[Guide] Rip TV Series DVD into Individual Episodes or a Single File
"I have the entire Seinfeld TV series on DVDs. I would like to know how I can rip those episodes from DVDs that way I can watch them through my Plex Media Center."
"MakeMKV bundled TV episodes together as if its a movie. It came out as one big movie, with each episode playing after the next."
"Can you use HandBrake to rip multiple episodes of a DVD? Every time I try to rip multiple episodes, the output file won't play on my usb when I plug it into my TV."
Nowadays we have many ways to watch Games of Thrones, The Big Bang, The Twilight, The Office, VIKINGS, Sherlock, or other popular TV series. We can choose to stream them from Netflix, HBO and the like, or purchase or rent DVDs. If we have TV shows on DVD, we really "own" them. But to be honest, DVDs always make a lot of troubles. We need to make room for storing discs and prevent those fragile things from being scratched. And, we must have DVD drive or DVD player to play them. We cannot play DVDs directly through iPhone, iPad, or Android devices. If you want to get rid of those troubles, now rip episodes from DVDs as mainstreaming format such as MP4. Rip is a way to extract data from DVD without impacting the disc itself.
Well, how to rip TV shows from DVD? Here you will get the best way (program) to rip episodes from TV shows DVD to MP4, MOV or other formats, for Plex, NAS, Kodi, HTPC, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, Android, etc.
Best software to rip TV series DVDs - WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
- Rip episodes from DVDs, no matter what region code is encoded to the discs.
- Rip TV shows DVDs that are copy protected by CSS, RCE, Sony ARccOS, Disney X-project, and other DRMs.
- Rip episodes from DVD to any popular format, such as MP4, MOV, FLV.
- Rip TV show DVD into individual episodes or a single one.
For Windows and Mac only. If you are a mobile user, please click here.
Table of Contents
Part 1. Best DVD Ripping Software to Rip Episodes from DVD
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is a powerful tool that supports ripping a wide range of DVD types, including TV series DVD, movie DVD (even with 99 titles), workout DVD, and music DVD, and so on. Check some vital features below.
Support TV Series DVDs of any region code
That is to say, all region code 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 DVDs are supported. No matter which country your TV shows DVDs come from, you can use this ripper to perform digitizing.
Unlock various DVD copy protections
Commercial movie and TV series DVDs are often created with copy protection schemes inbuilt. Luckily, this program can crack almost any DVD encryption technologies, such as CSS, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, and Disney X-Project.
Rip TV Shows DVD to MP4, any format
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum comes with 350+ output profiles, covering all mainstream video formats to meet users' different needs. With this tool, you can rip TV shows DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, M2TS, MPEG, ISO file, VIDEO_TS folder, etc.
No.1 fast DVD ripping speed
This program supports multiple advanced technologies to speed up DVD conversion, among which level-3 hardware acceleration is the most notable one. This tech is based on Intel QSV, AMD and NVIDIA CUDA/NVENC, making use of CPU/GPU hardware acceleration in decoding, processing, and also encoding.
Part 2. How to Rip TV Shows from DVD with WinX DVD Ripper Platinum?
It's super easy to rip multiple episodes from a DVD. The tutorial below will show you how to copy TV series from DVD to hard drive, external hard drive, USB drive, cloud storage, iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.
- Download and install WinX DVD Ripper Platinum or its Mac version. Free download for Windows || Free Download for Mac
- Insert target TV show DVD into the inbuilt DVD drive or an external DVD drive connected to your computer.
TV shows DVD ripping procedure:
Step 1. Load the TV series DVD into the ripper.
Start up the DVD ripper and click "DVD Disc" button at the top left corner. Then a dialog box will show up. If you already insert the TV show DVD you want to rip, you should see it under "Select the source DVD disc". Now, all you need to do is to click the "OK" button.
Step 2. Specify output format.
Output Profile will prompt after step 1. What you should do in this step is to choose a profile based on your own needs. WinX DVD Ripper offers users 350+ profiles to address various needs. You can 1:1 clone a TV show DVD to a single ISO image, 1:1 clone a TV series DVD to a VIDEO_TS folder, rip episodic DVD to MP4 (H.264/MPEG4), AVI (DivX/Xvid), WMV, MOV, FLV, 3GP, M2TS, TS, etc., convert TV DVD for Apple iPhone, iPad, Android, Sony, or other devices.
