Q: How to convert/import a DVD movie to iTunes on a PC for personal use?
What is iTunes
iTunes, on one hand, is a media player app to play audios and videos, and on the other hand, a media library to download and manage digital music and video files on PC that runs alternatively on OS X or Windows OS, as well as on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
iTunes 11 is the version before iTunes 12, with an initial one-month delayed arrival with "dramatically simplified new interface" and better "iCloud features". The completely redesigned iTunes with better integration with iCloud is available for: >> Rip DVD to iTunes 12
Mac OS: only Mac OS X v10.6.8 or later is supported
Windows OS: (for Windows 32 bit or 64 bit) Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, Windows Vista, Windows 7/8 are supported
For Windows and Mac only. If you are a mobile user, please click here.
iTunes is criticized for not being able to transfer music file from one portable device to another. Similarly, iTunes require the purchase of HD movies from iTunes Store. It does not support importing DVD video format like always, neither does QuickTime. What to do if we want to watch DVD videos instead of buying HD videos from Apple iTunes?
Part 1: Convert DVD to iTunes on Windows/Mac – DVD to iTunes 12 Conversion User Guide
To convert DVD to iTunes friendly videos, a good DVD to iTunes converter is a must for ripping DVD content to iTunes supported videos. The upgraded and platinum version of WinX DVD Ripper with specialized profiles for iTunes is the best DVD ripper for iTunes (12/11).
Update downloading, please install it on your computer and launch this DVD to iTunes ripper for PC.
1. Click on "DVD Disc", "ISO Image" or "Folder" button to this ripper. Then a smaller window will pop up.
2. Choose output profile in "Output Profile Category", and find "Apple Device" under "Device profile". Specific videos supported by different Apple and iOS devices will appear upon clicking on it. Among them, "to iTunes Video" is what you need.
You may rip and convert DVD to M4V format for iTunes in Codec MPEG4 or H.264. For each, there are three different options to output LQ, SQ and HQ videos. You can slide to choose the idea one for you based on your requirement. The higher video quality is, the bigger output file size would be, and longer it will take to rip.
After selecting, just click the "OK" button before the DVD ripper loads the information and auto check the main title for you
3. Optionally, you may:
a. preview the movie and take a picture;
b. adjust each title for audio volume, subtitle, expand resolution, crop and trim;
c. adjust the output profile for personalized video audio parameters, including two pass encode, resolution, channel, bit rate, etc;
d. set tag with your personal information, which may facilitate easy search in the future;
e. merge multiple titles into one;
f. change the destination folder for you to find after the conversion process is completed;
g. choose CPU core use and more
4. Click Run button to start converting DVD to iTunes 11/12 compatible video, which may first stored on your selected folder your computer hard drive.
Part 2: Import DVD to iTunes library to sync to iPhone iPod iPad – User Guide
If you are sure you already have converted DVD video on Windows or Mac, you can transfer DVD video into iTunes (12) and then Sync DVD videos through iTunes (12) to iPad iPhone iPod.
iTunes (the latest version iTunes 12.9 is recommended); iTunes Store account; Internet access (if necessary)
1. Launch iTunes 12, add the movie video file to your iTunes library, create versions optimized for your device using the Advanced menu.
2. Click "Add to File" under "File" and browse and add the converted DVD video to your iTunes library. iTunes 11 will auto classify it in Movies category. You can play it directly on iTunes.
3. Drag the DVD movie to your iOS device including iPhone/XR/XS/X/8, iPod touch, iPad/Air//Mini/Pro from iTunes 12/11 LIBRARY. Or you may sync the video to iPad iPhone iPod. After that, you have successfully transferred DVD video from iTunes to iOS (12) device for playback.
With WinX DVD Ripper Platinum or WinX DVD Ripper for Mac, you can have DVD videos in iTunes library as many as possible to enjoy HD videos without buying. It may help rip copy protected DVDs to iTunes on PC or Mac.
Disclaimer: Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so.
Best fastest DVD ripper and converter to convert DVD disc to digital video as MP4, H.264, HEVC, MKV, AVI, WMV, MPEG, MOV, iPhone XS/XS Max/8/7/6S/6, iPad Air 2/Pro, Android, etc. at fastest speed. Also enable you to 1:1 copy DVD to ISO image/folder/MPEG-2 file with original quality by accessing all DVD protections.
For PC and Mac only. Go to mobile page.
Beatrice Green is a creative copywriter & marketer with 4-year work experience in Digiarty, professional in delivering thoughtful guides, tips or news related to DVD/video conversion/edit issues, latest hot movies, music, digital devices, tech events, and more.