Free Download VP9 AV1/VP10 Codec on Windows 10 - WinXDVD
Download the Best Free Video Codec for VP9/VP10 Video Decoding or UHD Video Compression
Theoretically speaking, VP9 and AV1 are used for decoding & encoding videos. That process is what we normally called for "compressing" & "playing" videos. It can be an encoder for compression only or decoder for decompression only. With a VP9 VP10 codec, people can create a 4K/8K UHD video or convert the videos to more compatible formats for playing on any computers or devices.
The Best & Fastest VP9/H.264 Encoder and Decoder
- Decode VP9 WebM, VP9 MKV & HEVC/H.265 videos to MPEG-4, H.264, AAC, MP4, AVI, WMV, etc.
- Reduce 4K/8K UHD videos with VP9/AV1 codecs at great compression rate.
- Convert VP9 (libvpx, ffvp9), AV1 video footages to any iPhone iPad model, PS4, Xbox, Android, etc.
Table of Content
Part 1. What is VP9 and AV1 (VP10) Codec?
What is VP9?
Following the predecessor VP8, VP9 is designed to contend against MPEG's High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265). Currently, people have increasing interests in VP9 and are looking for VP9 codec download, not only because it is a new open (and royalty free) codec with decent software and hardware support, but also for its following shining points.
1. Top Features of VP9 Codec
- Promising - The trend of VP9 video and codec is believed promising. Its video compression technology is up to 2X over H.264 or VP8 and is purported to kill H.265.
- Ultra-high definition video - Similar to HEVC codec, when mentioning VP9, we will naturally relate it to ultra-high definition (UHD) video, for example, 4K video. Both HEVC/H.265 and VP9 codecs are UHD codecs.
- Lossless compression - If you need a lossless encoding, VP9 is a solid choice. It ensure lossless encoding by transmitting at the lowest quantization level (q index 0) an additional 4×4-block encoded Walsh–Hadamard transformed (WHT) residue signal.
- HDR video supported - VP9 supports HDR video using Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) and Perceptual Quantizer (PQ).
2. Top Advantages of VP9 Codec
- VP9 can reduce the bitrate and file size (by making individual pixels bigger). VP9 codec was developed with the intention of reducing bitrate by 50% compared to VP8, while having the same video quality.
- Google has built VP9 support into its popular video platform, YouTube. More accurately, VP9 was mainly used on YouTube.
- 85% of the browser market support VP9. Surely, the widely used Google Chrome browser supports VP9.
- Encoding.com supports VP9 VP10 video encoding.
3. VP9 vs H265 vs H264 vs AV1
VP9 vs HEVC - According to wikipedia, VP9 supports 12K (11520×6480 or 12228×6480) videos instead of HEVC, that is only capable to manage resolutions up to 8192×4320 pixels. H.265 has higher image quality while VP9 is more reliable for streaming. VP9 can take 4×4, 8x8, 16x16 and 64×64 square superblocks, but unlike H.265 these don't need to be square so it can sample 64×32 or 4×8 blocks for greater efficiency.
VP9 vs H.264 - VP9 is a triumphant alternative to H.264. VP9 with ffvp9 decoder is somewhat faster than ffh264 decoding speed.
VP9 vs AV1 - AV1 is the successor to VP9 and theoritically leaves VP9 in the dust in almost each case, covering performance, efficiency, compression rate, quality. Of course, the current only disadvantage of AV1 lies in the compatibility and high-demanding on hardware configurations. Read this if you wanna know more detailed comparison.
What is VP10, AV1 Codec?
VP10 Codec was called Google's next generation codec with its initial specifications being published, but later, Google canceled it and formed the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia), more specifically, Open Media's AOMedia Video 1 (AV1) codec. So it is bold to say, AV1 is VP10.
Part 2. How and Where to Download VP9/AV1/H265 Codec, Encoder or Decoder?
Currently, VP9 formatted by WebM container format can be officially supported by Windows 10 October 2018 Update (1809), macOS 11.3 beta 2 (for Safari) and later higher operating systems. Meanwhile, VP9 videos in webm and mkv container formats can be compatible with both Linux and Android devices. You don't have to download or install any VP9 codec or VP9 video extensions if your computers or Android devices reach the above barrier to entry.
Certainly, in case your laptop is running on Windows 10 Anniversary Update (1607), webm (VP9) is not recognized and you need to install pseudo extension for VP9 codec. As for Windows 8/7 or macOS 11.3 lower operating system, check the below tips to download VP9/VP10 codec, VP9 video extension or VP9 decoder/encoder.
1. Download VP9/AV1 Codec/Video Extension
Free download and install VP9 codec or video extension from the below sources.
2. Download VP9/VP10 encoder
You are supposed to be able to encode WebM with VP9 video codec and Vorbis audio codec by SUPER standing for Simplified Universal Player Encoder and Renderer, with the help of encoding tools like FFmpeg, MEncoder, MPlayer, x264, MusePack, Monkey's audio, Shorten audio, TAK audio, True audio, WavPack, the libavcodec library and the theora/vorbis RealProducer's plugIn.
Generally, VP9 has 3 types of encoders, including libvpx, SVT-VP9 and Eve (a commercial encoder). In most cases, libvpx-vp9 encoder is recommended since it offers you with single-pass, two-pass and lossless encoding modes.
3. Download VP9/AV1 decoder
VP9 decoder consists of libvpx and ffvp9 (developed). Generally, it will adopt libvpx for VP9 decoding as default. If you have FFmpeg installed on Windows 10, you can utilize ffvp9 for VP9 decoding, which ffvp9 trounces libvpx by 25-50% in decoding speed on a bounty of machines.
Moreover, Winxvideo AI is an optimum selection. It can decode VP9 WebM or HEVC H.265 video to MP4 (MPEG-4, H.264, AVC), AVI, WMV, FLV, MOV, M2TS and any video format in any resolution and aspect ratio at GPU hardware accelerated speed.
Part 3. Do I Need to Worry about VP9/AV1's Format Support?
With the popularity of 4K Ultra HD videos, it's very likely that most devices you buy in the future will support VP9 and AV1 formats. (FYI, 'Daala', a third format is also in the pipeline at the same time). But taking HEVC support enabling as an example, in order to ship a product with HEVC support, people need to acquire licenses from at least four patent pools (MPEG LA, HEVC Advance, Technicolor, and Velos Media). Therefore, it is hard to predict when the day of wide VP9 AV1 support is bound to come.
To make all their HEVC/H.265, VP9 and other 4K videos more widely accepted, people are now geared to download and install an all-in-one video converter on their Windows PC to:
• Convert VP9 WebM video to MP4, AVI, FLV, MOV, WMV or other format that is more compatible.
In addition to the format compatibility itself, video compression is another factor to consider. A tiny increase in video compression can result in major improvement in user experience and huge cost savings. Bulky file size is always annoying, that's why the UHD videos are not welcome in most cases, especially when being played back on mobile devices. Under the circumstances, people are seeking for high video compression solution and some have satisfactorily taken advantage of a VP9 video converter with high video compression rate and leading fast re-encoding speed, to:
• Compress 8K to 4K, 4K to 1080p and the like, reduce file size, lower the video resolutions to fit iPhone, iPad, Android and most portable device or to upload videos to YouTube, share videos with friends via Whatsapp, Facebook, etc.
Related External Source:
Still have any questions on downloading VP9/VP10/AV1 codec, just Email Us>>