Updated by Donna Peng - Contact Author
If you're seeking for an easy solution, click here: The solution most recommended by us [85%]
Why can't play DVD on PC? How to solve "DVD not playing on PC"? Get all answers below.
"DVD will not play on PC" arises quite frequently. Insert a DVD into the DVD-ROM, and wait for DVD loading and playing in anticipation. However, to your disappointment, your PC seems unable to play DVD for you. Typically, it shows green screen in your media player or get only sound. How could this happen? How to get it fixed? As a matter of fact, the solutions vary with the causes. You are not the first person to encounter this issue, and will not be the last one. And you are lucky to find this article which will explain why PC can't play DVD in details and help you play self-burned DVDs and purchased commercial DVDs on Windows PC.
Why Can't Play DVD on PC? How to Solve It?
PC computer will not play DVD for a variety of reasons. And here, we will list the most common causes and the corresponding solutions to have a try.
- Possible reason 1: Your disc or DVD drive is disabled.If you find a DVD will not play on PC, please check if your DVD-ROM drive is enabled or your disc is undamaged. When your disc is corrupted or inserted improperly, DVD player/drive won't detect the disc. Similarily, when your DVD drive is disabled, you'll experience an DVD drive not working issue on Windows 10/8/7. No matter what the cases, DVD failed to play on Windows PCs.
- Possible Reason 2: Your PC DVD-ROM drive doesn't support the type of DVD.Some DVD-ROM drives can read both DVD+R and DVD-R discs. However, some DVD-ROM drives can only read one of them. If you burn a DVD with a type of recordable DVD that the DVD-ROM drive does not support, the DVD will not play on your PC.
- Possible Reason 3: Display screen resolution doesn't match with the DVD.If this is the case, you need to change your PC screen resolution to be compatible with the DVD you want to play: Start -> Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Adjust screen resolution. You may need to change your display resolution to 640x480 or 720x480.
- Possible Reason 4: The region code of your DVD player and drive is not matchable with DVD disc. Generally speaking, the majority PC DVD players can only play DVDs that are encoded for the same region where the PC was sold. Region 1 DVD players can only play region 1 DVD discs and you have to make your DVD player region free for a successful playback. To put it simply, if you purchase a DVD in one country and you are unlikely to play it on a PC from a different country. If DVD won't play back on PC issue really results from DVD region code, we can only set the DVD aside and do not expect to watch the DVD video? Actually not. You can turn to third-party software to handle it.
How to Fix DVD Not Playing Error on PC? The Easiest Solution Rip Region-locked DVD as digital files in MP4, AVI etc. using a powerful fast DVD ripper.
WinX DVD Ripper is such a fast DVD ripper which supports for ripping DVDs locked by all region codes and copy protection schemes to MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP, MOV and more at a lightning speed. After converting DVDs to digital videos, you can play DVD videos on PC even without DVD players. This is another popular workaround to fix "DVD will not play on PC due to incompatible region code" issue. And don't worry this action will lower the video audio quality. Thanks to the High Quality Engine, it can output videos reserving the original video audio quality. And with the help of "Yadif Double Frames" De-interlacing Engine, you can change the DVD interlaced scanning mode to progressive scan to enhance the output video effect.
Additional visible features: 1:1 clone DVD to ISO file/DVD folder; copy DVD main/full title content as MPEG2 file; convert DVD to iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows device and more; extract DVD audio.
WinX DVD Ripper - Rip DVD to Digital Formats within 1 Click, 3 Steps and 5 Minutes
- Deliver a super fast speed, merely 5 mins to complete DVD ripping with GPU acceleration enabled.
- Decrypt any DVDs, no matter it's protected with region code, CSS, Sony ArccOS, Disney DRM etc.
- No.1 disc support: rip new/old/damaged DVDs, multi-titles, kids/workout discs etc. with ease.
- 350+ preset profiles available, including MP4, MKV, Apple, Android, Windows, TV, Xbox One etc.
- Easiest to operate: Load DVD - Choose format - Done! No quality loss.
Download WinX DVD Ripper for Windows to rip DVD to MP4, MOV etc.
Download WinX DVD Ripper for Mac to digitize DVD to any formats.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Solution 2: Apply A Region-free DVD Player to Play DVDs from All Regions on Windows PC.
5KPlayer is professional DVD player software. Apart from playing home-made DVDs, it can also play DVDs with region code 1/2/3/4/5/6. With this tool, you will never meet "DVD will not play on PC owning to unsupported region code". Moreover, it is able to play DVDs encrypted by copy protection schemes like CSS, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney X-project DRM, etc. In addition to support previous Windows OS like Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 5KPlayer is also workable on Windows 10, acting as a Windows Media Center alternative for DVD playback. And the Deinterlacing feature helps convert interlaced scanning DVD movie to progressive scanning and thus delivers high video quality. Meanwhile, it can play ISO image file and DVD folder.
5KPlayer bonus features: free download videos/songs from 1000+ online video sites; play videos audios in any file format; convert videos to MP3, AAC, MP4; stream videos audios for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV; play radios in BBC, Heart, Capital, etc.