What is ISO Format
What is ISO
ISO is the abbreviation of International Organization for Standardization originated from Greek "ISOS" which means "Equal". Though non-governmental, ISO is still a very important global organization.
In reference to video, ISO refers to a file format of an optical disc such as CD, DVD or Blu-ray Disc. ISO actually owned its name from the ISO 9660 file system and is used together with CD-ROM media.
What is ISO Image
ISO image, or called an ISO file, is the image of an entire CD or DVD, the whole contents of which can be completely duplicated and contained in a single ISO file. ISO image is an image file produced by copying all information in an optical disc. Therefore, ISO image is qualified to be the genuine digital copy of the original. It usually has a file extension of .iso and might contain a UDF (ISO/IEC 13346) file system. One can create ISO image from optical disc, or further create optical disc using specific software.
ISO image file can be played by VLC, MPlayer, KMPlayer, SMplayer, Splayer and DAPlayer, etc.
Under Windows OS,
* ISO image file can be read by: WinRAR, WinMount, WinRAR3.0 or above
* ISO image file can be operated only by: WinISO, WinImage, Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, and WinMount, etc.
Related ISO Resource: How to Clone DVD to ISO Image and Mount DVD ISO
The usage of ISO Image
* Replicate CD/DVD by use of CD/DVD mastering programs, namely, further create a CD/DVD disc therefrom;
* Write the disc image to hard drive once, and record the same several times to different CD/DVDs to save processing time. Simply speaking, it is only necessary to duplicate the CD/DVD once before creating DVDs from ISO file as many times as possible;
* Create a disc image file to be written to CD/DVD on another system (UNIX, Macintosh);
* Backup CD/DVD data. More actually, all data and contents can be copied such that ISO file can be taken as a backup;
* Act as a virtual CD/DVD drive. ISO image file can be mounted to a virtual drive as if a physical disc was loaded in the drive or treated as a regular Compact Disc inside a computer while maintaining the original structure of CD/DVD, which is convenient for further DVD burning;
* Transfer CD/DVD images over the Internet.
The Advantages of ISO Image
* One single file merged with multiple files
* Easy to burn
* Virtual disc acting like a physical one
The Disability of ISO Image
* Unable to store and recreate CD-Audio discs
* Unable to be mounted to a USB flash drive
WinX DVD Author: Completely free but clean DVD authoring software, helps you easily convert and burn home DVD from video files, camcorder, webcam, Youtube MKV, M2TS, M4V, MP4, FLV, MPEG, MOV, RM, RMVB, H.264, AVI to DVD, and personalize it with DVD chapter menu and subtitle.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum: Advanced version of free WinX DVD Ripper. Besides converting DVD to AVI at fastest speed in excellent quality, also converting DVD to MP4, MPEG, MOV, WMV, FLV, M2TS, TS, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android, Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, Google, Sony, Nokia, Asus, Acer, etc. Makes perfect 1:1 DVD to ISO image/DVD folder copy and clone DVD to multi-track MPEG2 file with 5 minutes only. Constantly update to defeat upcoming DVD copy protections.
WinX DVD Ripper for Mac: Mac version of WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, runs perfectly on Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard, convert DVD to MP4, MOV that are playable on Mac computer, as well as iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV, etc.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe: Built in hundreds of A/V codecs and equipped with Photo Slideshow Maker and Website Video Downloader functions. As all-in-one HD Video Converter software, it helps you transcode HD video formats like convert AVCHD M2TS to MKV, convert Blu-ray to MKV, MKV to MP4, etc. Moreover, it is embedded with numerous profile settings for Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Microsoft portable devices, iOS, Android, Windows mobiles. Convert MKV to iPhone, convert MKV to iPad are good examples.
WinX HD Video Converter for Mac: Professional HD Video converter for converting HD Videos on Mac OS, provides the perfect solution to convert Blu-ray videos and videos from HDTV and HD camcorders, like JVC, Panasonic, Sony and Cannon to other formats. Also act as a Mac screen and camera video recorder, slideshow maker, YouTube video downloader, etc. Running perfectly on Mac OS X Mavericks/Mountain Lion/Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard.
Mount DVD ISO: Mount DVD ISO image file.
Copy DVD to Hard Drive : New DVD to hard drive copy software with smart DVD Info Reader.
Clone DVD to DVD : Clone DVD to DVD without any copy limitation.
Copy DVD to MPEG2: Copy DVD to a single MPEG2 file without quality loss
Convert DVD to MPEG: Convert DVD movie to MPEG format to achieve excellent image/sound quality.
Related External Source
ISO Image - An ISO image (International Organization for Standardization) is an archive file (also known as a disc image) of an optical disc, composed of the data contents of every written sector of an optical disc...
UDF - UDF (Universal Disk Format) is an implementation of the specification known as ISO/IEC 13346 and ECMA-167 and is an open vendor-neutral file system for computer data storage...
- WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
- WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- WinX DVD Copy Pro
- WinX DVD Ripper for Mac
- WinX HD Video Converter for Mac
- WinX DVD to iPhone Ripper
- WinX iPhone Ripper for Mac
- WinX iPhone Video Converter
- WinX iPhone Converter for Mac
- WinX Bluray DVD iPad Ripper
- WinX DVD to iPad Ripper for Mac
- WinX iPad Video Converter
- WinX Mobile Video Converter