Video Compression: How to Convert 1080p to 720p Video Easily
Is 1080p or 720p Better?
It depends. They are essentially different progressive video resolutions. To be specific, 1080p video of higher resolution may be more suitable for viewing on HDTV to have more pixel details of image displayed; 720p HD Ready or Standard HD, however, has its advantages:
1. For a slow internet connection, 720p will be a better choice for live streaming since it gobbles up less data and bandwidth, 0.9GB per hour.
2. 720p, as an HDTV signal format, is enough for widescreen HDTV and standard 720p TV. TV broadcasters and cable/satellite providers like ABC and FOX send programming in 720p resolution.
3. Nowadays, most mobile phones have screen resolutions of VGA (640×480), Quarter HD or qHD (960×540), XGA (1024x768), WXGA (1366x768), 720x1280 to Quad HD (1440x2560), Full HD (1920x1080 pixels). And 720p resolution video can be played back clearly enough without noticeable pixel block (depending on pixel density).
The Catch: The best pixel density for phone is about 300 pixels per inch, i.e., the relation between phone screen size and resolution is 300 PPi, which will deliver the best screen resolution for phone.
4. A same video at 720p resolution will yield smaller file size than the one at 1080p. It means faster video transmission (sharing/uploading), less storage consumption and smaller drain on your phone's battery.
Here are how to downscale and convert 1080p to 720p video on Windows 10 using WinX Video Converter (with image quality comparison).
Downscale 1080p to 720p with virtually no quality loss, you need:
WinX Video Converter - A fast video resolution converter with high quality reserved.
• Adjust resolutions: 1080p to 720p/480p/320p, 4K to 2K, 4K to 1080p, and even 1080p to 4K, etc.
• Reduce size: resize large HD/4K videos via trim, crop, split, lower frame rate, bit rate, change aspect ratio...
• Compress video: MKV to MP4/iPhone, M2TS to AVI, H.264 to HEVC...codec conversion.
• Download videos and music, edit videos, make photo slideshows.
How to Convert 1080p to 720p Free with a Specific 1080p to 720p Converter?
Follow the step-by-step guide to free compress and convert a FHD 1080p to a HD-Ready 720p video on Windows PC within a few clicks.
All you need:
A desktop or laptop running Windows 2000 - Windows 10.
The EXE file WinX Video Converter installed.
One or more 1080p HD video files on your hard drive.
Step 1: Load a source 1080p video.
Click "Add Video" button on the top left of the free 1080p to 720p HD video converter, browse in your computer and find the 1080p HD video file. Choose the video file, tap "Open" and add it to the converter. It supports adding video files in batch.
Step 2: Choose an output profile if necessary.
The default output format of WinX Free Video Converter is MP4 Video with H.264 + AAC codec. You can choose any other profiles provided, such as AVC Video, AVI Video, etc. If you are just to change the resolution instead of format, just choose an output format that is the same with your original video. But honestly, MP4 is always recommended for good reasons.
Step 3: Choose 1280x720 resolution.
Click on a gear-shaped setting button, under Video Options hit the drop down arrow and select 1280x120.
Besides resolution, Bit Rate, Frame Rate and Aspect Ratio (4:3; 3:2; 16:9) can be set according to your needs. Video bitrate recommended for 720p is 2000-4000 Kbps, but you don't have to set it by yourself since it is ready-made.
Step 4. Define the output folder.
Choose any folder or hard drive as the Destination Folder to save the output 720p video file.
Step 5. Enable Hardware Encoder.
No matter your computer has iGPU or discrete GPU, this program can invoke it for acceleration if the Hardware Acceleration on your computer is turned on.
Step 6. Make other settings and start.
You can make any other settings if necessary. After that, click RUN button and start converting 1080p to 720p.
Here we take a small part of the original 1080p video and the downscaled 720p video, played in full screen by Windows Media Player on a 24-inch widescreen Dell Windows 10 desktop as the image quality comparison.
As you can see, there is no noticeable difference between the images at 1080p and 720p resolution even on a widescreen computer. The difference will be less on a smaller sized device such as an iPad, iPhone or Android phone.
Download the Best All-in-One Video Software - WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
This video converter is capable of video format conversion (e.g. MOV to MP4, AVI to iPhone), resolution shifting, video editing/processing, video downloading and more. It can also decode videos, compress any 4K UHD/8K videos to MP4, HEVC, MOV, FLV, and more videos, make all kinds of videos playable on Apple iPhone 11/Pro, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S10, Google Nexus, Sony Xperia, Windows Phone, Surface Pro, PS3/4, Xbox One S, etc, for a convenient video movie playback, uploading or storage. Thanks to the level-3 CPU/GPU hardware acceleration, the video processing speed will be as fast as you need.