Download Windows Movie Maker for Windows 11/10/8.1/7 32 bit 64 bit
Everything You Want to Know about Windows Movie Maker
Microsoft is so considerate of newbie of movie making to endow a pretty handy movie maker along with Windows OS. Does Windows Movie Maker work with Windows 10? How to download movie maker for Windows 10/8.1/7 in 2021? Does a more powerful and user-friendly Windows 10 Movie Maker arrive? How to create a favorable movie or video with Windows Movie Maker for sharing with your friends on YouTube, Facebook and more? Read on and get answers!
Besides Windows Movie Maker, Many People have Downloaded WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- Create personalized videos from photo albums on Windows 10/8/7.
- Embrace a bunch of editing options to trim, crop, merge videos; add subtitles; extract frames from videos etc.
- Convert and compress any video even in 4K to MP4 (H.264/HEVC), AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, MKV, iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Mobile, Apple TV, Sony PlayStation, Xbox etc. Make all your videos compatible with Windows Movie Maker and Windows 10 Video Editor.
- The utilization of level-3 hardware acceleration invokes Intel/NVIDIA/AMD GPUs to speed up video encoding/decoding/editing while keeping original quality.
Table of Contents
Part 1 How Can I Download and Install Windows Movie Maker on Windows 11/10/8/7 for Free?
Microsoft embraces Windows Movie Maker into Windows Essential package. So, to download Windows Movie Maker for Windows 10/8/7, you need to download Windows Essential first.
Step 1. Go to Windows Essential page.
Step 2. Click "Download options" to enter download page. Hit "Download now".
Bad news: Windows Essentials 2012 suite ended support and was not available for download on January 10, 2017.
If you unfortunately missed Windows Essential, the copy of Windows Movie Maker available for Windows 10 can be found on some special sites. The post "Where is Windows Movie Maker in Windows 10" offers some Windows Movie Maker download links:
And, some people may have the original setup and would like to share it with you. The following YouTube video shares a download link for Windows Movie Maker and shows how to download and install it on your Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7.
Be cautious when you try to download Windows Movie Maker from third-party sites, because viruses or hidden costs may be contained in the setup files.
Part 2 How to Create Videos with Windows Movie Maker?
1. Windows Movie Maker Overview
Windows Movie Maker is compatible with Windows 10/8/7. What can this Windows Movie Maker do? Four main features are introduced to you.
- Create photo slide shows and videos. The source imported to Windows Movie Maker can be photos, videos recorded by (high-definition) digital camera, webcam or phone.
- Edit videos. It can trim and split video, speed up/down video, adjust duration of each frame and add animations, visual effects, titles, text, credits etc.
- Add and Edit Music. With Windows Movie Maker, you can add the fitting background music to increase interest for your video. A couple of music editing tools are provided to fade music in/out, cut out parts of music, and set music/audio volume.
- Share Video on Web. It is available to share your video to OneDrive, Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr directly or more sites by installing third-party plug-ins.
2. Windows Movie Maker Supported File Formats
Ahead of video creation, you must learn what types of files can be used in Windows Movie Maker for Windows 10/8/7.
• Windows Movie Maker project files (.mswmm)
• Windows Media Video files (.wmv)
• Windows Media Audio (WMA) files (.asf, .wm, .wma)
• Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) files (.jpg, .jpeg, .jfif, .jpe)
Tip: Due to high compression ratio and compatibility, MPEG-4/H.264 (.mp4) is taken as the best video format and default output video format of Windows Movie Maker.
3. How to Create Video with Movie Maker on Windows 10/8/7?
This example will focus on how to make a video from photos with Windows 10 Movie Maker.
Step 1. Download Movie Maker and install it on Windows 10/8/7.
Launch Windows Movie Maker after it is well installed. You can see the interface which is formed with 3 main parts.
- Menu bar with ribbon of every tab for quick accessing tools and options are located on top.
- Storyboard on the right is used to list and arrange (change order, remove or add new) clips.
- Preview monitor on the left enables you to view effects or transitions on single items or whole projects helping increase charm of your video.
Step 2. Add Photos
Now, tap "Add videos and photos" button under Home menu or "Click here to browse for videos and photos" strings on the right column of main interface to choose photos you want to make a a video from hard drive. After photos are added, a new Edit tab including video tools appears.
Step 3. Make Your Video More Adorable
Immediately, video preview will be shown on the left preview monitor while all the photos you add are listed on storyboard. The next step is to edit video.
Tap one picture and drag it to a more suitable place if the current sequence of pictures is not so good. In addition, quick access tools under Home tab drives you to apply a wonderful AutoMovie theme to video, create title, credits for video, rotate and add caption for every clip and more.
Transitions and Pan and zoom options are included in Animations tab. Select different styles from provided "Transitions" and "Pan and zoom" to demonstrate pictures in video frame-by-frame or choose one favorite type for whole video by clicking "Apply to all" option. You can also set duration of transitions.
If you would like to bring some special view experience to video watchers, you can use various effects gathering in Visual Effects category, (e.g. Blur, Edge Detection, Black and white, 3D ripple, Fade in/out) for each picture or one effect for all. The brightness of effects can be adjusted as well.
