Q: I've started becoming more familiar with using HandBrake to rip DVD on my computer (running Mac OS). But found that HandBrake occasionally defaults the destination file to be in the file extension of M4V (.m4v) instead of MP4 when I tried to convert DVD to Apple TV. Why? How can I open M4V file with general video players?
If you invovle in the same trouble as the above question, read on to find out why Handbrake saves DVD as M4V not MP4 file, how to slove HandBrake saving DVD as M4V issue with the best HandBrake Alternative.
M4V file extension is an MPEG-4 Video file. It is open in iTunes by default. An m4v is more likely to have video ID3 style tags embedded. But mp4, m4a and m4v are all variations of the exact same file type in the long run.
Why does Handbrake (currently 0.10.2) save video as M4V instead of commonly seen MP4 file? Indeed, M4V is barely more an Apple thing than HandBrake. M4V format is developed by Apple and encrypted by the same with DRM copy technology. That is to say, M4V files have copyright protection from the Apple, which forbids the access (especially from competitors like Android) for commercial purpose. For example, M4V file cannot be read on Samsung Galaxy Note.
HandBrake automatically uses the extension M4V in case of audio (AC3), use SRT subtitles or have chapter markers enabled. As a matter fact, there is basically no mentionable difference between MP4 and M4V. >> M4V vs MP4
Apple TV needs the .m4v file extension to know how to deal with the AC3 in the mp4 container. Chapters and AC3 audio can only be seen by QuickTime if you change the file extension from .mp4 to .m4v. QuickTime or any QT-based app cannot play a MP4 file with these features enabled, unless it has the extension ".m4v". So you should not change to MP4 the extension of a file if it is as M4V containing a3c audio. That's why the Apple TV preset changes it in the destination field. >>How to Free Rip DVD to Apple TV?
The simplest way to open and play M4V file is to change the file extension back and forth between M4V and MP4. That is, HandBrake M4V to MP4, or HandBrake MP4 to M4V.
To the file extension from M4V to MP4 is the simplest but not an omnipotent way to play HandBrakde M4V file. In order to solve HandBrake Saving DVD as M4V issue flawlessly, the following solutions highly recommended.
1. Play M4V files by Apple QuickTime Player, Windows Media Player Classic, VLC media player, MPlayer, RealPlayer and all-in-one video/audio player DAPlayer;
2. Convert M4V to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, FLV, etc using HD video converter;
3. Find the best HandBrake alternative (such as WinX DVD Ripper Platinum for Windows and WinX DVD Ripper for Mac) to rip DVD to MP4/H.264, AVI, MPEG, WMV, etc directly. They can also convert DVD for movie playback on all iPhone, iPad, iTouch, iTunes, Air Playit and any other popular Android and Windows devices. They also support ripping DVD to ISO, MPEG2, MP3, JPEG, or converting DVD ISO to AVI, MP4, and so on. In addition, WinX DVD Ripper Platium/for Mac fully supports Disney and Sony protected DVDs, and can select the correct main movie title by default during ripping.
How to Solve Handbrake Output Out of Order Error
How to Solve Handbrake Cannot Rip DVD with 99 Titles Error
How to Solve Handbrake Convert AVI to MP4 Crashed Problem
How to Solve Cannot Attach Subtitles to a Movie
Still have some trouble about how to slove Handbrake saving DVD as M4V error? Please feel free to Email Us >>
[Related Software] - WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
• Convert M4V videos to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, etc, for playback on PC/Mac and portable devices more smoothly.
• Download SD/HD/4K/3D movies/videos from YouTube or convert existing HD/4K videos (MKV, AVCHD, M2TS, MOD, TOD, H.265/HEVC etc.) to iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, Ps3/4, Xbox on Windows/Mac with no effort at all.
Note: The names of other companies, products and services are the property of their respective owners. Any logo, trademark and image relating to other companies that may be contained wherein are applied in the internet and are not used for commercial use. Digiarty's Software is not developed by or affiliated with such companies.