How to Convert GoPro 4K HEVC/H.265 Videos to H.264
Convert GoPro 4K HEVC/H.265 Videos to H.264 for Easier Playback and Editing
GoPro has added HEVC support since HERO6 Black to shoot 4K 60 fps footage and 120/240 fps slow motion. Now GoPro is able to record 5.3K, 5K, 4K high-resolution videos at 50% bit rate. Through HEVC, users can record a GoPro video with smoother appearance but smaller size. However, HEVC doesn't win a so wide compatibility as H.264 and requires newer system/hardware. For example, there are errors like:
- GoPro Hero 10 videos (HEVC 5K) play choppy in DaVinci Resolve 17 and stutter badly in the Edit tab.
- The 4k60fps H.265/HEVC videos from GoPro HERO7 play only 1-2 seconds and then screen turn to black or grey with sound only.
- The Gopro videos won't play on my Windows 10 PC. I have downloaded all the codecs advised online but still no luck.
In order to play or edit GoPro HEVC videos without error, you have to convert GoPro HEVC videos to H.264.
Convert GoPro 5K/4K HEVC Videos to H.264 Fast without Quality Loss
Free download the best GoPro HEVC video converter- WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- Convert GoPro 4K HEVC videos to H.264 or other popular format like MPEG-4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV etc, for almost all devices, websites and video players/editors with ease.
- About 5x faster Gopro HEVC converting speed accelerated by Intel/NIVIDIA/AMD hardware acceleration. Convert GoPro 4K HEVC to H.264 without freezes, high CPU usage, overheating, etc.
- High Quality Engine is built-in to ensure the best output quality. No visual quality loss after converting the 5K/4K GoPro HEVC videos into H.264.
When Should You Convert GoPro HEVC/H.265 Videos to H.264
1. The computer or device is no available for HEVC.
At present, newer operation systems - like Windows 10, macOS Mojave, iOS 13, Android 5.0 or above - have natively accepted HEVC. But it doesn't mean that every computer or device running on those systems can well work with GoPro HEVC. Powerful processors, Intel Kaby Lake, Apple A10 or other newer chips, should be included on the computer or device to play or edit GoPro HEVC normally.
2. The editor or player can't handle HEVC well.
Almost all popular editors or players have been upgraded to support HEVC so far. Some people still uses older version which may cause that GoPro HEVC video can't import or load, for example, Premiere Pro not importing 4k HEVC properly. And, our personal experience indicates that jerky/choppy playback happen frequently even though we get the latest version of some HEVC-supported programs, especially on GoPro Quik.
- I'm using a Hero 6 and an Intel i7 8700K on Win10. According to Quik overview, HEVC should run. Unfortunately, Quik does not show any videos in HEVC format.
- GoPro Quik isn't able to playback any of my gopro hero 6 new record settings such as 4k 60, 2.7k 120 and 1080p 240 (can only see thumbnails or black screen, all other record settings work). I have a new 15' 2016 Mac pro, HIGH sierra installed and all updates.
3. GoPro App has some limitations to view HEVC videos on mobile.
GoPro has listed some limitations of viewing HEVC videos on all iOS & Android devices.
- No matter whether the device supports HEVC or not, GoPro App doesn't allow you to view the video while recording. In other words, live view is impossible.
- No matter whether the device supports HEVC or not, GoPro App doesn't allow you to view a HEVC video stored on SD card.
- 4K 4:3 playback is unavailable via GoPro App in Android. QuikStories offers an auto convert for playing successfully in iOS.
H.264 is the most compatible format with almost all current computers, devices, programs and websites. Through converting GoPro HEVC to H.264, we can play/edit videos on older computer and devices more smoothly as well as upload online more quickly.
3 Clicks to Convert GoPro HEVC/H.265 Videos to H.264
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe, a versatile video processor, can work as a professional GoPro HEVC converter offering the easiest way to change the video format from HEVC to H.264. No matter what HEVC files you recorded on GoPro, 4K 60fps, 4K 4:3, 2.7K 120fps, 1080P 240fps, it can well accept and convert to H.264. Generally speaking, resolution, frame rate, aspect ratio will be kept as original. You are also allowed to adjust the parameters to make them better fit with your display.
Besides H.264, it is capable of converting GoPro HEVC videos to AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV and more. Built-in hundreds of profiles, GoPro HEVC videos can be directly converted to iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Mobile, Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Webs (YouTube, Facebook etc.), Programs (iMovie, Final Cut Pro, iTunes) with perfectly pre-made settings.
It boasts fast conversion speed with integration of Hardware Acceleration (Intel/NVIDIA/AMD). It uses GPUs to handle video encoding, decoding and processing while freeing up CPU for other tasks. Besides highly efficient performance, you can also enjoy an output file with super great quality (almost close to original).
Download and install this GoPro video converter on your computer. Then, follow the steps to transcode GoPro HEVC/H.265 videos to H.264.
Step 1. Launch WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe and Click Video button to access Video Converter window. Click +Video to import a single GoPro HEVC video or multiple videos.
Step 2. Move to the bottom of the interface. Click Video tab and select MP4 H264 as output format. Also, you can choose TV H.264, iPhone H264 or Android H264 if you want to play GoPro HEVC video on your TV, iPhone, or Android device.
Tip: WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe offers hundreds of output profiles including general videos, devices, webs, DVD and more. If you would like to convert GoPro HEVC/H.265 videos to other formats, click Target Format to access to more output options.
Step 3. Click Browse button to define a new destination folder if necessary. And, click RUN button to start GoPro HEVC to H.264 converting. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe will automatically enable hardware acceleration (Intel/NVIDIA/AMD) according to your graphic cards helping deliver a very fast conversion performance.
Still have trouble on how to convert GoPro 4K/slo-mo HEVC videos to H.264, just Mail Us >>