Step 3. Select the episodes you want to rip.
After loading DVD, you should see lots of titles listed in the file window. Usually each title is an episode, but some titles are ads, tidbits, or other irrelevant things. All episodes in your TV series DVD can be detected. Double click on a title, and then you can check if the title is the episode you want through preview. You are allowed to select all titles or some of them for further ripping.
* This DVD ripper will automatically select the title with the longest duration if all the episodes are created into one title. In terms of the TV shows DVD with multiple titles, you're required to manually tick the titles you need.
* Some discs are authored with a "PLAY ALL" title and if you encode this, you rip all the episodes in one file. If you want to make each TV episode a separate file, you can extract the "PLAY ALL" title from DVD first and then split it into episodes.
* Some TV shows/series DVDs, if not all, contains several titles, which are supposed to be trimmed before you go. That's because it may rip title 1, title 2 and title 3 at one stroke even though you select only title 1. So enable Edit feature to cut your video length if you want individual episodes.
- The pull-down menus on each title allow you to specify desired audio track and subtitle track.
- Click "Edit" button and then you will get access to a new panel where you can trim off unwanted beginning or ending part, crop off unsightly area, add external subtitle track, and adjust audio volume.
- Ticking "Merge titles", selected titles/episodes will be joined together as a single one.
- To adjust video audio parameters, such as bit rate, frame rate and resolution, please click the gear icon.
- Enable "Deinterlacing", and then this TV show DVD ripper will change your videos from interlaced to progressive scanning mode.
- Using Hardware Accelerator Intel/nVIDIA and multiple CPU cores can speed up TV series DVD ripping greatly.
- When "Use High Quality Engine" is enabled, the output quality will be better but the speed will be slower.
- "Safe Mode" is very useful to rip strictly encrypted DVDs. It can guarantee smooth ripping and well-organized output.
- Using "Trim" feature to seperate TV episodes or cut out unwanted parts.
Step 4. Begin ripping TV show DVDs.
When you finish all settings, simply click "RUN" button at the bottom right corner to start ripping all selected episodes from DVD. Once done, the TV episodes will be saved to the output folder with names like xxx_Title1.mp4, xxx_Title2.mp4, xxx_Title3.mp4... Now, you can save your TV series into any devices or services you love for convenient playback and management.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Still have question on ripping TV episodes from DVDs? Please feel free to Email Us >>
Part 3. FAQs
1. How to rip episodes from DVD with HandBrake?
Step 1. Download and install HandBrake on your computer.
Step 2. Download libdvdcss to help HandBrake access copy-protected TV shows DVDs.
Step 3. Insert target TV series DVD into your computer's disc drive.
Step 4. Open HandBrake. Under Source Selection, click on the DVD you just insert. Then, HandBrake will start scanning titles in your DVD.
Step 5. After finish scanning, you should select the titles/episodes you want to rip from this TV shows DVD. To rip multiple episodes from DVD into separate files, you can add all desired titles/episodes to the ripping queue.
Step 6. Select output preset based on your own needs.
Step 7. Click the Browse button to specify save path.
Step 8. Hit the Start Encode button to begin ripping individual episodes from DVD.
2. How to rip episodes from DVD with VLC?
VLC can rip TV shows DVD, but it can extract one episode from DVD at a time. For example, if you want to rip 5 episodes from a TV series DVD, you have to repeat the following steps 5 times.
Step 1. Download and install VLC on your computer.
Step 2. Insert target TV shows DVD into disc drive.
Step 3. Launch VLC, click Media, and scroll down to Convert/Save.
Step 4. Navigate to Disc tab, select target TV shows DVD, and specify the title/episode you want to rip, as well as audio track and subtitle track. And click Convert/Save.
Step 5. On the Convert panel, select output profile and destination folder for your ripped episode, and click Start. Then, the ripping process will start.
Once done, the selected title/episode will be saved to the destination folder you just set. And now, you can repeat these steps to rip other episodes you want to get.