTime 7, QuickTime 7 Pro, and QuickTime Player 7 are no longer supported in macOS Catalina. This means that some legacy videos based on QuickTime 7 framework could be unplayable on Catalina. Still, QuickTime 7 for Windows hasn't been updated since 2016, which might lead errors on playing high resolution or high frame rate videos.
- Play MP4 videos by default with various customization settings like: choose a screen size, show subtitles, choose soundtrack, etc.
- Record screen while playing MP4 files.
- Edit MP4 videos: Trim, rearrange, rotate, and split a movie into multiple clips.
- Share MP4 movies through AirDrop.
- Play MP4 videos encoded with MPEG-4 or H.264/HEVC video codec and AAC audio codec only.
- No updates on Windows version QuickTime 7.7.9 in 2016.
- Unknown error happens now and then.
No.8. RealPlayer – ★★★
- Supported OS: Microsoft Windows, Android, macOS, Linux, Symbian, Oracle Solaris, Palm OS
- Supported formats: RealAudio (*.ra, *.rm), RealVideo (*.rv, *.rm, *.rmvb), RealMedia HD (*.rmhd), RealPix (*.rp), RealText (*.rt), RealMedia Shortcut (*.ram, *.rmm), DVD (*.vob), Video CD (*.dat), MPEG Video (*.mpg, *.mpeg, *.m2v, *.mpe etc.), AVI (*.avi, *.divx), MP3, etc.
Though the market share RealPlayer has is decreasing, it is still a popular and trustworthy media player to play most common MP4 video files on Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. Aside from MP4 playback support, it also lets you play MKV, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, VOB, RM, MP3, AAC, M4A, etc., and provides a list of plug-ins for additional formats support.
Born to be a multifunctional media software, RealPlayer at the same time allows you to stream media over the internet, download web videos from Vimeo and sites alike, convert videos and burn music to CD.
- Play any online and local videos and movies in MP4.
- Chromecast MP4 videos to smart TV with bigger picture and better sounds.
- Access MP4 media files from iPhone, computer, and TV anywhere anytime.
- Convert MP4 to other common formats. Turn MP4 video into MP3.
- Load slowly or not at all, stop working or keep crashing now and then when playing videos.
- Computer gets too slow when running Real Player.
- Can't display MP4 videos in SD card, but just show no video found.
- The Mac version is not as stable as the PC version.
No.9. Media Player Classic – ★★★
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7
- Supported formats: MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, HEVC, H.265/264, VP9/8, MP2, 3GP, AC3, DTS, VCD, SVCD, DVD, etc.
Media Player Classic (also known as MPC-HC) is an open source, very light-weight MP4 player for Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 of both 32-bit and 64-bit. It supports not only MP4 files, but also all common video and audio file formats available for playback, and it's 100% spyware free, with no advertisements or toolbars.
But the official site shows that v1.7.13 is the latest and won’t update in the future. So, you have to switch to something else if you want to play 4K videos in HEVC/H.264 MP4, MKV, AVI, etc. Also, it is not an MP4 player for Mac.
- Support Hardware decoding of 4K UHD/8K video with AMD cards.
- 100% spyware free, there are no advertisements or toolbars.
- Typical MKV/MP4 playback errors: no video, MP4 no sound, green screen, choppy/lagging.
- Sometimes crashes when playing MP4 files up to 4K/8K.
- Can't load subtitles and rotate videos occasionally.
- No development since 2017. No mac version.
No.10. BS.Player – ★★★
- Supported OS: Windows
- Supported formats: WebM, Xvid, avi, mpg, mpeg-1, mpeg-2, mpeg-4, 3ivx, YouTube streaming video, AVC HD (avchd player), QT QuickTime mov, RM Real media, OGM, Matroska , mkv, asf, wmv, DV, m1v, m2v, mp4, mpv, swf, vob and wav, mpa, mp1, mp2, mp3, Ogg, aac, aif, ram, wma, flv (Flash and YouTube Video) and much more
BS.Player is another ideal MP4 player for Windows users which specializes in playing video and audio in MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, VOB, MP3, AAC, AC3, WMA etc. It is an easy-to-use and efficient program with low CPU cost to guarantee a certain level of quality video playback even on a less capable computer.
The newest version of this free MP4 video player has been developed as all-sided multimedia software to manage video, audio, web-based TV and radio programs and live-streaming. What bothers users is that it may ask you to install BSPlayer ControlBar for subtitle download instead of removed attached adware in old versions.
- It is lightweight without using much of the CPU resources of computer.
- Support Hardware Accelerated playback which benefits 4K MP4 video playback.
- Play any YouTube movie directly from the internet.
- Open MP4 video contents with subtitles(MicroDVD .sub, VobSub .sub + .idx, SubViewer .sub, SubStation Alpha .ssa or .ass, SubRip .srt, VPlayer .txt...)
