You might not notice the download numbers of Windows Media Player (70,000+ per month) and Media Player Code Pack (about 50,000 per month) on Softonic, the so-called paradise for software/app, but most of you certainly run up against "Windows Media Player might not support the file type or the codec" problem. The data reveals that WMP users are so loyal that they would rather download media player codec pack for Windows 10, 8.1, 7, XP, etc to make up for incompatible codecs and perfect the Player software. If you wonder how, next are guides on media player codec pack download for Windows/10, with analyses of Windows Media Player (12) codec errors.
Things You Should Know before Download Windows Media Player Codec Pack:
• Windows Media Player is accessible on Windows 10
• The latest version is Windows Media Player 12
• WMP 12 supported file formats: Video-WMV, AVI, MPEG, MOV, MP4, M4V, 3GP, M2TS; Audio-WMA, MP3, MIDI, WAV, W4A, AAC
Tips: When play an UHD 4K video (MKV) on Windows 7 using Windows Media Player, the easiest way to solve missing codec error without downloading media player codec pack, is to convert MKV to WMP compatible formats with HD video converter software.
How to Download Install Windows Media Player Codec Pack for Windows 10?
1. Figure out what codecs you are missing now. Windows Media Player 11/10/9/for XP/7 do not support MOV, MP4, M4V and M2TS. Instead of downloading media player code pack for Windows (10/8/7), you can choose a particular MKV codec, H.265 codec, etc, based on your need. Check via the next steps: Open Windows Media Player -> Help -> About Windows Media Player -> Technical Support Information.
2. Download Windows Media Player codec pack. Search "media player codec pack for Windows/10" online and you will get a list of it. But be cautious and choose carefully, for wrong codec pack or free ones with virus may cause serious playback errors or system crash. Read over editor's review and users' comments. Here we leave you the link of a Windows media player codec pack, which has achieved 13 million download on CNET.
3. Install Windows media player codec pack. Take media player codec pack download on CNET as an example: click "Download Now" -> save the codec pack .exe file -> open the installer -> choose Easy installation or Detailed installation -> Next -> I Agree -> click Next to finish the installation.
1. Do remember to download media player codec pack for 32-bit and 64-bit OS accordingly
2. To play DVD, download MPEG2 codec; to play 4K/8K UHD video, install H.265 codec pack
Windows Media Player Alternative – 5KPlayer
Downloading media player codec pack won't work for any cases
"When I tried to play an 18-second 4320p/8K sample video with Windows Media Player on Windows 10, it just gave me a clue like 'The Player might not support the codec'. Windows 10 supports H.265, am I right? Meaning UHD videos should be played without a hitch and no need to download media player codec pack. So what's wrong with it?"
Normally when you get stuck in incompatible codec issues, click Web Help in Windows Media Player's pop-up box and you will find the exact codec you lack. Download install the media player codec pack for Windows/10, and things will be done. But what if it does not work? Using an alternative Windows Media Player will be a good way out. 5KPlayer, one of the best free media players with fresh designs, has managed to wow us with its great compatibility for all SD, HD, UHD (4K/5K/8K) and DVD videos. Without downloading Windows Media Player codec pack, you can freely play H.265, MP4, MKV and DVD files.
* FREE all-in-one HD/UHD player, online video downloader and streamer software
* Codec support H.265, H.264, MPEG4, MPEG2, AVI, MOV, MP3, FLAC, APE, etc
* 300+ SITES download video from YouTube, FB, Vimeo, DailyMotion, etc
All roads lead to Rome and you just need to pick out the most direct or smooth one. Windows Media Player incompatible codec problem can be settled by downloading media player codec pack as well as by converting video codec to WMP supported file formats, which is much easier to some extent. Follow the how-to guide below and have a try.
Step 1: Get to know media formats supported by Windows 10
Step 2: Download a HD video converter with ample input/output codecs | Download Video Converter
Step 3: Take converting 8K video to Windows 10 as an example. Click "+ Video" to load the source file.
Step 4: Select a compatible video codec for WMP on Windows 10 in the Output Profile center. Choose MP4, AVI and WMV in "General Profiles", or AVC, HEVC, Matroska, 3GP in "PC Genral Video".
Step 5: Set a destination folder and RUN the codec converting process. When it's done, your 8K video will be playable on Windows 10 without downloading any media player codec pack.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe - 370+ built-in video/audio codecs make it the best alternative for Windows media player codec pack
Note: The names of other companies, products and services are the property of their respective owners. Any logo, trademark and image relating to other companies that may be contained wherein are applied in the internet and are not used for commercial use. Digiarty's Software is not developed by or affiliated with such companies.