Should I Download Popcorn Time for Windows 10/11 or Try Alternatives?
Many movie addicts choose to download Popcorn Time on Windows 10. But the truth is Popcorn Time, for not only Windows 10 users but also mobile users, has some disadvantages and drawbacks, including:
- An android emulator is needed to get Popcorn Time on Windows 10 or other PC.
- Sometimes, Popcorn Time is not working due to in most case the domain suspension. >> See fixes
- The latest Corona version 0.4 of Popcorn Time doesn't show default subtitles & movie poster or it removes your favorites.
- Get errors like Popcorn Time has no sound with different reasons.
- Popcorn Time is a free software BitTorrent client to stream movies from torrent sites, more and more of which, however, including YTS/YIFY, Kickass and ExtraTorrent are shut down. >> See fixes
- Popcorn Time has been shut down for several weeks after the lawsuit from movie studios. Though the official Github repo is still online and gets updated, it's reported that the Github repo would also be offline if the movie studios win their case.
- For personal use, one may has the threat to lose internet connection because of the torrent IP tracking.
Therefore, before or after downloading popcorn time for Windows, people stand a good chance in want of replacing Popcorn Time for safer and easier movie streaming, downloading and enjoyment. We select out the following Popcorn Time for Windows 10 Alternatives, specifically, the apps that are like Popcorn Time most, for you.
Top 7 Alternatives to Popcorn Time for Windows 10/11
1. Netflix App ($7.99/$9.99/$11.99 per Month, First Month Free)
Netflix app is universally recognized as the one that resembles and superior to Popcorn Time app most, especially for its streaming feature. Award-winning TV shows, movies, documentaries are provided in this platform, with the most welcomed preponderance -- ads-free. As an American entertainment company, Netflix covers not only media streaming, but also DVD and Blu-ray rental service, expanding the business in more than 190 countries, with about 100 million subscribers worldwide. HD and Ultra HD movies and TV shows are available on Netflix, allowed to be streamed instantly. Currently, its new product Netflix party app also wins a wide popularity with new feature to let you watch the same movie with 10 friends and chat simultaneously. All these merits make it the best way to entertain yourself during COVID-19 isolation.
- The best Popcorn Time alternative only can be downloaded to watch offline on Windows 10, along with limited number of devices.
- Very limited number of new motion picture sources, especially, few Hollywood/Bollywood movies are available in time.
- Not all content available in HD or Ultra HD.
2. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe ($29.95 for Lifetime Use)
Unlike Netflix, it focuses on online video downloading and conversion. No matter what movie or TV show you find on the internet, you can download it through WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe, only if the website where you find the movie is supported by the Windows 10 app.
Supporting HD and Ultra HD, it can download 1080p or 4K movies online, be the formats MKV, MP4, MOV, H.265, M2TS, AVCHD, MOD, AVI, WMV, FLV, WMV, VOB, RMVB, WebM or whatever. In addition to online video download, its main characteristic also lies in converting videos to fit all kinds of devices and players, including iPhone 12/11/Pro/Max, iPad Pro, Apple TV, Android, Xbox One, PS5/4, VLC, WMP and so on, with 420+ built-in preset device profiles.
It does not provide movie or shows source directly.
- Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32 & 64 bit)
- Mac OS X Tiger to El Capitan & macOS (Big Sur)
Download the Popcorn Time Alternative on Windows or Mac:
3. Amazon Prime Video ($8.99/Month)
Amazon Prime Video is the entertainment app developed by Amazon, and is probably the most popular streaming video service after Popcorn Time. The app, though unavailable for Windows 10 or eariler versions, is available to use on your PC using a web browser. It is said to consist of 4 times more Movies and TV shows than Netflix. It includes Hollywood and Bollywood movies and TV, Amazon exclusives like The Grand Tour, The Man in the High Castle, and Emmy award winner Tumble Leaf for streaming and downloading.
In the past, the Popcorn Time alternative is defined as a Hollywood movie aggregation, but now, it has shifted to an original programming distributor.
- As of some week in 2016, it has 4,335 movies and 1,197 shows. Compared with 6,494 movies and 1,609 TV shows in U.S. catalog in January 2014, there are a 33% drop in films and a 26% in television shows. More blockbusters are no longer available.
- The Popcorn Time alternative for Windows 10 is a Hosted Web App with minimal Windows 10 features.
4. 5KPlayer (Totally Free)
5KPlayer is a free and clean media player app that is popular among Windows 10 users. For replacing Popcorn Time on Windows 10 in some aspects, it allows users to download and stream videos and movies from 1000+ online websites, including the most popular movie hosting sites like Dailymotion, Vimeo, Vevo, Metacafe, Crackle, Stupidvideos and Youku. Better still, it plays almost all videos (movie torrents) in 4K/5K/8K/1080p & DVDs. To make it clear, its main features include:
- Download videos and audio from many other online sites.
- Play any videos, audios, DVDs and radio (supporting H.264/H.265, VP8/VP9, etc).
- Support AirPlay streaming, mirroring and screen reording.
It does not host any movie source itself; it is a tool to get and play them.
5. ShowBox (Free)
ShowBox is another alternative app for Popcorn Time. ShowBox app (APK file download for Android), developed by Showbox Mediaplex Co., Inc. in South Korea, is a great trend that taken over the internet, featuring streaming or downloading free movies and TV shows. Differently, it is also cloud-based professional video creation portal.
- Pitifully, ShowBox is not a convenient Popcorn Time alternative for Windows 10. To get ShowBox for PC, you have to firstly download and install an Android emulator such as BlueStacks and Andy.
- Showbox is not officially available for download on the Google Play store.
6. Movie Box (Free)
It is controversial whether Movie Box can take the place of Popcorn Time in some ways, but it is a famous cross-platform app that enables users to watch movies/TV shows on Portable devices and Windows 10 just like Popcorn Time does.
- It requires a third-party application to install.
- The version for Windows 10 needs the installing of an app emulator like Bluestacks.
As an alternative to Popcorn Time for Windows 10, Stremio is a video streaming app watching movies, series, and YouTube channels instantly, and a media center to organize your favorite videos. To make it simpler, Stremio is a torrent client with a video player, with which can you watch movies in HD with subtitles, and easily cast any file to TV through DLNA, Chromecast, etc.
- About the safety, some say yes, some say no.
- Stremio gets errors frequently, such as the Android app won't show episodes and seasons, no streams available, unstable issues, subtitles out of sync.
About Popcorn Time (on Wikipedia): This free and multi-platform BitTorrent client provides an alternative to subscription-based video streaming services (such as Netflix).