- Occassionally freeze during video playback.
- The interface is old-fashioned.
- Only paid version has Chromecast support. Chromecast does not load subtitles.
Guide How to Play MP4 Files on Windows 10 and Mac?
Here we take the best free MP4 player 5KPlayer as an example. Simply free download it, install and launch it on your Windows 10 or Mac computer to help play MP4 files easily.
Step 1. Import an MP4 video file. Open the free MP4 video player, drag and drop the MP4 files to the main window. Or you can also click "Video" button to browse or navigate to "File -> Open Media File". You can play any 4K/HD/SD videos in MP4 or other formats; and also download MP4 videos free from video sharing sites using the same program.
Step 2. Play the MP4 video file. After quick loading, the player will play the MP4 video immediately without any choke.
Step 3. Make some change. You can rotate the MP4 video left or right by 90 or 180 degree, you can pause at any second, or drag to realize Fast Forward and Rewinding.
See video tutorial about what is MP4 & how to play MP4 files:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is MP4?
MP4 is the most widely accepted video format, but it comes in different specifics. A video recorded via Gopro can be in 4K/HD MP4 HEVC; when you shoot a video with iPhone, it comes out as an 60fps MP4 file; videos downloaded from YouTube or other online sites can be MP4 MPEG. Besides, it is a container format that can include various video and audio codec, so that’s why sometimes you can’t play it without a right MP4 player.
2. What is the best MP4 Player?
There are several good free video players to play MP4 video files, among them 5KPlayer truly outshines. Unlike Windows Media Player and some other media player which require MP4 format and MP4 associated codecs, 5KPlayer is a one-piece MP4 media player app without the need of additional codec pack.
As the best MP4 player, 5KPlayer plays any MP4 encoded with H.264, H.265/HEVC, MPEG4 or other video codec format in HD and 4K UHD.
- Play MP4 and 240+ formats without other codec installed, including homemade & commercial DVDs, 360-degree videos, 3D videos, DTS sound, etc.
- Play 4K/8K MP4 with crystal clear picture quality. With the help of NVIDIA CUDA®, AMD, Intel® QSV, & DXVA 2.0 Hardware-acceleration, the CPU use is only about 5%.
- Advanced technologies used: Hardware Acceleration, TrueTheater stabilizer, DirectShow technology, Yadif/Blend/Inear Deinterlace filters, Bonjour service, and DLNA protocol.
3. What media player will play MP4 videos?
Almost all the media players we see out the market can play MP4 files, as MP4 is most common and widely used media format on hardware devices like iPhone, smart TV, streaming services like YouTube and Netflix. So, besides the 10 MP4 players in this page including 5KPlayer, VLC, DivX Player, RealPlayer, KMPlayer, PotPlayer, BS.Player, MPC-HC, QuickTime and GOM Player, you can also find examples like Windows Media Player, Movies & TV app, SMPlayer, MPlayer, etc.
4. How to play MP4 on Windows 10?
Playing MP4 files on Windows 10 is simple and easy. On your Windows 10 computer, simply select Start > File Explorer or choose the File Explorer from the taskbar. Next, choose the MP4 file you want to play, press and hold it, and select the Open with option. Then, a list of MP4 player applications will appear and you can choose one to open your MP4 files.
5. How to play MP4 on Windows 11?
Now, the newly-released player app named Media Player is claimed as the default and best media player to play video music files. To play MP4 files with it, simply open the Media Player on Windows 11 and then drag'n drop your MP4 video to it to play.
6. How to play MP4 on Mac?
A tailor-made MP4 player for Mac like VLC or 5KPlayer lets you directly play MP4 on Mac without errors. If you encounter error message like "the movie could not be opened", chances are the default media player for Mac - QuickTime has codec incompatibility issue for QuickTime Player plays MP4 videos encoded with MPEG-4 or H.264/HEVC video codec and AAC audio codec only. To make QuickTime play MP4 videos successfully, convert MP4 to QuickTime-compatible format with WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is one way out.
7. Why is my MP4 file not playing on Windows 10 or Mac?
If your MP4 player failed to play MP4 videos, one reason is that the MP4 video player is not that powerful to handle new video formats like AV1, HEVC, 360-degree, 4K, etc. videos. Most likely, it might be an issue of your MP4 video itself which has improper codec like VP9, HEVC, VC1, or DTS audio codec etc. Or your video is just embedded with high frame rate, resolution or some other parameters. For that, you can turn to WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe to convert MP4 to be more compatible with your MP4 media player.
8. Can Windows Media Player play MP4?
Yes. By default, Windows Media Player can play MP4 files. However, if there is corrupted video, incompatible file format, or codec missing issue, Windows Media Player can't play MP4 files error happens. Switching to a more powerful MP4 player and converting MP4 to Windows Media Player-compatible are the top two solutions.