2023 Best 5 Portable/Dual DVD Players for Car
Long road trips are grueling, especially with the toddlers or kids. The best way to help them kill time and entertain them for hours on the road is a car DVD player. Yet, some vehicles have removed the DVD player from the car. In such a case, you're in an urgent demand to single out and buy a vehicle portable DVD player for car to transform the long-hour tiresome ride into an entertaining journey.
Speaking of car DVD players, which one is the best? Headrest DVD player, portable DVD player with swivel display screen or dual DVD player for car that plays two different movies? Don't rush to a conclusion. You're supposed to form your judgement after reading the below review.
Warm Prompt: Rip DVD for DVD Player or Tablet/Mobile Devices !
1. Most car DVD players support other digital formats like MP4, AVI except for DVD disc. To avoid toting loads of DVD discs to consume car space and to accidently cause DVD scratch/damage by kids, you can consider to rip DVDs to MP4 and save on USB drive for convenient carry and playback on vehicle headrest DVD player.
2. Backup DVD to tablets (iPad, Android pad) or smartphones for different movies playback and stopping arguments if you have two or three kids and the gap between their ages is large. After all, the dual DVD player can't simultaneously satisfy their different needs.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum can rip and backup any DVD for convenient playback on your DVD player or tablet/mobile devices.
Table of Contents
No.1 DBPower 12" Portable DVD Player
- Mounting Type: Portable DVD player with a swivel screen
- Display: Single screen (10'' swivel screen)
- Resolution: 1024*600 pixels
- Media Storage Devices: Playback content from DVD, CD, SVCD, USB (32GB Max), SD
- Supported Digital Formats: MPEG-2, AVI/DIVX, MP3, WMA, WAV, JPEG
- Price: $69.99
This car DVD player from DBPower can be used anywhere, not only stricted in your car. Instead, it can be applied to sync screen to your HDTV via HDMI connectivity, as well. And the dual speakers render you with loud enough volume (headphone jack available). Whatever DVD discs you throw at it (region 1, region 2, region 3...), it can perfectly detect and read them without any external 3rd party help. All in all, it's a remarkable portable DVD player for car, which has already been well proved by the customers on Amazon (65% vote for 5 star).
- Swivel screen can be rotated with 270-degree viewing angle and also be folded to save space when not in use.
- Built-in high-capacity 2,500 mAh rechargeable lithium battery supports you to watch DVD movies up to 5 hours.
- The price skyrockets to $102.96 on Amazon if you also buy the related items including car headrest mount holder and travel case.
- Only one display screen.
No.2 Sylvania SDVD9805 Dual-Screen DVD Player
- Mounting Type: Front seat headrest mounting/portable
- Display: Two 9'' screens
- Resolution: 720*480 pixels (max
- Media Storage Devices: Playback content from DVD, CD, USB, SD
- Supported Digital Formats: Almost all the modern formats
- Price: $98
This headrest dual-screen DVD player for car is an incomparable option to entertaining toddlers and kids on the backseat of your car with different viewing demands. If your kids have a strong argument on the DVD movies, it offers you the silver bullet - play different DVD movies on each screen. Playing the same movie on both displays is also available. One extra selling point is that it's beneficial for protecting your kids' eyes and posture. In case you have several kids and adequate budget, this one is worth considering.
- Support to show the same movie on both screens or different movies on each screen.
- The supported input digital formats is a page long so that you can enjoy almost all your media, movies, music and photos.
- Headrest DVD player is good for kids' eye protection and correcting posture.
- The price is high.
- The display resolution leaves much to be desired.
- Not user friendly enough. Some users have no idea on how to connect 2 screens to play a single DVD or play separate DVDs.
No.3 Sylvania PDVD1037 Dual Screen Player
- Mounting Type: Front seat headrest mounting/portable
- Display: Two 10" screens
- Resolution: 720*480 pixels (max)
- Media Storage Devices: playback content from DVD, CD, VCD, USB, SD, MMC
- Supported Digital Formats: MP4, AVI, MP3, WMA
- Price: $54.8
What price, what goods. This dual-screen portable DVD player enables you to watch the same movie on both screens (different movies not supported) at a comparatively low price. But it comes at the price of some flaws including the connectivity, media formats compatibility, headsets and volume capability. For those who are in cash-strapped condition can take it for temporary use.
