Fix Windows Movie Maker Can't Import/Edit/Recognize MP4 Videos
Ultimate guide on how to import/convert MP4 to Windows Movie Maker. Fix "Can't import MP4 to Windows Movie Maker" or "Can't edit MP4 in Windows Movie Maker" issue in this tutorial.
Common questions about Windows Movie Maker MP4 problems:
1. I would like to import some MP4 files into Windows Movie Maker and do some edits to them, but Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize these MP4 videos. How to fix this? Thanks.
2. Windows Movie Maker won't open/play MP4 files. Do I need to convert MP4 to a format compatible with WMM? Or if possible, is there a way to skip the conversion step to edit MP4 video directly?
3. Windows Movie Maker doesn't recognize/accept my MP4 video files. How can I edit MP4 in Windows Movie Maker?
4. Windows Movie Maker is no longer available for download on Windows 10/8/7.
Recode some MP4 videos with cameras, camcorders, phones or tablets, or download some MP4 movies/videos from online sites and want to import them into Microsoft free Windows Movie Maker to edit and add some effects to the MP4 video? However, only to find that Windows Movie Maker do not recognize the imported MP4 file. This post gives detailed explanations and solutions.
Convert MP4 to Windows Movie Maker or Edit MP4 Video Directly with
- Convert video: Convert MP4 to Windows Movie Maker WMV with original quality. Convert MKV, HEVC/H.265, M2TS, AVCHD, MOD, AVI, WMV, MOV, VOB, FLV, and more at superfast speed.
- Edit video: Cut, crop, rotate, flip, merge video. Add effects/watermark/subtitles to video. Adjust video/audio settings.
- Record video: Capture screen video with audio. Freely select video recording area. Record video with web-cam.
- Download video: Free download 8K/4K/1080p/720p videos, moves, MP3 songs from YouTube and 1000+ sites.
- Convert DVD: Convert any home-made or commercial DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, H.264, HEVC, MKV, iPhone (11), etc.
- Intel/Nvidia/AMD hardware acceleration is supported which ensures fastest video decoding/processing/encoding speed.
Part 1: Windows Movie Maker Supported Formats
Part 2: Best MP4 Converter, Editor and Movie Maker for Windows (10)
Part 3: How to Convert MP4 to Windows Movie Maker for Editing
Part 4: How to Edit MP4 Movie/Video Without Converting
Figure out beforehand: Windows Movie Maker supported formats
If you search Windows Movie Maker compatible video formats online, you would find that many articles saying that WMM doesn't support MP4 file. Is that so? According to Microsoft official site, Windows Movie Maker supported file types include the following, but it also states some notes in regards to Windows Movie Maker MP4 compatibility you should be aware.
Windows Movie Maker supported video/audio files are displayed on the right:
Notes about Windows Movie Maker MP4:
1. MPEG 4 video files with AAC audio can be used if you're using Movie Maker on a Windows 7 computer.
2. Some MPEG 4 video files can be used when you're using Movie Maker on a computer running Windows Vista if the necessary audio and video codecs are installed.
3. Container formats such as MP4, 3GP, FLV, MOV and AAC are also supported if the necessary codecs are installed and the computer system is running Windows 7 or later.
4. Latest version Windows Movie Maker 2012 introduced the default ability to export in H.264/MP4 format, replacing WMV (but still can be used).
5. Windows Movie Maker was officially discontinued and removed for download on January 10, 2017. (Now you may recur to other top Windows (10) movie maker programs to make MP4 movie or edit MP4 video file.)
By browsing the notes above, we may deduce some possible reasons why you can't import MP4 to Windows Movie Maker. Your MP4 video should contain AAC audio and your computer should have installed the necessary video and audio codecs, if not, WMM may not accept the MP4 file and you can't edit MP4 in Windows Movie Maker. By the way, this is also the reason that sometimes you cannot import HEVC to Premiere Pro, or import MKV to Adobe Media Encoder.
If you do not want to trouble to install codecs on computer, you can turn to a reliable video converter to convert MP4 to WMV or AVI to import to Windows Movie Maker, or turn to another stellar movie making/editing program compatible with Windows 10/8/7 to make/edit MP4 movie video directly.
