How to Play DVD on Laptop (Windows 10/8/8.1/7 and Mac)?
How to Play a DVD on Laptop (Windows 10/8/8.1/7 and Mac)? It seems to be easy: insert the DVD, click and play. However, you may notice a foreign DVD won't play on the laptop of your region, or the DVD playback is not as smooth as you may expect. If you can't play a DVD movie on your computer successfully, here are ultimate solutions. This post is focusing on everything about how to play DVD on laptop computer. According to different computer systems you use, find the best solution to flawlessly play DVD on Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, or Mac computer (incl. macOS Big Sur, Catalina).
Best Free DVD Player for Windows (10) and Mac to Play DVD on Laptop with Ease
5KPlayer – Enables you to play any DVD (incl. copy-protected DVD, region code DVD, etc.) or videos/music on Windows 10/8/7, etc., free download 8K/4K/HD videos from YouTube and 1000+ sites, stream videos/audios to iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, etc.
1. How to Play DVD on Laptop Windows 7?
If you are still using Windows 7 system, then the easiest way to play DVD on laptops of HP, Lenovo, Acer etc. is to use its built-in Windows Media Player.
1) Insert the DVD disc to the DVD drive or external USB DVD drive of the laptop.
2) Open Windows Media Player and select a DVD title or chapter in the player library, and it will play DVD without hassle.
2. How to Play DVD on Laptop Windows 8/8.1?
If your computer is running on Windows 8/8.1, you can no longer play DVD natively just like Windows 7. But you still can play DVD on Windows 8 laptop with these solutions:
1) Pay extra $10 to get the Windows 8 Media Center pack which is available separately. The Windows Media Center Package installed on your computer can play DVDs.
2) Search for DVD player software which can flawlessly play DVD on Windows 8/8.1. Luckily, there is a free and fast way for DVD playback on Windows 8/8.1, that is to use the free 5KPlayer.
3. How to Play DVD on Laptop Windows 10
1) The Windows DVD Player app provided by Microsoft enables Windows 10 PCs with an optical disc drive to play DVD movies. You can buy it in the Microsoft Store with $14.99.
2) Install third party top free Windows 10 DVD players. Thankfully there's good free software available like 5KPlayer, VLC, etc. that can play DVD movie fast and smoothly on Windows 10.
Watch video tutorial on how to play DVD on Windows 10
Errors that may cause DVD can't be played on Windows and fixes:
1) DVD region code: DVD may not be played on Windows 7 if it is from another region. To against piracy, manufacturers use Region Codes to control which countries can play specific DVDs. The disc will only play if it matches your laptop's DVD player region code. There are 6 DVD regions, among which USA and Canada belong to Region 1, Europe and Japan belong to Region 2, India and Africa belong to Region 5. You can't play DVDs from other countries in your place, for example, play USA DVD in UK, or play Region 2 in US.
2) Missing a codec: If you get a message saying that your computer is missing a codec and Windows Media Player isn't working, you may not have the right codec on your Windows 7 PC. The easiest way to solve this problem is to go to the official website of the codec manufacturer, to search for and download the codec you need, because codec packs from other sources might include malware that can damage your PC.
3) DVD drive is broken: The computer DVD drive is physically damaged and you need a new one or an external USB DVD drive.
4) You need a free DVD player for Windows 7: if Windows Media Player still can't work and you can't play DVD on Windows 7 laptop, you may download and install another third party free media player which supports DVD playback.
5) You need a top DVD ripper to rip DVD to MP4, AVI, H.264, WMV, HEVC, MKV, MOV, MPEG, etc. Then you can play the videos on most media players on Windows 7 (or macOS) with original quality. WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (WinX DVD Ripper for Windows or WinX DVD Ripper for Mac ), a clean, fast and easy-to-use DVD ripper can rip any copy-protected DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, M4V, MPEG, H.264, etc. with original quality for easier playback on Windows 10/8/7, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, etc., is a good choice.
Best Way to Play DVD on Laptop (Windows 10/8/8.1/7 and Mac)
If you encounter problems while using WMP or WMC to play DVD on Windows 7/8 laptop or unable to play DVD on Windows 10, as mentioned above, the best 2 solutions to play DVD on Windows 10/8/7 or Mac laptop are to install a reliable third-party free DVD player or use best DVD ripping software to rip DVD to digital files like MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, etc. with original quality. Here are how-to guides.
Option 1: How to Play DVD on Laptop Directly with a Third-party Free DVD Player
5KPlayer is a totally clean, safe and easy-to-use free DVD player compatible with Windows 10/8/7, Mac, etc. As one of the most popular free media players, it is well-received by perfectly supporting playing any regular DVDs and commercially copy-protected and region code locked DVDs, DVD folders and ISO files on Windows (10) or Mac laptop it also enables users to play all kinds of videos 8K, 5K, 4K, HD videos, etc. in MP4, AVI, MKV, HEVC, MOV, WMV, MP3, FLAC, AAC, WMA, WAV and more).
1) Download and install the most powerful free Windows (10) DVD player or its Mac version.
2) Install DVD disc to DVD drive or external USB DVD drive.
3) Launch the program, and click "DVD" button on the main interface to play DVD on laptop immediately.
Option 2: How to Play DVD on Laptop by Ripping DVD to Digital Files as MP4, AVI, etc.
Another simple way for playing DVD on laptop is to use a stellar DVD ripper to convert DVD to digital files. WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is top recommended. As the best DVD ripper for Windows (10) and Mac, it allows users to remove DVD protections (DVD CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney X-project DRM, etc.) to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, etc. with original quality at fastest speed.
1) Free download and install WinX DVD Ripper Platinum on Windows (10) or Mac laptop. Insert DVD disc to the DVD drive.
2) Launch the DVD ripper and click "DVD Disc" button on the top. The DVD main title will be auto detected. Choose output video format, for example, Windows laptop compatible video formats like MP4, AVI, WMV and Mac general videos formats MP4, M4V, MOV.
3) Hit "RUN" to start ripping DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, M4V, etc. for later playing the DVD movie video on Windows (10) or Mac laptop.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.