What is AVI - Audio Video Interleave - Video Format
What is AVI?
AVI means Audio Video Interleave, is a multimedia container format introduced by Microsoft in November 1992 as part of its Video for Windows technology. AVI files can contain both audio and video data in a file container that allows synchronous audio-with-video playback. Although some features, such as mulitiple streaming audio and video, are seldom used, AVI files also support them like the DVD video format.
The AVI file type is primarily associated with 'Audio Video Interleave File'. Recent files might be compressed with one or another codecs (like DivX and XviD). It can also be seen with VLC Player, MPlayer, The KMPlayer.
Uncompressed AVI: AVI files can be created with no Compression, resulting in extremely large file sizes, but with no loss of quality from the input video to the saved file. This also requires no codecs to be installed, either for saving or playback. This is generally not recommended.
Advantage of AVI:
1. Choice of codecs means you can achieve a high rate compression if you experiment.
2. AVI can play in mainstream media players such as Windows Media Player.
3. AVI Can be used as a starting point to create playable DVDs.
Disadvantage of AVI:
1. AVI does not provide a standardized way to encode aspect ratio information, with the result that players cannot select the right one automatically (though it may be possible to do so manually).
2. Cannot contain some specific types of VBR data(such as MP3 audio at sample rates below 32KHz) reliably.
3. Overhead for AVI files at the resolutions and frame rates normally used to encode feature films is about 5 MB per hour of video, the significance of which varies with the application.
4. AVI was not intended to contain video using any compression technique which requires access to future video frame data beyond the current frame. Approaches exist to support modern video compression techniques (e.g. MPEG-4) which rely on this functionality, although this is beyond the intent of the original specification and may cause problems with playback software which does not anticipate this use.
5. AVI is not intended to contain variable frame rate material. Workarounds for this limitation increase overhead dramatically.
6. There are several competing approaches to including time-code in AVI files, which affects usability of the format in film and television postproduction (although it is widely used). An equivalent of the Broadcast Wave extensions, designed to standardize postproduction metadata for wave audio files, has not emerged.
The Future of AVI Video
More recent container formats, such as Matroska (MKV), Ogg and MP4, solve all these problems, although software is freely available to both create and correctly replay AVI files which use these new techniques.
Still have question about AVI video format? Please feel free to Mail Us >>
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum: Advanced version of free WinX DVD Ripper. Besides converting DVD to AVI at fastest speed in excellent quality, also converting DVD to MP4, MPEG, MOV, WMV, FLV, M2TS, TS, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Android, Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, Google, Sony, Nokia, Asus, Acer, etc. Makes perfect 1:1 DVD to ISO image/DVD folder copy and clone DVD to multi-track MPEG2 file with 5 minutes only. Constantly update to defeat upcoming DVD copy protections.
WinX DVD Ripper for Mac: Mac version WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, best DVD converter for Yosemite/Mavericks/Mountain Lion/Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard, convert DVD to MP4, H.264, MOV, M4V videos that are playable on Mac computer, as well as DVD to iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV, iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Air Playit, Android, etc.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe: Built in hundreds of A/V codecs and equipped with Photo Slideshow Maker and Website Video Downloader functions. As all-in-one HD Video Converter software, it helps you transcode HD video formats like convert AVCHD M2TS to MKV, convert Blu-ray to MKV, MKV to MP4/H.265, etc. Moreover, it is embedded with numerous profile settings for Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Microsoft portable devices, iOS, Android, Windows mobiles. Convert MKV to iPhone, MKV to iPad are good examples.
WinX HD Video Converter for Mac: Professional HD Video converter for converting HD Videos on Mac OS, provides the perfect solution to convert Blu-ray videos and videos from HDTV and HD camcorders, like JVC, Panasonic, Sony and Cannon to other formats. Also act as a Mac screen and camera video recorder, slideshow maker, YouTube video downloader, etc. Running perfectly on Mac OS X Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite.
Convert DVD to AVI: Rip and convert DVD to AVI or other Video Formats on Windows PC
AVI to iPhone Converter: Convert AVI to iPhone compatible video with a perfect AVI to iPhone converter
Convert HD Video to AVI: Convert HD Video to AVI with WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
Best Free AVI Converter: Free AVI Converter - Convert FLV/MP4/WMV to AVI
Convert MP4 to AVI: Tutorial to Convert MP4 to AVI with Only A Few Clicks
Related External Source
AVI Knowledge from WikiPedia- Audio Video Interleaved (also Audio Video Interleave), known by its initials AVI, is a multimedia container format introduced by Microsoft in November 1992 as part of its Video for Windows technology...
AVI Knowledge from Afterdawn - Standing for Audio Video Interleave, is a Container format used by Microsoft's Video for Windows multimedia framework...
AVI Knowledge from File-ext - Recent files might be compressed with one or another codecs (compression standard). It can also be seen with QuickTime and RealPlayer (available for the Mac)...
- WinX DVD Ripper Platinum Platinum
- WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe
- WinX DVD Copy Pro
- WinX DVD Ripper Platinum for Mac
- WinX HD Video Converter for Mac
- WinX DVD to iPhone Ripper
- WinX iPhone Ripper for Mac
- WinX iPhone Video Converter
- WinX iPhone Converter for Mac
- WinX DVD to iPad Ripper
- WinX DVD to iPad Ripper for Mac
- WinX iPad Video Converter
- WinX Mobile Video Converter