A great number of people are tempted to download Windows 10 and free upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 due to significant improvement, brilliant new features (Microsoft Edge browser, Cortana, Universal App Store). Unfortunately, some problems may emerge while installing windows 10 as following:
- When I tried to install Windows 10, it gave an error: "We ran an installation error. This might be because your PC doesn't meet the system requirements".
- I had Windows 7 and got access to Windows 10. It started to install but went to boot and restarted until it finally reverted back to Windows 7.
If you are experiencing the same Windows 10 install problems, read on and grab solutions to fix 'Windows 10 won't/fails to install' errors.
We should inform Windows Media Center users who determine to install Windows 10 that this media software is removed from Windows 10. For DVD playback, you can use Windows 10 DVD ripper, for example WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to convert DVD movies to MP4, AVI, WMV etc, for watching movies on Windows 10 PC, tablets and phones hassle-free.
The causes of Windows Installation problems are varied. Some are easy to settle while some others need more advanced settings. Here, we gather the most common possibilities of windows 10 install failed and give troubleshoots to handle these installing issues.
1. Your computer is not qualified to install Windows 10.
If you want to install Windows 10, please make sure your computer exactly meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 10.
• Processor: 1 GHz or faster processor or SoC
• RAM: 1 GB for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
• Hard Disk Space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS
• Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
• Display: 800x600
• OS for Windows 10 Free Upgrade: Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update
• Check Windows 10 upgrade compatibility first
Almost all Windows 7/8.1 PCs accord with the above standards except hard disk space which may be filled with countless stuff. If you find that there are insufficient storages for Windows 10 installation, please delete unnecessary files, for example old movies, videos, music, pictures, programs or move them to external devices to free up space.
2. Damaged ISO install file prevents Windows 10 from installing.
Damaged or corrupt ISO install file is the probable reason producing Windows 10 install problems. We recommend you to free download Windows 10 ISO file from Windows official download page instead of third party software download sites.
Once you got the Windows 10 installation file, burn it to a blank DVD or create a bootable copy on USB thumb drive. Next, do a clean install for Windows 10 from DVD disc or USB flash drive follow the steps below.
• Insert disc or USB to your computer and then restart it.
• Press any key if there is a prompt given to access to Install Windows Page.
• Click Install now to begin Windows 10 installation process following instructions.
3. Hardware compatibility leads Windows 10 won't install.
Error 1: You may install Windows 10 to wrong partition, for example System Reserved partition (Drive 0 Partition 1 by default).
Fix: Generally speaking, an additional partition will be created during Windows 10 setup if you are doing a clean install or dual booting. Choose this new created partition replacing the system reserved one.
If you don't get the new partition, try to enable the original disk's controller. Root your computer and enter BIOS by pressing DEL, F1 or F2. Check Sata Controller. If it is set to IDE, change it to AHCI and save the settings. Run the setup again.
Error 2: CPU is not compatible with Windows 10
The error code 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 may be shown when you upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to 10. It is usually caused by CPU incompatibility.
Fix: CPU of your computer should support Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX and SSE2. If you have gotten an entitled CPU but still fails to install Windows 10. Please enable NX feature. Enter BIOS, go to Security tab. Find NX flag and enable it. Save settings and restart your computer. Try to install again.
4. Windows 10 fails to install using Windows Update.
Follow steps to fix Windows 10 install problems when upgrading via Windows Update.
• Press Windows Key + X and then select "Command Prompt (Admin)" from the menu.
• Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
• Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder by typing the commands in the Command Prompt. Press ENTER.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
• Restart BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services by the following commands in Command Prompt. Press ENTER.
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
• Close Command Prompt by typing Exit and then restart computer.
5. Windows 10 install problems may happen because of software or other situations.
If you determine to upgrade Windows 10 from Windows 7/8.1, please do some preparations as below for a success installation.
• Disable Antivirus software.
• Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader).
• Disconnect from the Internet (both LAN and Wi-Fi) if you are installing .ISO file.
• Disconnect from the Internet LAN or Wi-Fi when the download reaches 100% if updating through Windows Update.
• Switch to a local account if you are connected to a domain.
• Disconnect external devices (USB keys, external hard disc, printers etc.) attached to PC.
If the above tips do not solve your Windows 10 install problems, please go to Windows forum to post your issues and get help.
Notice: 1 year free upgrade from Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 expired on July 29, 2016. If you missed this free upgrade chance, you need to pay $119.99 for Windows 10 Home or $199.99 for Windows 10 Pro to experience the latest Windows operation system.
Highy Recommended Software for Windows 10 - WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
• Rip/convert any DVDs to MP4, AVI, WMV, etc, on Windows 10 with high-fidelity images and audio at a high speed.
• Rip/convert DVDs to Windows Phone (10), iPhone, iPad, Android, Xbox, PS3/4 etc, for watching DVD movies on the move.
• Copy DVD to ISO image, VIDEO_TS folder or backup full/main title to a single MPEG2 file for long-time storage.
Note: The names of other companies, products and services are the property of their respective owners. Any logo, trademark and image relating to other companies that may be contained wherein are applied in the internet and are not used for commercial use. Digiarty's Software is not developed by or affiliated with such companies.