How to Copy DVD to iPad: 3 Ways to Help Play DVD on iPad
"I recently bought an iPad Pro for use while traveling etc. One of the main things I want to use it for is watching movies on flights - movies that are not normally playing on the plane. I have some movies on DVD. I was wondering now I might go about getting a DVD movie onto an iPad to play it."
iPad is a perfect device for watching movies on the go. Want to play DVD movies on iPad when you have a journey? It is easy if your DVDs come with digital copies. If not, you can purchase digital copies online. But if you don't want to spend extra money on movies you've already paid for, you can use a DVD ripper to rip and copy DVD to iPad playable formats on computer, and then transfer the resulting files from computer to iPad.
Best 3 DVD Rippers that Can Convert DVD for Playing on iPad
1. WinX DVD Ripper
Supported OS: Windows and Mac
Download page: https://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/download.htm
▪ It provides output presets for different iPad devices, such as iPad 7, iPad Pro, iPad Air, and iPad mini. You don't need to play with video audio parameters to create iPad presets by yourself.
▪ In addition to iPad profiles, it also covers general video profiles like MP4, as well as profiles for iPhone, Apple TV, iTunes, Android, PS4, Xbox, YouTube and almost everything you can think of. There're 350+ profiles in total.
▪ Any DVDs you have are supported, including encrypted commercial DVD movies, old DVDs, damaged discs, TV shows, workout DVDs, etc.
▪ It works very fast because it runs with the utilization of Intel® (QSV), and NVIDIA® (CUDA/NVENC) powered hardware acceleration, multi-core CPU, and Hyper-threading technology. 5X faster than similar programs.
▪ It will give you a high-quality digital copy of your disc by leveraging the built-in High Quality Engine. And the file size will be 80% smaller than the original.
▪ It also allows editing videos. You can trim, crop, merge video, and add external subtitle.
Guide - how to rip and copy DVD to iPad with WinX DVD Ripper:
Step 1. Download, install, and launch WinX DVD Ripper on your computer. ( free download for Windows , free download for Mac )
Step 2. Insert target DVD into the DVD drive built in or connected to your computer. Click "DVD Disc" button on the DVD ripper to select the source DVD disc. This software will select the main movie for you automatically.
Step 3. When you see Output Profile window, scroll down to "Apple Device", click "to iPad Video", and then choose an iPad profile based on which model you use and which codec and resolution you prefer to encode the resulting file with.
Step 4. Set destination folder and click the big blue "RUN" button to let this DVD to iPad converter start ripping file.
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, Linux
Download page: https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
▪ HandBrake is a free and open-source tool that can rip movie from DVD to MKV or MP4.
▪ It has presets for Apple, Android, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, Roku, Playstation, and more. But, HandBrake doesn't have iPad-optimized presets. You need to create iPad presets on your own when necessary.
▪ It owns multiple video and audio parameter settings for you to alter the output file personally.
Note: Handbrake can't rip copy-protected DVD and always select the wrong main title. The output quality and ripping speed are always unsatisfactory.
Guide - how to rip and copy DVD to iPad with HandBrake:
Step 1. Download and install HandBrake. Once done, open it.
Step 2. Insert DVD into DVD drive and then you should see your DVD drive on HandBrake. Simply click it and HandBrake will scan titles.
Step 3. Select the title you want to convert.
Step 4. Choose a preset. Since HandBrake doesn't have an iPad preset, you need to figure out what video format your iPad supports. According to the information below, you can choose MP4 as the output video format and then tap "Video" option and choose H.264 as the output video codec.
iPad supported formats:
* H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
* MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
* Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
* HEVC up to 4K @ 60 fps is supported by iPad 6, iPad Pro 10.5-in and later.
Step 5. Click "Browse" at the bottom right to set output file name and save path.
Step 6. Hit "Start Encode" button to begin converting DVD to iPad accepted format.
3. DVD Shrink
Supported OS: Windows
Download page: https://www.dvdshrink.org/download.php
DVD Shrink is a free DVD backup program. It can create ISO files and VIDEO_TS folders for your DVD discs. But its Achilles' heel is that only after integrating with "Nero" (version 7 or lower) or other DVD burning helpers can you run your DVD Shrink normally. The final English version of this tiny software - 126.96.36.199 - was built in July 2004 and was discontinued. Therefore, it is unable to remove many recent copy protection methods.
Note: Since there is no download link on its homepage now, please be careful not to get the one with malware, spyware or virus when downloading it on other sites. And there're some fakes with the names like "DVD Shrink 2010" to scam your money.
Guide - how to rip and copy DVD to iPad with DVD Shrink:
Step 1. Download, install, and open DVD Shrink.
Step 2. Click "Open Disc" button to select and import the DVD you want to convert for later watching on iPad.
Step 3. Tweak compression settings based on your own needs.
Step 4. Hit "Backup!" and then choose to create ISO image file or DVD folder.
Step 5. Since iPad cannot read ISO file or VIDEO_TS folder, you also need to transcode ISO/VIDEO_TS to iPad supported formats with WinX DVD Ripper, HandBrake, or any program you like.
How to Transfer DVD Rip File from Computer to iPad?
We've shown you how to convert DVD to iPad readable format on Windows/Mac in the above guides. Well, how to transfer the movie that is already ripped off DVD from your computer to iPad and then play it on iPad? There're a few ways.
1. Use iTunes, WinX MediaTrans, or other software to sync the DVD digital copy file from PC/Mac to iPad.
2. Use Plex. If you have downloaded Plex on the computer where you store DVD digital copy file, you can stream it to iPad if you have installed Plex app on iPad.
3. Use Dropbox and other cloud storage service to store your DVD digital copy. Thereafter, you can watch it on iPad through cloud storage app.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping commercial DVDs for any illegal purpose. You're suggested to refer to the DVD copyright laws in your country before doing so.