- The headrest car DVD player can properly reduce the discomfort the long-time watching brings, esp for kids.
- The price is reasonable.
- The power cord (plug into the car) often comes lose to lead in the shutdown of the whole thing.
- The headsets are the small earbuds, which is not quite suitable for toddlers, considering the hearing protection.
- Volume only deserves 1 star. The sound of driving on the freeway drowns out the volume even though you turn up it to full volume.
Providing you really want to keep your kids entertained in your car with DVD movies but not with this DVD player, you can consider an alternative way with your limited budget - digitize DVD movies to mobile devices (tablet, smartphone, laptop, game console...) using a professional yet cutting-edge DVD ripper - WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. It can 1:1 rip and copy any of your DVDs to iPhone iPad, Android (Samsung Galaxy S10, Huawei, Sony), Xbox One S, PS4, etc. for limitless playback with roughly half of this car DVD player price - $29.95.
No.4 Audiovox 10.1" Hi-Def DVD Player Model VODDLX10
- Mounting Type: Overhead car DVD player
- Display: 10.1" single screen
- Resolution: 1024*600 pixels
- Media Storage Devices: Playback content from DVD, USB, mobile devices and built-in 100 channel FM modulator
- Supported Digital Formats: Almost any modern formats
- Price: $346.25
The aforementioned car DVD players all belong to portable DVD players. If flip-down car DVD player is the one you need, Audiovox 10.1" DVD player cuts the buck, transforming any rear seat into a traveling movie theater by plaing back DVD movies, content from USB drive, 100 FM channel, as well as your mobile devices via HMDI/MHL connectors. The precondition is that your budget is sufficient.
- Built-in HDMI/MHL Inputs for convenient use with your mobile devices except for the old-fashioned DVD discs.
- Built-In 100 channel FM modulator to bring your more entertainment forms.
- Two aspect ratios availble 16:9/4:3 to better fit your movie/video.
- The price is high. It's not affordable for the ordinary buyers.
- Not a portable DVD player, fixed with your car.
No.5 Kenwood - 6.8" In-Dash Car DVD Player with Navigation
- Mounting Type: In-dash DVD player
- Display: 6.8" single Touch Screen
- Resolution: No official data
- Media Storage Devices: Playback content from DVD, CD, USB, iPhone/Android
- Supported Digital Formats: FLAC, MP3 and other audio formats
- Price: $799.99
This expensive in-dash car DVD player is more suitable for the front passengers to watch DVD movies, as well as for the driver to navigate and to get hands-free calling. It's not the best option for kids entertainment. Weigh its pros and cons before making decision.
The current car DVD player market is filled to brim with varied brands of DVD players. Therefore, they can't be all covered in just one review article. If you have ever used some awesome DVD players, you're warmly welcomed to share with us.
- Built-in GPS for navigation.
- Bluetooth connectivity and USB port enable you to connect with your iOS/Android devices and to play music.
- Activate Apple CarPlay and Android Auto via Siri or Google Assistant to interact with your phone.
- The price is too high to accept.
- Not suitable for movie enjoyment in rear seat.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best portable DVD player?
In the market, there are a variety of options about the portable DVD player. Among them, the best 5 include DBPower 12" Portable DVD Player, Sylvania SDVD9805 Dual-Screen DVD Player, Sylvania PDVD1037 Dual Screen Player, Audiovox 10.1" Hi-Def DVD Player Model VODDLX10, and Kenwood - 6.8" In-Dash Car DVD Player with Navigation.
2. Are car DVD players safe?
Yes, if the driving condition is stable. However, safety tests have shown back-seat DVD players could kill a child in a crash at only 18mph. So, it is better to rip DVDs to digital versions with tool like WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, and then watch them on a tablet or mobile phone.
1. How can I play a DVD in my car while driving?
You have a few steps to play a DVD in a car while driving after choose an ideal car DVD player.
Step 1. Turn on the car by putting the keys in the ignition. You have to turn the starter to the accessories option to start the DVD player before the car starts. Put the radio setting to DVD player.
Step 2. Insert the DVD in the DVD player. Turn on the player if it does not automatically come on by pressing the power or play button.
Step 3. Choose to play the DVD or select any options from the front panel of the DVD player.