If you have tried all solutions but still no luck, click here: The solution most recommended by us [85%]
Many users have reported issues trying ripping DVDs in MakeMKV - DVDs won't load/open/read/recognize in MakeMKV, "no disc inserted" error, playlist Obfuscation/fake playlist, etc. It's possibly a problematic disc, like dust, scratches, an outdated firmware/hardware, copy protection methods MakeMKV can't handle. Check typical cases and figure out troubleshooting tips below.
DVD Won't Read/Open/Load/Recognize in MakeMKV
Q: I bought a copy of Archer Season 9 and tried to rip it using MakeMKV 1.15.1 and 1.14.5. The DVD could not be opened.
1. Try playing the DVD on your computer to see if the disc works fine. If not, it may be the disc issue.
2. Clean the disc with a soft cloth or fix it if the DVD gets scratched or damaged.
3. Replace your DVDs with a new one when MakeMKV and VLC media player or other DVD players fail to open and read.
4. Try other DVD decrypter programs, for example, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.
MakeMKV Scsi error also means there's a DVD reading error in MakeMKV. If you are encountering MakeMKV Scsi error such as ILLEGAL REQUEST: READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR, MEDIUM ERROR: L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR, HARDWARE ERROR: TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT, learn how to fix MakeMKV Scsi error when loading DVDs.
MakeMKV Random "No disc inserted" Error
Q:Sometimes, I get a "No disc inserted" error on a random disc, like "Hairspray", and "Paul Blart Mall Cop". Discs are not noticeably scratched or damaged. MakeMKV successfully recognizes the disc while opening it because it shows the title at the beginning.
When you insert a disc, it is recognized by the drive, then the operating system, then MakMKV loads it. No disc inserted or found means the first or second steps failed.
1. Make sure the disc is clean. Scratched or damaged DVDs are unreadable to the drive or operating system.
2. Perform a reboot, restart MakeMKV to see if it works.
3. Try using a red laser DVD player. Many users said a red laser DVD player worked.
MakeMKV Stops Ripping DVDs Halfway
Q: I've been ripping my DVD for my plex server just fine for the most part but some discs will just go down to kilobytes read speed about halfway through. It just stopped all of a sudden for seemingly no reason. Is there any fix that I can employ?
1. Check the entire surface of the disc to see if there's any scratch. If yes, use the steps to fix a scratched or damaged DVD. MakeMKV may fail to the bad sector and stop all of a sudden.
2. Wait for a while patiently. The ripping speed typically goes like this: beginning > end > middle. Sometimes, the drive and operating system are struggling with the middle part.
3. Restart the DVD ripping considering the possibility of an overheating driver.
4. Update your firmware. Old firmware would have stability issues and bugs.
MakeMKV Playlist Obfuscation/ Fake Playlist
Q: In the case of The Expendables, when I insert the disc, it shows probably 40 titles or so, only 2 of which are of decent size. There is some fake playlist is that doesn't have any HD Audio tracks.
Some DVDs such as Lionsgate DVDs employee playlist obfuscation/fake playlist as a copy protection method. To fix MakeMKV fake playlist or playlist obfuscation, try our guide on how to select the right title in MakeMKV.
MakeMKV Not Working on New Discs
Q: I just tried four new discs...Joker, Maleficent Mistress of Evil, Ad Astra, and Hustlers. I just got Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and it worked fine. What might be going on that new discs are all failing for me?
Troubleshooting tips:New DVDs may adopt new copy-protect tech that MakeMKV fails to handle. You can try other programs such as WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, Handbrake, to decrypt new DVD releases, and other DVDs MakeMKV cannot rip.
If MakeMKV still won't rip DVDs, Download WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to decrypt, rip, and digitize your DVDs, including scratched DVDs.Easy & fast
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum - rip, digitize, and backup any DVD
- Rip any DVD from Disney, Sony, Lionsgate, Paramount, etc. including scratched or damaged discs.
- Remove copy protection schemas, region codes, CSS, UOPs, APS, Sony ARccOS, Disney X-project, etc.
- Rip DVDs to MP4, AVI, MOV etc. for playing on phones, tablets, PC, Mac, TV, game console, etc.
- Support hardware acceleration and multi-core CPU processing. Rip an ISO Image file within 5 minutes.
Download WinX DVD Ripper Platinum for Windows to decrypt/rip/copy DVD without errors
Download WinX DVD Ripper for Mac to decrypt/rip/copy DVD without errors