MP4 is surely the NO.1 mainstream container format used both online and offline. If you have piles of commercial or homemade MP4 movie/music videos on your hard drive or memory card, and would like to reduce MP4 file size to free up some storage space, to upload relatively smaller MP4 videos to web since many video sharing sites limit the video size of MP4 footage you upload, to send to others via email, or just for playing on iPhone iPad etc. portable devices smoothly, this tutorial relevant for How to Reduce MP4 File Size with free MP4 compressor must fit the bill.
Reduce video file size of any HD/4K/8K (MKV, M2TS, AVCHD, HEVC) or big-sized H.264 MP4, AVI or other videos to save hard drive storage, play on portable devices, share online, send via email or Skype using the best free (MP4) video size reducer/compressor – WinX Free Video Converter
Way 1 - Reduce MP4 File Size by Adjusting Video Parameters
Reducing MP4 file size by resetting its parameters depends on the following elements: codec, compress bit rate, resolution and the container, which together distribute the video file size.
• Resolution: The lower width*height/resolution is, the smaller MP4 video will be. (with other parameters unchanged)
• Bit rate: Setting lower bit rate can achieve smaller video size. But please don't make it too low, otherwise the image quality can be really bad.
• Video codec/container: Although H.264 is the best codec for MP4 compression, converting MP4 to other format with smaller file size is workable. FLV and WMV formats are considerable, especially FLV (for uploading to web).
Way 2 - Reduce MP4 File Size by Trimming/Cropping Video
This is a conservative way to compress MP4 video by cutting unnecessary part off, remaining less video content with the original quality, or cropping annoying black bars for playback video in full screen.
WinX Free Video Converter is 100% free and clean software to fulfill common video conversion needs, especially for those newbies who are not so skilled with software or computer. It has two versions for both Windows and Mac OS X, helping you compress MP4 in a more stable way than HandBrake, and more convenient than Windows Movie Maker. Download it first to our computer, add/drag video to it after installing by wizard, and then shrink/reduce MP4 file size as follows:
* Choose "MP4 Video (AAC/MP3)" at PC General Video or FLV/WMV etc., place the scroll bar to "LQ/Fast"; >> AAC vs MP3
* Open "Setting" window to adjust the listed video audio parameters like resolution, aspect ratio, bit rate.
* "Edit" function features well in video cropping and trimming, deleting the unnecessary video content and black bars from the sides.
Handbrake is a totally free open-sourced video transcoder for you to compress MP4 on Windows, Mac and Linux. You just need to choose "High Profile" in the right drawer, and then resize the resolution or crop video under "Picture" option, set the video framerate/quality and optimize video to define the video size. Definitely the lower quality/faster converting speed you set, the smaller MP4 video size you'll get.
Note: If you want to compress MP4 to FLV or other formats or you need full pre-settings about video quality, resolution and bit rate, which will save you much time, Handbrake is not a good choice for you.
Windows Movie Maker is a free video editing tool (included in Windows Essentials) of Microsoft for Windows 7, 8 and Windows Server 2008 R2. However when you upgrade those OSs to the latest Windows 10, it will be removed, which means you have to download Movie Maker and reinstall it on Win10 again if you wanna use it. (For Mac users, iMovie is a similar way to go.)
Downsizing MP4 file size is quite easy by Windows Movie Maker: Open up it -> browse and open your source MP4 video -> Save movie to a specific device with small/resolution/only audio option or Create custom setting to fine tune the video width/height/bit rate/frame rate and audio kbps/kHz.
Also, kindly note that in Movie Maker, you have the option to save your file as a project file - a format that owns quite smaller file size, because all it contains are the file names, the list of edit points etc., no actual video, photos or music at all.
Still have trouble on how to reduce MP4 file size on Windows (10) PC, just feel free to Mail Us >>
Compared to WinX Free Video Converter, WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe owns what is worth a try besides reducing MP4 file size:
• Improved video conversion speed from 15-20x real time to 83x faster;
• Increased video audio codecs from 300+ to 370+; More up-to-date and comprehensive output profiles from 280+ to 410+;
• More practical features like Video Compressor for YouTube, Online YouTube/Facebook/Dailymotion Downloader, Photo Slideshow Maker, Screen Recorder for Mac.
Note: The names of other companies, products and services are the property of their respective owners. Any logo, trademark and image relating to other companies that may be contained wherein are applied in the internet and are not used for commercial use. Digiarty's Software is not developed by or affiliated with such companies.