[For Mac] How to Rip DVD (incl. Copy-protected DVD) to Mac
Although online streaming service is rising, DVD disc has not been ditched at all. Still, thousands of millions of people are holding a mass of old discs, and maybe are buying new movie DVDs, but having no idea of how to cope with them. Here's one way we can try - rip DVD to computer, home server, or somewhere else. In this article, we will introduce how to rip DVD to Mac computer with HandBrake and with WinX DVD Ripper for Mac.
Choose a DVD Ripper for Mac
HandBrake and WinX DVD Ripper for Mac, which is the best DVD ripper for Mac? Let's take a look at their features and then you should be able to make a choice.
HandBrake: HandBrake is a free and open-source tool compatible with various platforms, such as Mac, Windows, Ubuntu and others. It can rip DVD to MP4 or MKV on Mac El Capitan (10.11) and later. Handbrake is no doubt great, but free things always come with limitations. It cannot rip copy-protected DVD onto Mac.
>> Free download HandBrake for Mac
>> Check how to rip DVD to Mac for free with HandBrake
WinX DVD Ripper for Mac: It isn't free, but it is much more powerful than HandBrake. It can easily bypass all DVD encryptions such as Disney X-project DRM, CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, and copy protected DVDs to MP4, MKV, MPEG2, ISO file, DVD folder, and more formats. It provides 350+ output profiles, including presets for Mac, PC, Apple, Android, and more. It supports Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD hardware acceleration to boost DVD ripping speed.
>> Free download WinX DVD Ripper for Mac
>> Check how to rip DVD (incl. copy-protected disc) to Mac with WinX DVD Ripper for Mac
Before You Rip DVD to Mac (MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, iMac Pro, Mac mini)
Before you start copying DVD to Mac, you need to figure out a few things.
1. Check if it is legal to rip copyrighted DVDs in your country. Digiarty Software does not advocate ripping copy-protected DVDs for any commercial purpose and suggests referring to the DVD copyright laws in your countries before doing so. Ripping purchased DVDs for personal use won't get you into trouble.
2. Apple started its plan to kill optical drive in 2012. However, Apple happily sells you a SuperDrive for dealing with optical media. If you don't have a built-in DVD drive, get a SuperDrive for your Mac computer.
3. Make sure your Mac has enough space to save digital copies of your DVDs. Depending on the output format you choose, a DVD replica needs around 1GB and even more.
How to Rip DVD to Mac for Free with HandBrake
Step 1. Download and install HandBrake
1. Download HandBrake from its official site (https://handbrake.fr/). The latest version for Mac 10.11 or later is 1.3.3.
2. Open the .dmg file and follow the wizard to get it installed, which normally takes you several seconds.
3. Open this DVD ripper for Mac.
Step 2. Load source DVD and set output file
1. Click Open Source in the top left corner, choose DVD disc, e.g. H:\ (TRANSFORMERS2_DISC1), and a banner pops up saying "Scanning source, please wait". Note: Common ones will be loaded successfully right away, while copy protected ones like Disney DVD will end in error after scanning up to 99 titles one by one. To rip encrypted DVD to Mac, please turn to WinX DVD Ripper for Mac.
2. Select MP4 as Container under the Output settings first. HandBrake only offers two video format containers, MP4 and MKV. Lucky for us, Mac OS does support MP4, thanks to its wide compatibility with almost all devices and players. Then go to the Video part, and here comes the most complicated thing - parameters calculating.
NOTE: If you are totally new to the terms like bit rate, frame rate, resolution, etc, parameter calculating will be too hard to understand, especially the different encoding methods: 1 pass, 2 pass, CRF, and the like. We've tested ripping DVD to Mac (MP4) using all ways it provides, and the results show that 1 pass rips fastest however with unbearable image scenes while CRF reaches the best balance among time, quality and file size. So the next is our recommendation:
• Container: MP4
• Video Codec: H.264 (X264)
• Quality: Contant Quality RF
• Framerate (FPS): same as source
• H.264 Profile: High (takes longer time than the main profile)
Step 3. Start ripping DVD to Mac free
1. Click Browse to set the file destination.
2. Press Start button and wait. Normally, ripping a 2.5h DVD disc to Mac needs about 30 minutes, output in a 2GB around file.
Watch Video Tutorial: How to Rip DVD on Mac with HandBrake
How to Rip DVD (incl. Copy-Protected Disc) to Mac with WinX DVD Ripper for Mac
Free HandBrake is truly a good DVD ripper for Mac, but as we mentioned above it cannot rip copyrighted DVD to Mac. Thankfully, where HandBrake disappoints you, WinX DVD Ripper for Mac picks up the slack.
Step 1. Download and install WinX DVD Ripper for Mac. It is fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 or later.
Step 2. Launch this Mac DVD ripping software and load source DVD.
When you open this ripper, you will find that its interface is more straightforward than HandBrake. Click DVD Disc button to select your DVD drive. Main title will be auto selected for you.
Step 3. Choose output profile.
You need to specify an output format based on your own needs.
▪ If you want to save DVD to Mac and play DVD on Mac, you can scroll down to Mac General Video and choose a profile such as MP4 Video (H.264).
▪ If you want to transfer DVD to iPhone / iPad, you can scroll down to Apple Device, select to iPhone Video / to iPad Video, and select a profile.
▪ If you want to make a full backup of your DVD on Mac, you can go to DVD Backup and choose Clone DVD to ISO Image or Clone DVD to Folder.
Step 4. Start ripping DVD to Mac.
Set a destination folder and click RUN. If any error happens, select Safe Mode and try again.
Watch Video Tutorial: How to Rip DVD to Mac with WinX DVD Ripper for Mac