Top 5 AMR File Players Free Download
AMR is an audio data compression scheme optimized for speech coding. It is the standard used in mobile devices and VoIP applications, but it is compatible with a few devices and players. So, to play AMR files on Windows 10, Mac, iPhone or Android, you need a professional AMR file player.
Table of Contents
Part 1. Top 5 AMR File Players Free Download
5KPlayer is a free video and music player which you can utilize to play videos up to 4K and audio in AMR, MP3, AAC, FLAC, etc. With 5.1/7.1 DTS surround sound support, you can have a theater-effect sound at home when watching movies. When listening to AMR music, you can make a playlist, repeat a certain song, and loop the AMR files. BTW, this AMR file player also have a built-in converter that you can use to convert AMR to MP3, convert MP4 to MP3, or download YouTube to MP3.
- Adaptive to multi bitrates from low to high.
- Multi-formats supports, including AMR, AAC, AIFF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, etc.
- 5.1/7.1 DTS surround sound support.
- Convert videos to MP3, and download YouTube playlist.
- High CPU occupying.
This AMR player is specifically designed for online AMR files. It is an browser extension that you don’t need to install any further software or plug-in to play AMR files. You can directly play the AMR audio files on browser, from Google Drive, and from your computer as well. After throwing the AMR file at it, you can control your AMR file playback, like Play, Pause, Volume, Playlist, and so on. BTW, you can also use it to convert AMR to WAV format.
- Play AMR, AMR-NB, 3GA, MP3, WAV audio files on your browser directly.
- Play AMR files from Google Drive and local computer.
- Convert AMR to WAV format.
- Support Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge.
- Need internet connection to play AMR files.
No.3: AMR Player
As its name shows, it is specifically designed for AMR file playback. Put succinctly, AMR Player is a light-weight AMR file player for Windows 7, 8, XP, 98, and 2003. It has a simple interface and it is very easy to use to play both AMR-NB and AMR-WB audio formats. Also, you can convert MP3 or WAV to AMR, and convert AMR to MP3 or WAV easily.
- Low CPU usage.
- Support AMR-NB and AMR-WB audio files.
- Support MP3/WAV to AMR, and AMR to MP3/WAV.
- Very limited formats support range.
- Not many preference settings.
- Play AMR files only.
- Can’t be used on Windows 10 and 11.
No.4: VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player has been a very successful and powerful multimedia player that can also be used as a AMR file player to play AMR files on Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android, and so on. It is free and open-source that everyone can use. Besides AMR files, it can play other audio files as WAV, PCM, AMR, AWB, WMA, MP3, AAC, MS ADPCM, PLS, CUE with FLAC, CUE with APE, etc. BTW, it is available for you to play DVDs, webcams, MP4, MKV, MOV, etc. files without any third-party help.
- Open-source and completely free.
- Play AMR, MP3, AAC, MS ADPCM, FLAC, WMA, WAV, etc. audio files.
- Convert AMR to MP3, OGG, and FLAC.
- Create playlist to play.
- High CPU demand.
- Old-school interface, not very user-friendly.
Audacity is a free and open-source digital audio player, recorder, and editor that you can use to control your audio files in many ways. Of course, you can utilize it to play AMR files easily on Windows, macOS, Linux and other Unix-like operating systems. Besides importing AMR, you can also edit AMR files and then export polished AMR audio files with this tool.
- Play, edit and export AMR files.
- High sound quality: support 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit.
- Support for LADSPA, LV2, Nyquist, VST and Audio Unit effect plug-ins.
- Add effect to audio files.
- Sometimes unstable.
- Not user-friendly.
- You need to install plugins or encoders for some files.
Part 2. How to Play AMR Files with AMR File Player?
It is easy to play any AMR file with a AMR file player, here we take 5KPlayer for Windows as an example to show you.
Step 1. Free download 5KPlayer, install and launch it.
Step 2. Now, you can play your AMR files with 5KPlayer with one of the following ways.
- Drag and drop your AMR files to 5KPlayer to play directly.
- Click on "Music" button on the main UI of 5KPlayer to add a AMR file on your computer to play.
- Find your AMR file on computer and right click on the file to choose "Play with" and then choose 5KPlayer to play.
Note: If your AMR file player can’t play the AMR audio file, you can try to convert AMR to MP3 with a media converter.
Part 3. About AMR File Format
AMR, the Adaptive Multi-Rate audio codec, is used for compressing the audio of the human speech without losing the clarity of the speech. It is optimized for storing spoken audio and is used by many 3G cell phones to store voice recordings, which include MMS messages.
AMR files may be saved in either the AMR-NB (Narrowband) or AMR-WB (Wideband) format. The AMR file can be open by a professional AMR file player like VLC, 5KPlayer, Audacity, etc.
Part 4. Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which player can play AMR files?
There are many AMR file player you can choose from to play AMR files, including 5KPlayer, VLC, Groove Music, QuickTime, Audacity, AMR Player, etc.
2. Will VLC play AMR files?
Yes. VLC media player can play AMR audio files.
3. How do I play an AMR file on Windows 10?
To play AMR file on Windows 10, you can use the built-in app Groove Music. Also, you can make use of the third-party AMR player like 5KPlayer.
4. Can Windows Media Player play AMR files?
No, Windows Media Player does not support playing the AMR files. You either need to convert the file to a compatible format or download a AMR codec pack to make the AMR files playable by Windows Media Player.
5. Can iPhone play AMR files?
No. The Android and Blackberry devices can play AMR files. To play AMR on iPhone, you have to install a third-party compatible payer app.
6. How do I convert AMR files to MP3?
VLC media player can convert AMR files to MP3.
Step 1. Free download VLC, install and launch it.
Step 2. Click on the "Media" menu to select the "Convert/Save" option.
Step 3. When a new window pops up, click the "Add" button to add an AMR file. Then, click the "Convert / Save" button.
Step 4. In the "Profile" drop-down menu, simply select the MP3 option.
Step 5. Click "Save", and then hit "Start" button to convert AMR file to MP3 format with VLC.