Best Free MakeMKV Alternative for Windows (10) and Mac to Rip Protected DVD to MP4, WMV, MOV, etc.
Use a Top Free MakeMKV Alternative for Windows (10) and Mac to Rip Protected DVD to MP4, MPEG, WMV, MOV, etc. for Playback on PC/Mac/iPhone/iPad/Android.
Questions about MakeMKV alternative asked online:
1. I'm looking for best alternative to MakeMKV to rip commercial DVD to not only MKV, but also to other popular video formats like MP4, MOV, etc. so that I can watch my favorite DVD movie on my big HD screen iPhone 7 Plus. Any suggestions?
2. I'm trying to use MakeMKV to rip a Disney movie DVD, but it's failed. Then I checked out the free MakeMKV alternative, Handbrake, it can't decrypt protected DVD. Are there any alternative programs like MakeMKV out there?
Indeed, MakeMKV is a decent program which allows users to convert DVD to MKV file without quality loss, but its output video format is limited to MKV, which is somewhat frustrated for those who want to play the DVD movie video on iPhone iPad Android or other mobiles on the move. Besides, the output MKV video file is very large. Is there any excellent free MakeMKV alternative that supports more popular output video formats/devices and can output original video quality of DVD? It'll be better if it is extremely user-friendly like MakeMKV and has much more editing options. This article provides best answers.
Table of Contents:
Part 1: Best Free MakeMKV Alternative for Windows (10) - WinX DVD Ripper
Merits of this best free alternative to MakeMKV:
1. This stellar free DVD ripper for Windows 10/8/7/Vista enables users to rip DVD to MP4, MPEG, WMV, MOV, FLV, MP3, iPhone, Apple TV, Android Samsung, HTC, etc. with no quality loss.
2. Support removing DVD CSS encryption, region code, Sony ARccOS, UOPs, RCE, etc. As for Disney X-project DRM protected DVD, please turn to its upgraded version, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.
3. Save your time with high DVD ripping speed and provide you best output video quality thanks to its built-in Hyper-Threading tech and High Quality Engine.
4. Flexible video/audio settings enable users change video resolution, frame rate, aspect ratio, sample rate, adjust volume, choose subtitles, etc., according to own needs.
5. This best free MakeMKV alternative for Windows (10) contains no malware, adware, spyware or virus at all.
Related article: MakeMKV vs WinX DVD Ripper: Which One to Choose?
Part 2: Best Free MakeMKV Alternative - Rip DVD to Popular Formats/Devices in 3 Simple Steps
Free download and install WinX DVD Ripper on your Windows 10/8/7 PC, etc. or free download free MakeMKV alternative for Mac. Then follow the 3 simple steps below to rip (copy-protected) DVD to MP4, MOV, MPEG, iPhone, etc.
Step 1: Import the DVD disc.
Launch this best MakeMKV free alternative for Windows (10) or Mac, and click "DVD Disc" icon.
This smart DVD ripping program will auto load the DVD movie info including DVD movie title, subtitle, video, audio, duration, etc., and it will auto detect the right main DVD movie title for you.
Step 2: Choose output and set parameters.
Choose output video or device file for the ripping DVD. Users can choose to rip DVD to MP4, MPEG, WMV, FLV, MOV, MP3, iPhone, Apple TV, Samsung, HTC, etc.
Also, this best free MakeMKV alternative allows users to customize the video/audio/image settings according to own needs, and rip DVD with original quality by setting the video resolution with "keep origin".
Step 3: Start ripping DVD with the best MakeMKV alternative freeware.
Optionally click "Browse" to set an output folder to store the ripped digital file of DVD. Right click "Start" button to begin ripping any protected DVDs on Windows (10) or Mac with this easy-to-use free MakeMKV alternative.
Attention: we only advocate ripping own DVD for personal use, and please consult DVD copyright laws in your country carefully before doing so.
Part 3: FAQ of Using MakeMKV to Rip DVD
Before we introduce more details about this free MakeMKV alternative, let's first find out some facts about using MakeMKV to copy/backup DVD.
1. MakeMKV is compatible with Windows 10 or not? – No. MakeMKV supports Windows 8 or earlier.
2. Does MakeMKV support other output video formats except MKV when ripping DVD? – No. The output is only in MKV format.
3. Can MakeMKV let users customize the DVD movie video audio parameters or choose/add external subtitles? – No.
4. Can MakeMKV extract the DVD audio only? – No.
5. How long will it take using MakeMKV to rip a DVD? – About 30 minutes.
6. Which DVD movie title should I rip since there are so many titles in MakeMKV? – MakeMKV lacks the function of previewing video and it's hard to figure out which is the correct main title. - Check 'MakeMKV Guide: Which Title or Playlist to Rip for a Lionsgate DVD/Blu-ray'
7. Is MakeMKV free? - Yes. MakeMKV is free while it's in beta. Here's MakeMKV free Beta key. You have to update the key every month.
Check more troubleshooting tips for MakeMKV not ripping DVDs errors, such as DVDs won't load/open/read/recognize in MakeMKV, "no disc inserted" error, playlist Obfuscation/fake playlist, etc.
Limits of MKV Video Format
1. If you use MakeMKV to backup DVD to MKV, you will get a very large MKV file which occupies much space of your computer. For exactly the same content, the ripped MKV files are about 10% smaller than DVD files. To be specific, ripping a standard DVD movie, the size of the output MKV file is over than 6GB.
2. Playing MKV files is not that easy. You can play MKV on computer with some professional MKV player like the popular free 5KPlayer. But if you want to play the DVD movie video on iPhone iPad Android, etc. you need a third-party efficient video converter to convert MKV to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, etc.
For the above reasons, many of you may need a more easy-to-use and powerful MakeMKV alternative to rip DVD to hard drive as MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, etc. for easier playback on PC, Mac or mobiles. Among all the programs like MakeMKV, the free software is top recommended to you.