What Are HandBrake Supported Input/Output Formats?
HandBrake is a good helper to convert videos for free on multi-platform. But the formats supported by HandBrake are limited. Before you using HandBrake to encode videos, you should know whether the source files can be supported and converted to target video formats by HandBrake. So, this post will answer the most talked about question of what are HandBrake supported input output formats.
How to Convert Any Videos to Formats That HandBrake Won't Support?
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe - Best HandBrake alternetive software to convert any videos among all SD/HD/4K/8K videos MP4, MKV, AVI, WMV, AVCHD, MTS, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android, Microsoft, etc. Besides, it can rip DVDs to various formats, download videos and music, record screen and webcam, etc.
Table of Contents
Part 1. HandBrake Supported Formats Full List
1. HandBrake supported input sources
- Common multimedia formats (MP4 or M4V, MKV, MOV, MPG or MPEG, AVI, and WMV.)
- Web videos in FLV, WEBM, MP4, and many other formats.
- BluRay, unencrypted DVD-like source (DVD disc, ISO image file and DVD folder)
- Production formats produced by professional video cameras and NLEs, including MXF, MPEG-TS, and QuickTime, along with common video codecs such as CineForm, DNxHD, DNxHR, ProRes, XAVC, and XDCAM.
Note: HandBrake does not defeat or circumvent copy protection of any kind. It by default does not work with videos and DVDs employing Digital Rights Management (DRM). So, if you want to rip copy-protected DVDs to digital files with HandBrake, you're out of luck. Turning to HandBrake alternative WinX DVD Ripper Platinum for help is suggested.
2. HandBrake supported output formats
- Handbrake compatible output container formats: MPEG-4 Part 14 (MP4), iTunes video (M4V) and Matroska (MKV)
- HandBrake friendly output video encoders: H.264 (x264), H.264 10-bit (x264), H.264 (Intel QSV), H.264 (Nvidia NVEnc), H.265 (x265), H.265 10-bit (x265), H.265 12-bit (x265), H.265 (Nvidia NVEnc), MPEG-4, MPEG-2
- HandBrake supported output audio encoders: AAC, CoreAudio AAC/HE-AAC (OS X Only), MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- HandBrake supported audio pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks
3. Subtitle supported by HandBrake
- SRT, SSA, VOBSub, Closed Captions
Part 2. How to Solve FAQs Related to HandBrake?
Admittedly, HandBrake is free, clean and capable of converting videos/DVDs, chopping black bands around a video, and altering video quality to suit specified file size. However, HandBrake errors are here and there, say, crash in the process, no titles found while scanning DVD, output files are out of order, cannot attach subtitles to a movie, and so on. Here, solutions to fix some HandBrake related issues are provided.
1. How to Convert HandBrake Non-supported Video Formats?
Q: What can I do if my video file isn't in a format supported by HandBrake?
A: HandBrake supports most video formats, except some less common formats like RM, RMVB. In such cases, try a HandBrake alternative like WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe. It supports hundreds of input formats, including HD video (AVCHD, MTS, M2TS, TS, MKV, etc.), HD-Camcorder video (JVC/Sony/Panasonic/Canon HD camcorder video), regular video (AVI, MPEG, MP4, WMV, RM, ASF, QT, MXF, Vpx8, etc.), and even website video formats (FLV/MP4/WebM SD/HD/4K videos). Its compatible formats are far more than HandBrake supported formats.
2. HandBrake Only Offers Limited Presets, How to Solve?
Q: HandBrake only provides several presets and I'm not good at setting presets on HandBrake. So, is there any video converter which has contained all popular device presets?
A: Actually, this need can be addressed by WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe as well. Coming with 420+ preset profiles, it can easily convert videos to Apple iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Sony, Microsoft Xbox/Surface, Blackberry, Nokia, Plex, TVs, and other popular devices. Moreover, it will convert videos to M4V, MKV, MPEG, AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP, TS, H.264, H.265, etc. You can also extract audio in MP3, AAC, AC3, iPhone Ringtone, etc. Meanwhile, it is adept in free downloading YouTube videos/movies/songs, editing videos, and recording screen and webcam.
3. How to Solve HandBrake Can't Rip Copy-Protected DVDs?
Q: It is said that VLC is required to remove copy protection when ripping encrypted DVDs with HandBrake. But I always have trouble with it. Is there a tool which can override copy protections and rip DVD-like source as a digital copy at one go?
A: Many DVD rippers can remove DVD copy protection and rip DVD at one go. But not all rippers can cope with all copy protections. For example, even with libdvdcss installed for Handbrake, some new copy protection schemes will still make it fail to load DVD, select correct title, output digital file or export files in correct order. To rip encrypted DVDs, non-standard discs, new titles, etc., WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is your best choice. It is able to bypass all encryption technologies including DVD CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, and Disney X-project DRM, and rip DVD-like source to mainstream formats and popular devices with ease attributing to its hundreds of output profiles.