2021 Best Movie Maker for Windows (10) Free Download to Convert/Edit MP4 Movie/Video
To fix Windows Movie Maker MP4 import/edit issue, WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is top recommended.
1. You can use it to flawlessly convert MP4 to Windows Movie Maker WMV, AVI or other supported formats.
2. Its video edit function lets you cut, crop, expand, rotate, merge (MP4) video, add effects/watermark/subtitles to (MP4) video.
3. Enable you to make video by recording computer screen or webcam video in MP4 format.
Unique powerful features:
1. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe, as a professional top video converter, helps you convert almost any video like MKV, HEVC/H.265, M2TS, AVCHD, MOD, HD camcorder videos, Blu-ray videos, and standard AVI, MPEG, MP4, WMV, MOV, VOB, FLV, RMVB, and more at ultrafast speed with original quality.
2. You can use it to free download 8K/4K/1080p/720p HD movies/videos, like 2021 Best Bollywood/Hollywood movies from YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo and 1000+ sites, in MP4, FLV, 3GP, etc. And convert the downloaded MP4 video to Windows Movie Maker compatible formats for editing.
3. Fast convert DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, MKV, HEVC, iPhone (X), iPad, Android Samsung Galaxy S9, etc. Support all kinds of DVDs incl. protected (Disney) DVD.
Free download and install WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe (clean and safe) and continue to find out its how-to guides for converting MP4 to Movie Maker and editing MP4 movie video directly.
Solution 1: Convert MP4 to Windows Movie Maker with MP4 Converter
After you download and install WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe, the best MP4 converter for Windows (10), launch it.
Step 1: Add MP4. Launch WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe and click "Video" button. Click "+Video" icon on the tool bar to select and add source MP4 video files from computer.
Step 2: Select output. Choose WMV, AVI or other Windows Movie Maker supported formats in the Output Profile window.
Step 3: Convert MP4 to Movie Maker. Click "Browse" to set a destination folder to store the converted video. Hit "RUN" to start converting MP4 to WMV, AVI, etc. to import to Windows Movie Maker.
Then you can add the converted MP4 video to Windows Movie Maker for editing without downloading any codec.
Solution 2: Edit MP4 Movie Video Directly with Best MP4 Movie Editor for Windows (10)
If you don't want to trouble so much to fix Windows Movie Maker MP4 incompatible issue and search for a feasible way to edit MP4 movie video without converting, WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe also comes to help as a top-notch MP4 editor.
Step 1: Import MP4 footage. Run WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe and click "Video" button on the main UI. Tap "+Video" button on the upper-left of the program to add MP4 files into it.
Step 2: Specify output. You can still keep MP4 as the output format or choose other preferred formats from the Target Format column.
Step 3: Edit MP4. Click "Trim" icon to trim a part of MP4 movie/video by freely setting a Start Time and End Time or drag the two green knobs; click "Crop & Expand" to remove black bar or unwanted areas; click "General" > "Rotate" to rotate/flip (MP4) video; click "Subtitle" to add external SRT subtitles to the video, etc.
Tip: For more video editing functions, you can click "ToolBox" icon at the bottom to deshake, denoise, split, merge, mirror video, convert video to GIF, capture snapshots of favorite video scenes, etc.
Step 4: Run editing. Start editing MP4 movie/video with the best Windows Movie Maker alternative by clicking "RUN" button.
Having read this far, hope you have fixed Windows Movie Maker can't import/edit/recognize/accept MP4 movies/videos error, and get some solutions.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe - 2021 Best Windows 10 Movie Maker/Editor, Video Converter
• Convert video: Convert almost any video, convert MKV, HEVC/H.265, M2TS, AVCHD, AVI, MPEG, MP4, WMV, MOV, VOB, FLV, etc. with ease.
• Download video for free: Free download 8K/4K/1080p/720p HD movies/videos, MP3 songs from YouTube, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Facebook and 1000+ sites.
• Edit video: Cut, trim, crop, merge, rotate, flip video, and add effects/watermark/subtitles to video. Adjust video aspect ratio, resolution, frame rate, bit rate and more.
• Convert DVD: Convert DVD to digital video as MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, MKV, H.264, HEVC, etc. Support all kinds of DVD incl. protected DVD.
• Record screen/webcam: Support record computer screen. Freely crop screen area to record. Record webcam video.