How to Convert NVR/DVR DAV to MP4 for Later Playback or Editing
DAV file is a video captured through closed-circuit television (CCTV) surveillance cameras and digital video recorders (DVR). No matter you're using surveillance cameras for baby care or the door monitoring, you'll get a pile of .dav files. But the issue comes that you can't open DAV files or import them to video editing software like any other videos. You might have the same experience as below:
- "I am trying to import raw DAV files from a surveillance system into Premier Pro CS6. However, it seems that it doesn't support DAV. What should I do?"
- "I've got several gigs of .dav files. I need to convert them to MP4 or other formats readable on my computer. Is there any DAV converter to recommend?"
If so, how to open DAV files? Why not convert DAV to MP4 for better compatibility? In this article, you can find out some awesome DAV to MP4 converters that are able to change DAV format to MP4 fast and easily.
Table of Contents
Part 2. What If DAV Not Playing on Your Computer?
Part 3. 6 Ways to Convert DAV to MP4 for Better Compatibility
- 1. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- 2. Online-Convert
- 3. VLC
- 4. Video Transcode
- 5. VideoSolo
- 6. Wondershare Uniconverter
Part 1. What Is a DAV File?
A DAV file is a video with a *.dav suffix. DAV is a proprietary encrypted format created by DVR365 digital video recorders, for instance DSD304, DSD308, and DSD316 DVR. DAV is used for recoding video captured by closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras. DAV files are encrypted, to prevent unauthorized users from playing them. This mean that you can only play DAV files using the system that created them. However, there is no rule that has not its exceptions. Some downloadable media players can open DAV files on PCs, and various tools allow users to convert DAV files to more common video formats, such as .MP4.
What you may interested in: More about DAV file, ASF vs DAV
Part 2. What If DAV Not Playing on Your Computer?
Playing HCVR DAV is very challenging, as it is a rather obscure and specific format. Even VLC media player which announces to be compatible with most of the media codecs and video formats out there always has trouble in opening DAV files.
- Hi I downloaded VLC and tried to play my DVD which has CCTV footage on it but it didn't work, I don't know where I am going wrong, it says on your website that VLC will play any dav file but mine don't work.
- I have the same problem on a MAC I dropped the file in and it looked to read it but it shows as zero duration.
If you attempt to drag your DAV files to Windows Media Player, you will receive a prompt saying that "The selected file has an extension (.dav) that is not recognized by Windows Media Player..."
To make your HCVR DAV files recognized by your player, video editor, or other kind of programs, it is suggested to convert DAV to MP4 - a universal file format supported by virtually all devices and applications.
Part 3. 6 Ways Convert DAV to MP4 for Better Compatibility
1. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
Video converter supporting DAV as input is quite limited. WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe is one of few DAV converters for Windows 11, Windows 10 and lower. Its Mac variant supports DAV as well.
This DAV to MP4 converter is accessible for DVR DAV files as well as NVR DAV files, and able to convert them to MP4 format encoded with H.264, MPEG4 and even H.265. You can also convert DAV to 420+ preset output profiles such as DAV to AVI, AVI to MP4, MOV to MP4, MKV to MP4, MP4 to WMV etc. or to directly iPhone 13, Huawei P50 Pro, Windows PC, Macbook and more. Moreover, WinX Video Converter guarentees 47X faster speed for H.264/HEVC decoding with 98% quality reserved.
- It has the widest selection of output profiles.
- It supports 1080p/4K/8K.
- Fast conversion speed with the support of Intel QSV, MMX-SSE, Nvidia CUDA/NVENC, Hyper-threading and AMD 3DNow! tech.
- Export video with 98% quality kept, thanks to the built-in High Quality engine.
- Limited demo version that allows users to convert videos for 5 minutes only for free.
How to Convert DAV to MP4 on PC/Mac
Above all, download the DAV to MP4 converter on your Windows PC or Mac computer. Make sure the right version is chosen. Then install it.
Afterwards, you can follow the guide below to convert DAV file to MP4. The following guide is based on Windows edition. Steps on Mac are pretty much the same.
Step 1. Load source DAV files.
Open the DAV converter you just installed, and then click + Video button at the top left corner to browse and select target DAV videos from your computer hard drive or external device.
Step 2. Choose MP4 as output.
You just need to choose desired MP4 profile from the Output Profile window and click OK. Optionally, you can click the gear icon to adjust video audio parameters (beginners are better not to tweak them), and click Edit to trim, crop, etc. As for the options under preview window, check or uncheck them based on your own needs.
Step 3. Begin converting DAV to MP4.
Pressing RUN at the bottom right will trigger the conversion immediately and meanwhile bring in a smaller panel showing real-time process information.
Video Tutorial on How to Convert DAV to MP4 Format
Online-convert is one of the few online video converters that supports DAV input. It allows you to convert your file from DVR365 video file to MPEG Video Stream easily. Besides simply carry out DAV files convert to MP4, this DAV to MP4 converter online is available to make optional video settings such as change screen size, video bitrate, frame rate, cut video, rotate/flip video, and customize audio etc.
- No need to install any third-party software or plug-ins.
- It's free. Save hard disk space.
- Diverse conversion options.
- Internet connection required.
- Safety and security concerns.
How to Convert .DAV to MP4 Online?
Step 1. Navigate to Online-convert DAV to MPG conversion page. Click 'Choose File' button to import your DAV file from local, Dropbox, Google Drive, or the link.
