How to Compress Large 4GB Video File without Losing Quality
I have some MKV movie copies that are around 4GB. I am trying to reduce the file size by at least in half without dropping serious quality. A little is okay, but I don't want to watch a crappy dark blurry movie.
I just finished a project using some 2.7K 60fps footages from my GoPro. The rendered video is only 7-minute long but has a file size of over 4GB! How do I reduce the file size of a 4gb video whilst maintaining quality so that it is suitable for sharing on Google drive?
Shutterbugs or video lovers may find it frustrating why a simple HD or 4K video recording of a few minutes garnishes 4GB worth of file. They want to compress the 4GB video file down to something between 1GB and 2GB or less, without losing video quality. This is also true for movie lovers, who generally collect a lot of MKV or MPEG movie files, normally in the 4GB size, and would love to reduce video file size to get more space back. If you've already saved a lot of video files taken by your DJI drone, GoPro, etc, stay here and learn how to compress 4GB video file for sharing or storing on USB or NAS easily.
Table of Content
Part 1. Introduction of 4GB Video File Compression
There are several ways to down size the 4GB video file.
1. Lower video resolution, bitrate and frame rate.
First of all, the 4GB movie file or video recording can be downsized by lowering the resolution, bitrate and frame rate of the video file. It is the most common method to compress a video file. But you have to bear in mind that heavy reduction of video resolution and bitrate leads to quality degradation.
2. Take advantage of high efficiency video coding.
Compressing large video file and re-encoding it in HEVC codec can make the file smaller without visual quality loss. HEVC codec is a well-known high-efficiency video coding technology, which halves the file size at the same quality level compared to H.264. However, videos encoded in HEVC are not well compatible with all players or devices. For instance, you have to install HEVC video extension from Microsoft for smooth HEVC playing.
3. Cut off unnecessary part of the 4GB video.
It's highly advised to remove unwanted parts of the video file. Most video editing tools offer the Crop and Cut features to fit the bill. By doing so, it will reduce the file size of the 4GB video with your image quality untouched.
Also check: How to Compress 4GB Video in Adobe Premiere Pro.
Part 2. How to Reduce the File Size of a 4GB Video without Losing Quality
Since you already know how to compress large 4GB video file. In the following section, we will show you the detailed tools to reduce the file size of 4GB video using free video compressor software and online tool.
Method 1. Make a Video File Smaller than 4GB with Desktop Compressor
Desktop video compressor is well known for its stable operation and multiple features available. One of the most reliable tools is WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe, an all-in-one video converter, compressor, downloader and editor. It has a built-in 370+ video/audio codecs and can easily convert and compress 4K/HD/SD videos, while having practical editing features such as trimming, cropping, and parameter (resolution, bitrate, frame rate) adjustment.
On top of that, by taking advantages of the world's most advanced Intel QSV, MMX-SSE, NVIDIA CUDA/NVENC, AMD hardware acceleration, you can compress the large video files fast and smoothly without burdening your computer CPU at all.But how do you compress a 4GB video file?
Free download and install the video compressor software from the official site. After a successful installation, launch the program.
Step 1. Click +Video button at the top left of the interface to load the video file.
Step 2. Choose a video compression method.
- Convert video format or codec. You can convert 4K to MP4, MKV to MP4, MOV to HEVC, etc.
- Cut unnecessary parts off the 4GB video. Return to the main interface and click the Edit button, where you can shorten the playback time of the video and thus reduce the video file size. Click the Trim button, set the Start time and End time of the video, and remain the necessary part. Also, you can click the Crop & Extend button to get rid of black bars.
- Change parameters (resolution/frame rate/bitrate). Click the gear icon to kick off the Setting panel, where you can change the resolution to a minimum of 1920x1080, for example. Set the video frame rate at 30fps or leave it unchanged, and reduce the video bitrate, maybe 50-70% of the source video bitrate is preferably.
Step 3. Click Browse button to specify the destination folder and click RUN button to start video compression process. Then you can import and save the compressed video file to your FAT32 file system or USB or share it easily and fast.
Method 2. Compress 4GB Video File for Free with Online Tool
Free online video compressors advantage over desktop software due to the no additional installation required and ease of use. There are many online video compressor tools such as Clideo, Veed.io, Freeconvert, etc. But bear in mind, most online tools impose restrictions on the file size of the imported video, for example 500MB-1GB normally. Typically, you cannot compress 4GB video file unless you upgrade to the pro version of FreeConvert at a cost of $25.99 per month.
How can you make a video file smaller than 4gb? To make 4GB video file smaller with FreeConvert, you can follow the steps below:
- Access the official site, and upgrade to the Pro Version to unlock the 4GB file size upload limit.
- Go to the online video compression, click Choose Files. You can add the 4GB video file from the device, Dropbox, Google Drive or URL.
- Choose the output format such as MP4, FLV, MKV, 3GP, AVI, or MOV.
- Enable the advanced options to change the video codec, e.g. HEVC. Choose the Compression method. You can target the file size as a smaller percentage. This will compress video to a degree. Click Apple Settings.
- Tap the Compress Now button, and it will begin downsizing your 4GB or other larger video file.
That's all for the 4GB video file compression. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. For the video compression software, it features fast compression speed and is able to handle the larger video file, 4K or HEVC file smoothly. While for the online video compressors, it is easy to use, but the compression speed is not fast and there are generally file size restrictions. If you want to compress 4GB video file, it's advised to choose the desktop tool to fill your needs.