Even there are new services like Apple TV Plus and Disney Plus jumping in on the video streaming market, Netflix is still the king of 4K content streaming for its huge Ultra HD streaming movies and shows resources. However, streaming Netflix 4K movies becomes not that easy during since Netflix sometimes downscales resolution from HD to SD in Europe to save Internet from crashing as coronavirus ramps up at-home streaming. Does this mean that you can't streaming 4K from Netflix? No really.
The media provider gives you the best bang for your buck. For all the Netflix 4K streaming requirements, bandwidth, pricing, 4K titles, and more, read on below. Follow to watch 4K movies and TV shows on Netflix smoothly.
Netflix 4K Ultra HD Streaming Requirements
To watch 4K movies or TV shows on Netflix, you have to meet the following requirements.
1. The Netflix Premium plan is required for accessing Ultra HD content. Note that only HD is available for Netflix Standard subscription.
2. 60Hz computer monitors that support 4K UHD or a 4K TV with Netflix app installed. (HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant). The TV should have a built-in HEVC decoder to decode HEVC 4K signal. Many new models from Samsung, LG, Roku, Vizio, Sony, etc. support 4K streaming.
Netflix 4K Streaming compatible devices: TV set-up boxes, digital media receivers, and game consoles that supports streaming Netflix 4K include the following - Apple TV 4K, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, PlayStation 4/PS4 Pro, Xbox One family, Xiaomi Mi Box S, Roku 4, WeTek Play 2, WeTek Hub, WeTek Core.
3. In terms of data and bandwidth needed to stream Netflix in 4K, a steady internet connection speed of at least 25MB per second is recommended for 4K UHD quality. 7GB per hour per device will be used to stream Ultra HD on Netflix.
4. Set the streaming quality to Auto or High.
How Much Does It Cost to Stream Netflix in Ultra HD
The Premium plan priced at $15.99 per month offers access to unlimited material in 4K UHD. Premium subscribers can watch Netflix 4K content on four screens at the same time. While Basic subscribers are restricted to SD, Standard can stream HD when available.
How to Watch 4K Movies/TV Shows on Netflix
To stream Netflix 4K on TV
- Press the HOME button.
- Select the Netflix app and log in to your account.
- Select a Profile and select a movie or TV show available in UHD.
- Click Play and start streaming Netflix 4K video on your Ultra HD TV.
To watch Netflix UHD on computers or tablets
- Go to the website of Netflix, sign in with your account.
- Select a 4K title to play.
Web browsers are limited to Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Microsoft Edge. Or select the Netflix app, sign in, search 4K or Ultra HD, and pick a title to watch on your device. Netflix app supports Windows 8 or later. You can't enjoy 4K on Mac computers. Netflix only lets users stream in up to 1080p on Mac using a Safari browser.
To play Netflix Ultra HD on Android or iPhone iPad
- Download and install the app on your device, tap the app to launch.
- Enter your email address and password to sign in.
- Select 4K under the category menu and pick the title with UHD label to play.
Netflix supports Android 2.3 or later. The latest version of the Netflix app is available on Android mobile devices running Android version 5.0 or later. The latest version of the Netflix app requires iOS 12.0 or later.
How to Find 4K Movies or TV Series to Watch on Netflix
If you meet Netflix 4K streaming requirements, you can directly search 4K or Ultra HD on Netflix to get 4K titles available for streaming or download. If you are browsing for titles, you should see an Ultra HD logo next to the movie or show description on Netflix.
How Can I Tell If Netflix Is Streaming 4K?
After all the things are ready, how to confirm Netflix is actually streaming in 4K? If you meet all these 4K streaming requirements, Netflix will automatically adjust the streaming resolution to Ultra HD accordingly. You can check whether there's an Ultra HD 4K tag instead of HD or SD under the movie title. Some smart UHD TVs display the resolution when hitting the INFO button on the remote.
List of Best 4K Ultra HD TV Shows/Movies on Netflix
Here's a list of most popular 4K movies and TV shows available on Netflix for streaming. The Crown is the best TV series (drama) winner at 2021 Golden Globes, Mank wins a leading six film nominations at the awards. The Crown and Mank are now available to watch in 4K on Netlfix. We'll keep updating the list of top Netflix 4K movies and shows. Also check more top Ultra HD movies on Netflix.
Troubleshoot Netflix Not Streaming in 4K
Many users get trouble in streaming 4K titles on Netflix. Common issues are not seeing 4K content, distorted 4K image, and material not playing in Ultra HD. If you are in the same boat, check the following possible fixes.
- Make sure the title you selected is in true Ultra HD.
- Bandwidth is insufficient, making the video quality lowers down based on the network speed. You should have a steady 25 Mbps speed. Note that video may play at a lower resolution at the beginning after forwarding or rewinding.
- The Netflix plan some users upgraded doesn't come into effect.
- Install HEVC codec on your computer for Ultra HD 4K video playback.
What to Do If You Don't See 4K Ultra HD Titles
Some users don't see the 4K UHD titles on Netflix but they meet Netflix 4K streaming requirements. For those who stream Netflix 4K on Amazon Fire TV/Stick, Netflix offers tips as follows. On Amazon home screen, go to Settings > Display & Sounds > Display > Video Resolution, select Auto (up to 4K Ultra HD), stream Netflix 4K again. On other streaming devices, you can also try to pick the Auto (up to 4K Ultra HD) streaming option when you don't see 4K Ultra HD ttiles on Netflix..
Check More Netflix Errors/Problems of Connection/Streaming.