Tap Project tab to set aspect ratio for widescreen or standard and click Edit tab to change duration to display each frame.
Step 4. Add and Edit Music
It is believed that music can make your video more vivid. Click Add music button under Home menu. Two options, "Find new music online" (only support for AudioMicro, Free Music Archive and Vimeo) and "Add music from computer" are available.
Once the music is added to video, the new Music Tools menu appears. Turn up/down music volume, fade audio in/out slow, fast or medium and set start time/point, end point to have a perfect background soundtrack fitting with contents of your video.
Step 5. Save Video
Tap Save movie button and choose format you want to export. This Windows movie maker for Windows 10 offers various formats for computer, HD video, iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, Web videos etc. You can also create custom setting to adjust resolution, bit rate, frame rate and audio format. After saving it with a great title, you can directly play it on computer or device or share online.
Tip: you can sign in your Microsoft account and share your video on Facebook, YouTube and more by clicking icon in Share pane.
Part 3 Windows 10 Movie Maker Problems and Solution
Windows 10 Movie Maker absolutely specifies a simple and powerful way to create and edit movie/videos. But according to system requirements, it runs on Windows 10/8.1/8/7 32/64 bit computer, while Windows Vista/XP users should download other versions of Microsoft Windows Movie Maker which have much fewer functions.
On the other hand, some common errors of this Windows 10 media maker as following bother many users:
• Error 0x87260103 – "Sorry, your movie can't be saved. Find any missing files or remove the unusable items from your project, and then try again."
• Movie Maker error - There isn't enough memory available to save this file even though there is over 100GB space available on hard drive.
How to create and edit movie on Windows with no errors at all?
You might as well try a Windows Movie Maker alternative, such as WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe. It is a beginner-friendly tool, designed with a stylish and straightforward interface. Even though you are a fresh hand, you can get started with it quickly. And it also supports a wide range of formats embracing HEVC, H.264, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, MKV, 3GP, WebM, M2TS and more.
Let's get down to brass tacks. This Windows Movie Maker replacement allows you to cut, merge, and crop video. Moreover, it works as a video converter for Windows 10 to transcode videos; video compressor to reduce (4K/HD) video file size; video downloader to free download videos and music for 1000+ online sites, for example, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud.
In consideration that it's a CPU-intensive task to make and edit videos (specially for 4K footages), this best Windows Movie Maker alternative takes full advantage of GPU acceleration (Intel, NVIDIA, AMD) to greatly speed up transcoding and editing. Because GPUs offload multimedia mission from CPU, CPU can handle other tasks more smoothly and deliver fast performance during multitasking.
Briefly, WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe can not only complete video editing tasks Windows Movie Maker can do, but deliver faster, smoother and more stable performance. Because of a wide compatibility of video formats, it can process more videos than Windows Movie Maker.
Free Download WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe to replace Windows Movie Maker
Part 4 FAQs about Windows Movie Maker
1. Is Windows Movie Maker free and safe?
Yes, the official Windows Movie Maker is freeware and safe to use. If your Windows Movie Maker demands payment and brings you some malware, you probably get a fake version.
2. Is Windows Movie Maker still available?
Windows Movie Maker isn't available to download on official site. You'll be unable to find movie maker in Windows 10. However, it can still work properly if you have installed it on your PC.
When we google "Windows Movie Maker download", we'll get many results (such as Windows Movie Maker 2021 free download, Windows Movie Maker 2020) but we must be careful because there're many fake downloads containing viruses and hidden costs.
3. Does Windows 10 have a movie maker?
Windows Movie Maker is no longer available for downloading on Windows 10. But the good news is that Windows 10 comes with a Video Editor. Video Editor (formerly Microsoft Story Remix) is the successor to Movie Maker and is built into the Photos app.
4. What is a good replacement for Windows Movie Maker?
Photos' built-in Video Editor is a good replacement for Windows Movie Maker. It allows you to create and edit videos with music, text, motion, filters, and 3D effects.
5. How to make a video on my Windows 10 laptop?
You can use Windows 10's inbuilt Video Editor to create video. Check how-to guide >>
Part 5 [Appendix] History of Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker initially released to the public in 2000 included in Windows ME with ability to create and edit videos but only support for DV AVI/WMV 8 files.
Though it is continuously improved carrying new features (as burning DVDs, capturing DVR-MS files form HDV camcorders) and more effects and transitions, it was a turning point when the new version rename Windows Live Movie Maker 2009 arrives. It contributes a rearranged toolbar similar to Office 2007 and specifies a much simpler way to make and customize videos by removing certain advanced but complicated features.
Furthermore, Windows Live Movie Maker only can be obtained through Windows Live Essential suite for Windows 7 or later instead of being attached with operation system. The following Windows Live Maker 2011 is updated to support high-definition video, capture webcam video, upload videos to SkyDrive, Facebook directly and more. Latest Windows Movie Maker 2012, a part of re-branding Windows Essentials 2012 which requires 32 or 64-bit Windows 7/8/8.1, changes the default export format from WMV to H.264/MP4 for more uses.
1. "Windows Essentials", support.microsoft.com
2. "Create films with Video Editor", support.microsoft.com