Step 2. Make sure MP4 is selected as the output format. And optionally, make video settings if necessary.
Step 3. Click the 'Start' button to convert your files from DAV to MP4 format. Then download the output MP4 file.
When you're trying to open DAV files on VLC, it will not be recognized by the default setting. Converting DAV to MP4 is a nice way to make your DAV files playable on VLC. Fortunately, this can be done on VLC. Besides a media player, VLC can also be served as a DAV to MP4 converter for transcode DVR365 file to MP4 format within simple steps.
- Free and open-source. It works on all platforms.
- It provides customizable conversion profiles.
- It allows you to preview the output during conversion.
- Lack of video editing functions.
- Limited output profiles for
How to Convert DAV file to VLC MP4 Format?
Step 1: Open up the VLC media player. Click the 'Media' and choose the'Convert/Save' to enter the video conversion interface.
Step 2. Click the 'Add' button to load your source DAV files. Then click 'Convert/Save' button.
Step 3. Open the drop-down list of the Profile, and choose the 'MP4' as the output format.
Step 4. Click the 'Broswe' button to choose an output folder. Then tap the 'Start' button to activate the DAV to MP4 conversion.
4. Video Transcode
You know, DAV files are usually recorded by CCTV Surveillance Systems. Sometimes, you can find convert tool on the surveillance camera sites. Video Transcode is the one that I picked from RhinoCo. Unlike other flaring video converters, Video Transcode owns a simple interface, allowing users to convert .DAV to .MP4 within 4 steps.
- Free and easy-to-use.
- Estimate the size of the output video.
- Limited output output video profiles.
- The video conversion speed is a little slow
How to Change DAV to MP4 with Video Transcode
Step 1: Open up the ConvertTool.exe and click the 'New Task' button and click on the 'Add' button to add your DAV files.
Step 2: Choose the 'Standard MP4 Format' from the Output Format drop-down list.
Step 3: Click on the 'Change Directory' to specify the output folder path.
Step 4: Now click the 'Start Conversion' icon to start DAV to MP4 conversion.
If you want an advanced video converter to convert DAV to MP4 and 1000+formats with ease, VideoSolo could be a choice. This DAV to MP4 converter provides 6x faster speed for video conversion and maintain the highest possible quality. Also, it has a simplified and beginner-friendly UI, making users fulfill the video conversion without learning curve.
- It has intuitive interface. Easy-to-use.
- Hardware acceleration boosts video conversion to 6x faster speed than normal.
- Support over 200 supported video audio formats and output high-quality video for all the conversion tasks.
- Windows-only. Mac users do not get a chance to enjoy the extra video conversion features concomitant to the multipurpose Video Toolbox.
How to Convert DAV to MP4 by Using VideoSolo Video Converter
Step 1: Install and open up VideoSolo Video Converter. Then click "Add Files" to import your DAV file that needs converting to MP4.
Step 2: Click the drop-down list of "Convert All to" to choose the output format. In the "Video" tab, choose MP4 as the output format for playing on more devices.
Step 3: Click on the "Convert All" button to begin converting DAV to MP4.
6. Wondershare Uniconverter
Wondershare Uniconverter is another DAV to MP4 that works both on Windows and macOS. Users can convert DAV files to MP4 and 1000+ additional file formats by using it. It is also a handy video editor. You can also merge multiple videos quickly with the UniConverter. Better still, it makes DAV file convert to MP4 format with higher quality and faster speed than any online DAV to MP4 tools.
- Convert DAV to MP4 or other 1000+ formats at 120X faster speed than online tools.
- Batch compress DAV and any format files quickly without compromising quality.
- Nice AI-Based features and complete toolbox.
- Limited features for the free version. Always prompt the user to upgrade to the purchased version.
How to Convert DAV to MP4 via Wondershare UniConverter
Step 1. Download the UniConverter on your computer and install it. Click on the UniConverter's icon and run it on your system. Under the Converter section, click the +Add Files button on the top left corner to import the DAV file(s).
Step 2. Click on the Gear icon to access the file settings. Under the Video Tab, select MP4 as the output format.
Step 3. Select the new File Location by navigating to the bottom part of the interface. Click on Convert or Start All to start the process. It will merely take a few minutes for the process to finish.
Part 4. FAQs
1. How can I play a NVR DAV file?
Firstly, you need a DAV file player that supports NVR DAV files, such as SmartPlayer and 5KPlayer. Or else, you have to convert the DAV files to the more compatible MP4 format.
2. Can VLC play DAV files?
Yes. But VLC doesn't support NVR DAV files by default. You have to make some adjustments to make your DAV files accessible.
- Open VLC, and click Tools > Preferences.
- In the newly popped up window, select 'All' under the Show settings section and at the bottom-left corner.
- The Advanced Preferences window will now open, and from the left-side panel, select Demuxers under the Input/Codecs option.
- The right side of the window will now show you Demuxers selected as Automatic by default. Expand the drop-down list and select ' H264 video demuxer' from the list. Click on the Save button to confirm the settings.
Now, you're able to open .dav files on VLC. By the way, once the settings are changed, it'll no longer play regular formats like MP4, MOV, MKV etc. To play such formats again, you need undo the above settings.
3. How to convert DAV to MP4 in mobile?
You can try some DAV to MP4 apps, such as Dav To MP4 - CCTV DVR Converter on Android. Install and open it. Tap the "Select File" button to load your DAV files, and convert. Then you'll get an converted file for sharing into different social media or saving into local internel storage.