How to Update to iOS 16 from iOS 15 on iPhone
WWDC22 disclosed the mysterious veil of the new operating system iOS 16 couples of days ago. After the new features of iOS 16 being officially announced, many a user can't wait to upgrade to iOS 16 to enjoy its new supplements on lock screen, live text, messages, mail and safari. If you're prone to update to iOS 16 from iOS 15 but have no idea on how-to, read the below guide to upgrade to iOS 16 without pain.
Table of Contents
Part 1. What iPhones Support iOS 16 Upgrade?
Unlike iOS 15, this time iOS 16 expands its exclusiveness to iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. That means iPhone 7/Plus, iPhone 6s/Plus, iPhone touch (7th-gen) and iPhone SE (1st-gen) have no chance to embrace new features brought by iOS 16. The iOS 16 compatible iPhone models are listed on the following picture.
As above, iOS 16 can be running on iPhone 8 (2017) or newer. However, this doesn't mean every feature in the update will be available on your iPhone, though, as some features like Live Text work only with iPhones powered by an A12 Bionic chip or newer. If you're okay with the partiality of iOS 16, follow the below instructions to download and install iOS 16 on your iPhone now.
Part 2. How to Update to iOS 16 Public Beta Version Over the Air?
Currently, there is only iOS 16 public beta version available. In case you want to rush into iOS 16 world right now, it's a nice option to download and install iOS 16 public beta version. Certainly, the precondition is that you're acceptable with the potential iOS 16 bugs.
Warm prompt: it's always "have a backup" than "need a backup", especially when you need to upgrade iOS 15 to iOS 16 public beta on iPhone. It's rewarding to backup iPhone files to Windows or Mac computer before iOS updating. Free download professional iPhone backup tool
- WinX MediaTrans, which can batch transfer and backup your photos, music, videos, movies, iTunes purchases, podcasts, ringtones, iBooks, etc. from iPhone to Windows 10/11, Mac to safeguard your precious files. Now update to iOS 16 after the iPhone backup is completed:
- Open beta.apple.com on iPhone, sign up/in, and accept to agree to the terms and conditions.
- On the Apple Beta Software Program page, choose iOS 16.
- Follow the instructions to add your iPhone.
- Download the iOS 16 beta software to add it to your iPhone.
- Open Settings > profile > tap Install. Then, your iPhone will reboot.
- Head over to Settings again > General > Software Update > Download and Install.
Part 3. How to Download and Install iOS 16 Official Version?
Providing you concern the potential risks and bugs iOS 16 public beta would bring to your iPhone, you can wait until the official version is released. By then, you can either wait for your iPhone to remind you with a pop-up alert or force a manual update.
To download and install iOS 16, you can choose wireless way (like part 2) or iTunes. Considering iTunes has been ditched by Apple, wireless upgrade seems better. Officially upgrade iPhone from iOS 15 to iOS 16, and you're required to have stable Wi-Fi connection, nearly full battery on iPhone (or at least 50%), and roughly 3 GB free space for iOS 16 installation on iPhone. When everything is ready, conduct these:
- Navigate to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap Upgrade to iOS 16 at the bottom of the display > tap Download and Install, or you'll be directed to Download and Install automatically.
- Enter your iPhone passcode if you have it.
- Agree to Apple's terms, and then wait for upgrading to new iOS 16 on iPhone.
There is scarely a man but has weak side. Upgrading to new iOS 16 doesn't mean all good, no downside. The differences between iOS 16 and iOS 15 is as plain as plain can be. iOS 16 gets enhancements on lock screen, live text, messages, photos, maps, safari, CarPlay, etc. Yet, you need to realize that iOS 16 would also bring new risks and bugs for your iPhone like iPhone battery drain fast, Wi-Fi not working, App store not working, notifications freeze, etc. In such case, downgrade iOS 16 to iOS 15 until iOS 16 major bugs get fixed, or refer to this iOS update troubleshooting article to solve these problems one by one. Think twice before you leap.